Electromagnetisms transportation (hyperloop)
Embed Size (px)
Transcript of Electromagnetisms transportation (hyperloop)
Elon musk and the idea of hyperloopElon Reeve Musk(born in June 28, 1971) is a South African-bornbusiness magnate,investor,engineer andinventor.He is the founder, CEO, and CTO ofSpaceX; co-founder, CEO, and product architect ofTesla Inc.; co-founder and chairman ofSolarCity; co-chairman ofOpenAI; co-founder ofZip2; and founder of X.com, which merged withConfinityand took the namePayPal.Musk has stated that the goals of SolarCity, Tesla, and SpaceX revolve around his vision to change the world and humanity. His goals include reducingglobal warmingthroughsustainable energyproduction and consumption, and reducing the "risk ofhuman extinction" by "making life multiplanetary by setting up a humancolony on Mars.He has also envisioned a high-speedtransportation systemknown as theHyperloop.
What is hyperloop?The Hyperloop is a conceptproposedby billionaire inventor Elon Musk, CEO the aerospace firmSpaceX. It is a reaction to theCalifornia High-speed Rail systemcurrently under development, a bullet train system that Musk feels is lackluster, as it will be one of the most expensive and slow-moving in the world.Musks Hyperloop consists of two massive tubes stretching between San Francisco and Los Angeles. Pods carrying passengers would travel through the tubes at speeds topping out over 700 mph. Imagine the pneumatic tubes people inThe Jetsonsuse to move around buildings, but on a much bigger scale. For propulsion, magnetic accelerators will be planted along the length of the tube, propelling the pods forward. The tubes would house a low pressure environment, surrounding the pod with a cushion of air that permits the pod to move safely at such high speeds, like a puck gliding over an air hockey table.
Given the tight quarters in the tube, pressure build up in front of the pod could be a problem. The tube needs a system to keep air from building up in this way.Musks design recommends an air compressor on the front of the pod that will move air from the front to the tail, keeping it aloft and preventing pressure building up due to air displacement. A one way trip on the Hyperloop is projected to take about 35 minutes (for comparison, traveling the same distance by car takes roughly six hours.)
HISTORYDue to high traffic, US government proposed a high speed train project etween San Francisco to LA called ; California High Speed Rail (68.4 bil)the average speed is 164 mph and takes approx 3 hrshyperloop-7.8 bil USD with 35 minsin past, Robert Goddard proposed using vacuum.Elon musk,using low pressure with the use of electromagnetic suspension.
kANTROWITZ LIMITAir between inside of tube and outside of the loop.analogy of a syringe will describe the meaning of this limit.the use of electric compressor fan mounted on the nose of the pod
Theory & Operation of Hyperloop
Problem of High speed rail - Friction & Air resistance Solution = Concept Vactrain ( Vacuum Tube Train) Apply concept > magnetically float trains . speed 1000 miles per hour However , this vactrain need higher cost . Hyperloop resemble the vactrain ( ~100 pa)Immune to weather & never crashed
Initial Design concept
Designed Capsule / Pods ( Partial Vacuum)Float on 0.5 mm to 1.3 mm Linear Induction Motors Reduce air resistance & No rolling resistanceResolve air pressure Alpha - Level Concept > 1220km/h maintain aerodynamic efficiency No Sonic Boom
SCIENCE BEHIND THE HYPERLOOP(VACUUM TUBESS)
1. Electromagnetic motorCapsules are propelled by air pressure like in vacuum tubes but by electromagnetic motors Instead of using a permanent magnet motor, the system would use a linear induction motor. Magnets inside the tubes act as the stator, or the part in a traditional electric motor that do not move. Rotors, the moving part, would be contained inside capsule.
2. Low air pressureWhen the capsules travels in high speed, thus it creating a cushion of air that will slow down the moving.A compressor fan was featured in front of the capsules to absorb the air and push it back for additional propulsion and carry the capsule fast again.
3. FrictionIn order to reduce friction of the capsules, Hyperloop installed the air bearing under the capsule.The air from the compressed air will flow down towards the air bearing and will achieved it top speed of 480kmH.
4. STABLEThe track design is self immune to an earthquake of any disaster.The pillars under it will sway itself in case of ground moving that may occur danger to the hyperloop.
5. Powered by solar energyThe solar panel supply power to the electric motor and gain energy for an automated movement without driver.
ADVANTAGES AND DISADVANTAGES OF HYPERLOOP!!!
ADVANTAGESFaster and conveniencelower costpollution freeimmune to weatherresistance to earthquakesustainably self powering
DISADVANTAGEShigh speed causes dizzinessinsufficient movable space for passanger