SIGNIFICANCE OF CONTINOUS EDUCATION IN HEALTH CARE
Embed Size (px)
This presentation is prepared to motivate my colleagues & build up their interest in attending CPDs
Transcript of SIGNIFICANCE OF CONTINOUS EDUCATION IN HEALTH CARE
- 1. SIGNIFICANCE OF CONTINUING EDUCATION IN HEALTH CARE. BY, CHINJU JOJI, RN BANIYAS CLINIC
- 2. Learning throughout life is the key to a better future. - The Delors Report to UNESCO in 1995
- 3. OBJECTIVES At the end of the session, the participants should be able to, 1. List few examples of outdated knowledge in medical field 2. Define continuing education 3. Enlist the activities included in continuing education 4. List the steps in CPD Cycle 5. Identify the sources of professional knowledge. 6. Enumerate the individual benefits of CPD 7. Identify the barriers 8. Explain the benefits of organization through CPD
- 4. Infectious hepatitis now hepatitis A Serum hepatitis now hepatitis B Non A non B hepatitis now hepatitis C Example of outdated knowledge
- 5. Diabetes was checked formerly by urine ketones instead of blood glucose Alcohol bad for the liver but good for the heart ?
- 6. 50 years ago radical mastectomy and radiotherapy Now lumpectomy HRT was used to protect the heart now considered harmful
- 7. Flu vaccine under age 5 was routinely recommended in the past Chest x-ray to scan for lung cancer
- 8. What is the half life of medical knowledge? Any new information we may gather has a half-life of 5 years.
- 9. In 2000 285 of 474 conclusions (60%) were still considered to be true, 91 (19%) were considered to be obsolete, and 98 (21%) were considered to be false.
- 10. Lifelong learning is important, but no more important than.. clinical judgment, common sense and a critical evaluation of new information.
- 11. DEFINITION CE has been defined synonymously as lifelong learning or professional development.
- 12. It consists of any educational activity which helps to maintain, develop or increase knowledge, problem-solving, technical skills or professional performance standards all with the goal that healthcare professionals can provide better health care. DEFINITION
- 13. Continuing education in healthcare consists of systematic learning experiences designed to enlarge the knowledge & skills of the professionals DEFINITION
- 14. CPD ACTIVITIES
- 15. Competence is the KEY to Quality Practice
- 16. CPD cycle
- 17. SOURCES OF PROFESSIONAL KNOWLEDGE
- 18. BENEFITS
- 19. BENEFITS
- 20. BENEFITS
- 21. BENEFITS
- 22. Barriers
- 23. How CPD benefits the organization
- 24. Helps maximize staff potential by linking learning to actions and theory to practice. Helps set SMART (specific, measurable, achievable, realistic and time-bound) objectives Promotes staff development. Helps to give a positive image/brand to organizations.
- 25. Conclusion Participation in continuing education is one hallmark of a professional.
- 26. BIBLIOGRAPHY Journal Articles > Continuing Education: A Bridge to Excellence in Critical Care Nursing (http://www.nursingcenter.com) http://www.nursing.umn.edu/continuing-professional- development/ www.csun.edu/.../CE http://www.slideshare.net http://aile.atauni.edu.tr
- 27. Thank you.