Mobile Azalea Trail
Embed Size (px)
Transcript of Mobile Azalea Trail
Mobile Azalea Trail
History of the Azalea TrailThe Azalea Trail began in 1929. Its an actual trail.The Mobile Junior Chamber of Commerce (Jaycees) was trying to encourage the citizens of Mobile to plant azalea plants along the streets as a city-wide beautification project. The lined streets became known as the Azalea Trail. It was originally 37 miles long and was marked by the Pink Line.People from all over the nation were invited to the cutting of the ribbon which officially opened the trail in February 1929. What are Azalea Trail Maids?Originally, the Maids could come from anywhere, not just Mobile. This led to the founding of the Americas Junior Miss program in 1958.Now, the court consists of 50 girls from throughout Mobile County who appear in local and nation wide events throughout a year.
Azalea Trail Maids are considered to be the prime example of southern charm and hospitality. They are the ambassadors of the city.
Originally, the Azalea Trail Maid Court consisted of 10 girls that gathered for only 3 days.
Mobile History1702- Mobile was founded by brothers Pierre Le Moyne dIberville and Jean-Baptiste Le Moyne de Bienville as Fort Louis de la Louisiane and became French Louisianas capital at Twenty-Seven Mile Bluff.1711-Mobile moved to its present location due to flooding.1720- Capital of French Louisiana is moved to Biloxi.
Fun FactThe name Mobile derived from the Mobile or Mauvila Indians that once inhabited the region.1717-Fort Cond built for settlement and defense1763- The Treaty of Paris signed giving the Louisiana territory to the British 1780- In the Battle of Fort Chaplott, the Spanish took control of Mobile.1813- U.S. General James Wilkinson seized Mobile during the War of 1812.1814- Alabama became a State.
1861- Alabama seceded from the Union to join the Confederate States of AmericaAugust 5, 1864- Battle of Mobile Bay (Union Victory)Mobile was the last major port (fourth largest city) in the Confederacy at that pointApril 12, 1865- Alabama joined the United States, again.
Union Admiral David FarragutThe Six Flags that Fly Over MobileTry to think of them in order of our history:
FrenchBritishSpanishAlabamaConfederate States of AmericaUnited States of AmericaState EmblemsState bird Yellow hammerState flowerCamelliaState tree Longleaf pineState nutPecanState motto We Dare Defend Our RightsState song Alabama (from a poem written by Julia Tutwiler in 1931)CapitalMontgomeryHelen Keller was featured on the Alabama coin in 2003.
8Mobiles Schedule of EventsJanuarySenior BowlFebruaryMardi GrasMarchAzalea Trail RunHistoric Homes TourFestival of FlowersAprilDauphin Island RegattaMayBlessing of the FleetLPGA TournamentJuneDistinguished Young Woman Finals
JulyGrand Bay Watermelon FestivalAlabama Deep Sea Fishing RodeoOctoberBayfestGreater Gulf State FairNovemberInternational FestivalDecemberGo Daddy.com BowlCandlelight Christmas at OakleighChristmas at Richards DAR HouseBellingraths Magic Christmas in LightsMoonpie over Mobile (New Years Eve)
Laissez-Les Bonnes Temps Rouler!(Let the Good Times Roll)Mobile is the home of American Mardi Gras!The first Mardi Gras celebration in the New World took place in Mobile in 1703. According to legend, the founder was named Nicholas Langlois.New Orleans did not begin celebrating until 1723.The oldest parading society in Mobile is the Order of Myths (OOMs). They parade on Fat Tuesday every year.
The Order of Myths InsigniaDuring the parade, folly chases death on the emblem float.Joe CainDuring the Civil War, Mardi Gras was not celebrated in MobileIn 1866 Joe Cain changed that.Union troops still occupying the city heard what they thought was a gunshot. What they heard was Cain dressed as a Chickasaw Indian, Chief Slacabamornico. With this he revived Mardi Gras in Mobile.Joe Cain is buried in Church Street Cemetery. His widows visit his grave each year on Joe Cain Sunday, the Sunday before Fat Tuesday.
