'Evaluation for NEI Peebles Electric Products.' Peebles (NEI Parson Peebles) of Great Britain bought...
Embed Size (px)
Transcript of 'Evaluation for NEI Peebles Electric Products.' Peebles (NEI Parson Peebles) of Great Britain bought...
NENP 12.4 EVALUATION
NEI PEEBLES ELECTRIC PRODUCTS
NEI PEEBLES NEMP 12.4 EVALUATION REVISION 2
9206010234 920522 PDR ADQCK 05000275 6 PDR
Prepared by: Ed Walters (RPE Mechanical)
Date: > f2
e. r~ Anil Kar (Electrical)
Lester Lew (Electrical)
Gagendra Bhatt (Electrical) Date: S- 22-gZ
Concurrence: sam arr nical)
Ed ahler (RPE Coordinator) Date: K2
Approval: Garr T' (NECSEZ)
Fet e an (NECS ) Date:
Mike Tres Projec Engineer) Date:
NEI PEEBLES NEMP 12e4 EVALUATION REVISION 2
The following excerpt from NRC Vendor Inspection Report 99901065/86-01 gives a synopsis of the history of the Generator Supplier: "The electrical generators for the emergency diesel engines installed at the Diablo Canyon Nuclear Power Plant were originally designed and manufactured by Electr'ical Products Incorporated (EPI) located in Cleveland, Ohio. Northern Engineering Industries Parson Peebles (NEI Parson Peebles) of Great Britain bought EPI in 1979 and renamed it Parson Peebles EPI. The manufacturing operations of parson peebles EpI ceased in the fall of 1984. Peebles Electrical Machines, a subsidiary of NEI Parson Peebles is currently manufacturing a spare electrical generator for the Diablo Canyon Nuclear Power Plant. Parson Peebles EPI is furnishing the design drawings and all the components available from their storage to Peebles Electrical Machines for the manufacture of an identical spare electrical generator." *** For the purposes of this evaluation, NEI Peebles
Electric Products Inc. in CLEVELAND shall be designated as "PEP", and Peebles Electric Machines in EDINBURGH Scotland shall be, designated as "PEM". ***
PEP was placed on PG&E's Qualified Suppliers List (QSL) based on PG&E Audit 89295S. Because of issues identified during follow-up Audit 90197S of this supplier, PG&E Quality Assurance requested a Technical Evaluation of the Quality Program in accordance with Procedure NEMP 12.4 (See Section VIII of this Evaluation for a summary of the Quality Assurance and Engineering Documents associated with the purchase and qualification of the Sixth Generator from PEP).
Revision 0 of this Evaluation was issued February 11, 1991. The 12.4 evaluation addresses all Audit Findings for (PEP), including the findings identified during PG&E's participation in the PEP audit of their subsupplier PEM. In addition to the technical evaluation of the audit findings, the 12.4 evaluation implemented the following compensatory actions: hardness test of the generator shaft (witnessed at PEM); tensile testing of the adhesive at PG&E's Technical & Ecological Services; additional design change and equivalency reviews to be performed by PEP. For each issue addressed, this evaluation also includes a statement of impact regarding the spare generator in stock at Diablo Canyon. The recommendation of Revision 0 of this document recommended that PEP remain on the QSL for the one time purchase of the Sixth Generator.
Revision 1 of this document was issued October 31, 1991. The purpose of this revision was to incorporate: recently Identified 10 CFR 21 Reports for Peebles; results of PG&E QA Audit 90197S Follow-Up; results of PG&E Independent Testing of Adhesive; results
NEI PEEBLES NEMP 12.4 EVALUATION REVISION 2 3
of Final Design Change and Procedure Equivalency Review performed by NEI Peebles. Again, the recommendation was that PEP remain on the QSL for the one time purchase of the Sixth Generator. The purpose of the final revision of this document (Revision 2) is to incorporate the results of two NRC Inspections, one of PEP and one of PEM. The results of these inspections were published after the issue of Revision 1 of the 12.4 Evaluation.
Following the issue of these reports by the NRC, there has been extensive communication between the NRC's Vendor Branch and PGGE regarding the qualification of the Sixth Generator purchased from PEP. One of the resolutions to the open items identified is the inclusion of Endurance Testing of the Engine-Generator Assembly at Diablo Canyon.
With the incorporation of the Endurance testing, the compensatory actions for the Sixth Generator now include verification to be performed at Diablo Canyon. As a result, a Replacement Part Evaluation in accordance with PG&E procedure NECS E3.12 is required. Therefore, the qualification of the generator purchased by order ZS-1539-AB-9 now includes the NEMP 12.4 Evaluation and Replacement Part Evaluation (RPE) E-7505. In addition, for clarification of the documentation, all compensatory actions previously performed by the supplier (i.e. design review, hardness test) have been incorporated into this RPE. Qualification of the spare generator will be based on this evaluation in conjunction with an RPE addressing specific verification activities for the spare. The verification activities for the spare will be the same as those for the Sixth Generator with the exception of the Pre-Operational Endurance Testing. The spare generator qualification will be based on the result of the endurance test of the Sixth generator and subsequent inspections of the spare.
