Embed Size (px)
About Jim Coffey
Transcript of Jim Coffey
- 1. Jim Coffey The story so far......
- 1948 I was the third son born to Jim and Annie Coffey in Rialto , Dublin. My brothers Frank and Martin were very special to me and although we lost Martin in 1993 Frank and I have remained very close.
- My dad was an active member of the IRA during the War of Independence 1919-1921. He was imprisoned in Kilmainham Gaol after being captured by the Black and Tans. Photo left shows me on a recent visit to the gaol which is now a museum.
- The Coffeys were stone masons ,carvers, sculptors, cutters and fixers and there were few churches in the Dublin area that have not benefited from their skills.
- 1963 My eldest brother Frank was the first grandson to break with the family tradition in the marble business and he joined A. Guinness Son & Co. Ltd and I followed his lead and joined Guinness in 1963.
- Guinness of the 60s was a strong company employing over three thousand people and they provided great opportunities for furthering your education. Having left St.Jamess C.B.S. At the age of 15 to commence work I was happy to complete my studies and obtain my Leaving Certificate at night school which was sponsored by the company. I was also able to take additional courses in marketing which were sponsored by Guinness and I enjoyed representing the company at a Conference of Youth in Industry at the Royal Albert Hall London and on board the Tall Ship Sir Winston Churchill.
- 1968 I met my wife to be Lilian on SS Ugandas cruise to the Mediterranean in October, we visited Bordeaux, Tangiers, Malaga, Gibraltar and Lisbon.
- 1972 I left Guinness and joined Kraft Foods as a salesman selling bulk margarines shortenings and fondant icing sugar to the Bakery Trade in the greater Dublin area.
- 1978 I was promoted to Regional Sales Manager covering the territory south of a line from Dublin to Galway and responsible for all sales including Retail, Bakery and Foodservice.
- 1980. I was promoted to National Sales Manager with responsibility for all sales of Kraft products within the Republic of Ireland. This involved running the dedicated sales teams for Retail, Bakery and Foodservice. The real Challenge of the day was dealing with the FMCG sector which boasted the big guns such as Quinnsworth, Dunnes Stores, Superquinn, H.Williams. Musgraves Super-Value and new boys on the block Tesco.
- During my time as National Sales Manager we successfully launched the a new range of table margarines Luxury Blend, Kraft Soft 4lb Tub, Vitalite, and from the Kraft salad dressings range Miracle Whip, Kraft Salad Bar for Retail, Cracker-barrel Cheese, We re-launched Philadelphia Cream Cheese and successfully positioned it as the market leader in its sector. We enjoyed huge success in the Foodservice sector as Kraft were leaders in developing dressings, cheese slices and sauces for the fast food market.
- I attended the Kraft European Managers Annual Seminar every year in Montreux Switzerland where we presented our annual plan for the approval of the European Vice President and his Management Team.
- 1985 I decided to leave Kraft as I felt I had progresses as far as I could and although they offered me the position of MD designate to stay I left to join R.S.Sales Ltd. a small Irish owned company where there was an opportunity to acquire equity down the road.
- 1987 Managing Director R.S.Sales Ltd. and In 1992 I became a shareholder of the company adding additional shares in 2001 and 2002. During my time as MD we launched the Durabond Range of adhesives, the De Ville Range of window furnishings, we acquired the Harris Range of paint brushes and decorating tools, the Plasplugs Range of fixings, the Harrison Drape Range of window furnishings the HG Range of cleaners, Spur Shelving, and the Ettore Window Cleaning Range.
- We also out-sourced our Warehousing to P&O and Wincanton.
- 2003 I lead the MBO of R.S.Sales Ltd. and relocated the company HO to Dundrum.
- 2007 I lead the negotiating team in the deal to sell the company to Mc Loughlins.
- 2007 I started my new consultancy company Spirit Enterprises Ltd.
- 5. My Business Background A. Guinness Son & Co. Ltd.(1963-1972) Kraft Foods Ltd ( 1972-1985). R.S.Sales Ltd. (1985-2007) (2007 onwards-) Non Executive Chairman Java Republic 2009 onwards-
- 6. Highlights of my Life.
- My Folks
- My time in Guinness.
- Meeting Lilian.
- Joining Kraft
- Marrying Lilian
- Joining R.S.Sales Ltd.
- The birth of my children: Sharon Emma Stephen and David
- Managing Director R.S.Sales Ltd. Launching Durabond and De Ville.
- Working with the Tom Peters Team at the IMI.
- Presenting a Motivation Paper at the IMI Conference in Killarney.
- Heading up the MBO Team at R.S.Sales Ltd.
- Purchasing our Property in Cyprus.
- Emma & Pauls Wedding in Cyprus.
- Selling R.S Sales to Mc Loughlins.
- Dave Makes it with Dan & Becs.
- Founding Spirit Enterprises Ltd.
- Stephen & Karens Wedding in Marbella.
- The Birth of our grandson James.
- Sailing Around the World with Lilian on board the Oriana in 81 days.
- Grand Slam and Triple Crown with Sharon & Noel.
- Successfully launching the first Training and Consultancy Courses through Spirit Enterprises Ltd
- The Birth of Grand-daughter Anna,
- Chairman the Java Republic Roasting Company.
- 7. I am a family man and we enjoy sharing our joys
- 8. Memorable Moments .
- Gaelic Football
- 1976 All Ireland Final Dublin(3-8) v Kerry ( 0-10)
- 1977 All Ireland Semi Final Dublin (3-12) v Kerry(1-13)
- 1983 All Ireland Final Dublin(1-10) V Galway (1-08)
- Shamrock Rovers ( All Ireland selection) (3) v Brazil ( World Champions) (4) Dublin 1973
- Ireland (1)v England(0) Stuttgart 1988
- Ireland(1) v England(1) Cagliari 1990
- Ireland(1) v Italy(0) Giants Stadium N.Y.
- Rugby Irelands Triple Crowns.
- 1985 Ireland beat England 13-10 to win the Triple Crown.
- 2007 Ireland beat England 43-13 at Croke Park
- 2009 Ireland beat Wales 17-15 at Millennium Stadium Cardiff.
- Entertainment .
- Neil Diamond Croke Park the Point and Landsdown Road Dublin. Andrea Bocelli R.D.S. and the point Dublin. Paul Mc Cartney R.D.S. Christy Moore Vicar Street The Point and Waterford. The Womens Heart Tour with Mary & Frances Black, Maura OConnell, Dolores Keane, Eleanor Mc Evoy. Waterford and Dublin. Garth Brooks Croke Park.U2 & B.B.King The Point Depot. Dublin .Barbara Streisand, Castletown House Co. Kildare. Ray Charles Waterford. Kila at the Dun Laoghaire Festival of the World. Riverdance at the point. Andy Williams at the Point.
- President John F. Kennedys visit to Ireland 1963.
- Pope John Paul s visit to Ireland 1979.
- The Good Friday Peace Agreement 1998
- Irelands Presidency of the expanding EU 2004.
- Come to the edge,
- We might fall.
- Come to the edge,
- It is too high.
- Come to the edge
- They came,
- He pushed them,
- And they Flew.
- 10. My skills acquired through a life in business.
- Special Areas of Experience.
- Sales and Marketing, Brand Building, Purchasing. Logistics, Motivation. Negotiati