Joe Cain dressed as Chief SlacabamorinicoJoe Cains grave in Church Street Cemetery
Mobiles Historic DistrictsOakleigh Garden District: Lies along and south of Government Street; One of the largest historic districts, it includes the following:Washington Square ParkMany homes built in the late 1800Oakleigh Period House Museum Complex Old Dauphin Way Historic District: Covers a large area of midtown bounded by Springhill Avenue, Houston, Broad, and Government StreetsCampground Historic District: Located in the vicinity of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Avenue and Rylands Lane; the most recent to be designated a historic district
Districts continuedLeinkauf Historic District: Bounded by Government, Eslava, Lamar, and Monterey Streets; The centerpiece is Leinkauf Elementary School (1904)Ashland Place Historic District: Bounded by Springhill Avenue, Ryan and Levert Avenues, and Old Shell Road; Includes Ashland Place fire station and the Visitation Monastery Convent (1855)Midtown Historic District: Roughly bounded by Springhil Avenue, Houston, Florida, and Government Streets; Includes Murphy High SchoolDeTonti Square Historic District: Located in the northern part of downtown near Water Street; Many of the structures show intricate iron-work on balconies, including the Richards-DAR HouseMobiles Five Historic House-MuseumsThe house has 18 rooms. The ceilings throughout the downstairs are 15 feet high.It was purchased in 1931 by Mr. and Mrs. A. S. Mitchell. The current restoration began in 1986.The operators maintain it is the most photographed home in the South.
Bragg-Mitchell Mansion: Built in 1855 by Judge John Bragg (brother of Confederate General Braxton Bragg)designed for entertaining
Conde-Charlotte Museum House: Built to serve as Mobiles first official jail for old Fort Conde
It was started in 1822 and completed in 1844.Approximately in the 1850s, it was converted into a residence, known as the Kirkbride House.It is now a house museum furnished to depict the periods of Mobiles history under its various flags.Each room is furnished to reflect a period and a nationality.
Oakleigh Period House and Historic Complex
The Oakleigh home dates to 1833. The first owner, James Roper, also designed it. The home has a unique winding staircase that characterizes the home.Right next to Oakleigh is the Cox-Deasy Cottage, a middle class home dating to 1850.The Oakleigh complex is home to the Historic Mobile Preservation Society.
Richards-D.A.R. House Museum: Built in 1860 Captain Charles and Caroline RichardsFamous for its wrought iron lace that decorates the front faade depicts the four seasonsBought by Ideal Cement Company in 1946 which used it for office space. The company presented it to the City of Mobile in 1973.The city leased it to the six chapters of the Daughters of the American Revolution.
Carlen House Museum: Located on the campus of Murphy High School 19th century rural farmhouseDepicts a simpler time in its displays of period furnishings, tools, clothing, toiletries, table-settings, and other mementoes from the period
Phoenix Fire MuseumLocated near the Civic CenterHas a unique collection of authentic turn-of-the century steam engines as well as other fire fighting equipmentMany of the volunteers were fire fighters
Exploreum Museum of ScienceConveniently located at the corner of Government and Water Streets, just across from the Mobile Convention Center.The building itself is historic. It was formerly the Matt Sloan Fire Station. Opened in its current location in 1998 The museum features over 150 exhibits, both permanent and rotating.The Exploreum also houses the only IMAX theater in Mobile.
**Just across from the Exploreum, at the foot of Government Street, is a statue of Admiral Raphael Semmes, Captain of the CSS Alabama during the Civil War.**
Mobile Medical Museum (formerly Eichold-Heustis Medial Museum of the South )Dr. Samuel Eichold a physician, educator, civil leader, and philanthropist; founded the first camp for diabetic children in 1947.Dr. James F. Heustis native Mobilian and prominent member of the medical profession in Mobile for many years.Contains the Southeasts largest collection of medical artifactsLocated on Springhill Avenue next to Mobile Infirmary
Museum of MobileHoused in the Southern Market/ Old City Hall (185-1857) on South Royal Street The museum contains a permanent exhibit displaying the history of Mobile from colonization to the 21st century.It also houses traveling exhibits and hosts various events including private parties, weddings, and book signings.
Mobile Carnival MuseumOpened in 2005Located on Government Boulevard in the historic Bernstein-Bush home.The museum has three levels and features 14 gallery rooms, a pictorial hallway, theater, gathering den, and gift shop.The museum displays various monarchs gowns, costumes, crowns, and scepters. It also features videos on costume design, coronations, float construction, and past parades.
Battleship Memorial ParkThe USS Alabama was laid in water in 1940. It served in World War II in the Pacific and saw 37 months of active duty.In 1962, the U.S. Navy announced that the ship would be scrapped. By 1964, Alabama school children raised over $100,000 to bring the Mighty A to Mobile.The ship opened to public tours in 1965.On July 4, 1969, the park opened the WWII submarine USS Drum to tours.Today the park also features over twenty military aircraft in the over 36,000 square-foot aircraft pavilion.
Mobile Museum of ArtOpened on September 6, 2002Largest art museum along the Gulf Coast from New Orleans to TampaOverlooks Mobiles Langan Park, across the street from the Playhouse in the ParkHome to the Pallette Cafe
Saenger TheaterOpened on January 19, 1927It was the 61st Saenger Theater opened in the South (named for the owner).It took o