Suffixes Lesson 128. Suffixes A suffix is a word part added to the end of a base word. Adding a...
Embed Size (px)
Transcript of Suffixes Lesson 128. Suffixes A suffix is a word part added to the end of a base word. Adding a...
A suffix is a word part added to the end of a base word.Adding a suffix makes a new word with a different meaning.
Some adjectives change the spelling of the word when adding a suffix. Adverbs do not change their spellings.Some words change their part of speech and their spelling when a suffix is added.
When an adjective ends in a consonant and y, change the y to i before adding er or est.When an adjective ends with an e, drop the e before adding er or est.
When an adjective has only one vowel and ends in a consonant, double the final consonant before adding er or est.
1. Miranda is a reporter for the local newspaper.
2. Once a thief made an agreement to talk with her.
6. It would be ____ if you would do the dishes.
7. A fox is a ____ animal.
1. She is frequently late for school.
2. The Pilgrims made a new settlement in Massachusetts.
7. Jonathan is a ____ person.
thoughtful or thoughtless
8. The roses in Mrs. Smith’s garden are ____.
9. We were very ____ after the race.
Apply and Write
Many adjectives that describe weather have suffixes. Write about
today’s weather. Underline the adjectives that contain