To summarize Revision 2 of the Peebles NEMP 12.4 Evaluation documents the technical evaluation of all audit findings and issues raised by PG&E and the NRC, including a statement regarding the acceptability of the spare generator procured in 1986. RPE E-7505 documents all compensatory actions taken by PG&E to qualify the Sixth Generator.
NOTE: For Section I of this Evaluation, Product Performance, revision bars have been included in the margin. These bars are not included for the remaining sections, since they are complete rewrites. NEI PEEBLES NEMP 12.4 EVALUATION REVISION 2
4 I" 0
PRODUCT PERFORMANCE DOCUMENTATION (103 PAGES)
ENGINEERING EVALUATION OF STUD/ROD WELDING (23 PAGES)
ELECTRICAL ENGINEERING MEMO, GENERATOR TECHNICAL ISSUES (5 PAGES)
NEI PEEBLES NEMP 12.4 EVALUATION REVISION 2
1. NEMP 12.4, "Evaluation of Supplier Quality Programs"
EMM DC2-3322-BRH-E, Purchase Order ZS-1539-AB-9
Audit Report 90197S (CHRON 157900), PGSE Audit of PEP
Audit Report 9003 (CHRON 160680), PEP Audit of PEM
PG&E Procedure NECS E3.12. "Spare and Replacement Parts Evaluation (RPE)"
Action Request A0213896, Tracking for issue of DCN to reweld stator frame cover and modify Jacking Screw Holes on spare generator.
Action Request A0201157: Findings Audit 90197S, evaluate Parts, determine other affected purchase orders; Hold on spare generator; Issue Peebles NEMP 12.4 Evaluation Revision l.
8. PG6E Restricted Equipment List 9. Audit 90197S Follow-Up Report, 5/13/91 (CHRON 170329)
10. PG&E Letter to PEP, "Closeout of AFR's", Requested Addition Equivalency Reviews (CHRON 170457)
ll. Audit 90197S Follow-Up Report, 9/5/91 (CHRON 176519) 12. QA Specifications SP-D-Peebles, Revisions 3, 4, 5
13. PGSE Letter to PEP, "Corrective Actions forInitial Audit", (CHRON 159914) 14. NECS Letter to QA, "Criticality of Stator Housing",
15. EQS Source Inspection Plan for 1986 Purchase of Spare Generator, Plan DC-189, Reel 3436, Frame 2203
16. Preventive Maintenance Work Orders R0064768, R0073657.
17. PG&E PIMS Action Requests: A0208696, Stud/Rod Welding on spare generator; A0211541 Findings for Audit 9003, determine actions to maintain qualification; A0214809, Addition of Terminal Box Supports for Spare Generator.
18. NRC Inspection Report 99900772/91-01, PEP, Cleveland
NEI PEEBLES NEMP 12.4 EVALUATION REVISION 2
19. NRC Inspection Report 99901065/91-01, PEM, Edinburgh Scotland
20. NRC Inspection Reports 50-275/92-09 and 50-323/92-09, Notice of Violations regarding Generator Purchase
21. PG&E Letter DCL-92-034, Comments Regarding NRC Inspection Report 99900772/91-01
22. PG&E Letter DCL-92-092, Pre-operational Endurance Testing of the Sixth Emergency Diesel Generator
23. PG&E Letter DCL-92-117, Reply to Notice of Violation in NRC Reports 50-275/92-09 and 50-323/92-09
24. PEP response to NRC Inspection Report 99900772/91-01, PG&E CHRON ¹ 186276
25. PEM response to NRC Inspection Report 99901065/91-01 dated 27 April 1992.
26. NRC Licensee Contractor and Vendor Inspection Status Reports 99900772/82-01 (Reel 5014-173), 99901065/86-01 (Reel 5108-2284), 99900772/86-01 (Reel 5097-1018)
27. PEP Dedication Packages, PG&E Drawings 6011924-1-1, -2-1, 3 li 4 li 5 1 6 1 7 lg 8 li 9 1 10 1 ll 1
28. Letter from PG&E to PEP dated 10-29-90 CHRON 160229, Technical questions to be resolved and PEP Responses
29. Closed Audit Finding Reports 90-067 through 90-072 (Audit 90197S) CHRON 161334
30. Replacement Part Evaluation E-7075, Sixth Diesel Generator
31. PEP letter EF-3458 to PG&E dated January 17, 1992, CHRON ¹ 183532.
32. PEP letter EF-3466 to PG&E dated May 20, 1992,