- 1. Simple Present vs. Present Continuous When do we use each tense?
- Use thesimple presentfor:
- 1) ROUTINES: action that happens repeatedly (habitual action)
- 2) general or permanent situations
- Use thepresent continuousfor:
- Something that is happening now or close to the time of speaking
Examples . . . 3. PRESENT SIMPLE Routines 4.
- Simple Present (Examples)
- Tomgoesfishing every week.
- I usuallyworkuntil 2:00 p.m.
- My familycomesto visit me every year.
5. Frequency adverbs 6.
- Everyday, year, night, morning, weekend, century
- Once / twice / three times a week/a month / a year
- Simple Present (More Examples)
- 2) General or Permanent Situations:
- Jackdoesnt workon Saturday.
- Waterboilsat 100 degrees Celsius.
- The Eiffel Towerisin Paris.
- Present Continuous (Examples)
- 1) Action happening now or close to time of speaking:
- Wheres Tom? He s playingsoccer.
- Dont bother the kids. Theyare doingtheir homework.
- Martha and her husbandare travellingaround Europe for two weeks.
- Lisais livingwith friends until she finds an apartment.
- Present Continuous . . . Time expressions
- We are reviewing the present continous at the moment
- Here are some reminders about how tomakethe simple present and present continuous:
11. Simple Present :
- The most important thing to remember about this tense is . . .
- 3 rdperson singular (he, she, it)
work 12. Simple Present:
- But for 3 rdperson singular, we say . . .
work s 13. Simple Present (Negative)
doesn't don't simple form of VERB + Examples . . . 14.
- 1) Sara works on Sunday. Saradoesnt workon Sunday. 2) They have a big house. Theydont havea big house. 3) Sam takes classes at night. Samdoesnt takeclasses at night. 4) I have a lot of free time. Idont havea lot of free time.
15. Simple Present (Interrogative?)
- Ex. Do you study English? Yes, I do.
simple form of VERB + + 16. Present Continuous:
- Dont forget that VERB BE is part of this structure.
verb -ING + 17.
- Theyare celebratingtheir 40 thanniversary today.
- Iam cleaningmy house this week.
- Present Continuous(Negative)
- For this tense, simply ADD the wordNOTafter the verb BE.
- They areNOTworking today.(arent)
- She is taking a Math class.
- She isNOTtaking a Math class.(isnt)
19. Present Continuous(Interrogative ?)
- Are you playing football right now? No, Im not.
+ + 20.
- Some verbs are NOT typically used in the present continuous tense.Instead, we prefer to use these verbs in the simple present.
- These verbs are calledSTATIVE(or non-action) verbs. Here are some examples:
- believe understand have (possession)
- NOT: She is having a big house.
- NOT: I am preferring to have coffee.
_____________ _____________ _____________ 22.
- Do these exercises with your class.
- Choose the simple present or present continuous and discusswhyeach is correct.
- 1. On Tuesdays, I ________ (go) to the gym.
- 2. Karen ________ (paint) her apartment this week.
- 3. This room __________ (be) very large.
- 4. He _________ (have) a headache right now.
- 5. It ________ (rain) really hard right now.
- 6. Where is John? He _______ (work).
- 7. I ________ (meet) my friend in a few minutes.
- 8. My family ________ (come) to San Diego often.
- 1.On Tuesdays , Igoto the gym.
- 2. Karenis paintingher apartmentthis week .
- 3. This roomisvery large.(fact)
- 4. Hehasa headache right now.(stative)
- 5. Itis rainingreally hardright now .
- 6. Where is John? Heis working .(right now)
- 7. Iam meetingmy friendin a few minutes .
- 8. My familycomesto San Diegooften .
24. PAST SIMPLE TENSE 25. AFFIRMATIVE FORM
- (IRREGULAR VERBS LIST AT THE BACK OF YOUR BOOK)
27. Affirmative of Regular Verbs
- All Persons add EDto the Base Form:
28. SPELLING the ED ending
- Regular verbs ending in :
- I lived , you decided , he liked,
- I studied, He tidied, (vs: I pl ayed )
- 3. CVC: 1consonant+ 1Vowel+ 1consonant: Double the consonant:
- She planned , they stopped,
29. Pronouncing the ED:
- Plenty of pronunciation practice:
30. Affirmative of Irregular Verbs
- You mustlearn them by heart:
- AnIrregular Verbs in GroupsList: