Civic Engagement in Washington, DC
Embed Size (px)
Transcript of Civic Engagement in Washington, DC
- 1. CIVIC LEADERSHIP As imagined by Rory Slatko
- 2. Advisory Neighborhood Commissioner ANC 3D Chairman Organizing Labs, Inc. Facilitator for Leadership Theory and Development The Leadership Academy Regional Director NACURH, Inc. Training and Public Engagement Associate Truman National Security Project Rory Slatko Class: Junior School: SPA Major: PoliSci Hometown: Originally from Delaware
- 3. INTRODUCTION Shifting power in a shifting world
- 4. - Parag Khanna, Foreign Policy The 21st century will not be dominated by America or China, Brazil or India but by the city.
- 5. A majority of the worlds population now lives in metropolitan areas.
- 6. What are you doing while youre in this city?
- 7. And what about this city?
- 8. LOCAL CIVICS The communities that were a part of
- 9. National Capital Region Policy decisions have an impact on the entire metro area, and are often made in a regional context.
- 10. District of Columbia Central cities are now growing faster than their suburbs.
- 11. Northwest Largest quadrant, including the central business district, the Federal Triangle, and the museums along the northern side of the National Mall.
- 12. Ward 3 Our representation at the city-wide level happens by Ward. Were represented by Councilmember Mary Cheh.
- 13. ANC 3D Your Backyard: Foxhall, Kent, New Mexico/Cathedral, Palisades, Spring Valley, Wesley Heights
- 14. ANC My experience in local government
- 15. What is an ANC? The Advisory Neighborhood Commissions Act of 1975 created ANCs to represent residents.
- 16. Deciding to Run
- 17. Working for Students Big Project #1: Mayors Task Force on Students in Higher Education
- 18. ORGANIZING LABS Big Project #2
- 19. Im elected. Now what? So what?
- 20. Communities require cultivation. Thats the idea were putting into practice.
- 21. Were shifting the focus.
- 22. Our mission is to empower the next generation of organizers with innovative trainings, technologies, and strategies to create change in their local communities and governments.
- 23. GET INVOLVED How to be a part of local changemaking
- 24. ANC Organizing Labs Everything in between
- 25. QUESTIONS Twitter @RorySlatko LinkedIn roryslatko Facebook rory.slatko Email firstname.lastname@example.org