- 1. What is Bullying? 6 thGrade Brandy Heaffner
2. Did you know?
- The word bully used to mean the total opposite of what it means now.
- Five hundred years ago, it meant friend, family member or sweetheart.
- The root of the word comes from the Dutch boel, meaning lover or brother.
3. Bullying can be...
- One person making fun of another.
- One person trying to beat up another.
- A group of people ganging up against others.
4. How does it make you feel? Alone Hurt Depressed 5. Does it have to be a part of growing up?
- Each and every person has the right to feel safe in your life and good about yourself.
6. The 3 types of Bullying. 7. The three types with examples
- Refusing to talk to someone
- Spreading lies and rumors about someone
- Making someone feel left out or rejected
- Hitting, Kicking, or Pushing someone
- Stealing, Hiding or ruining someone's things
- Making someone do something he or she doesn't want to do
Relationship Bullying Verbal Bullying Physical Bullying 8. Who is a Bully? 9. All bullies have one thing in common:
- Something or someone is making them feel insecure.
- ~Therefore they bully to make themselves feel better.
- They could have something going on in their family.
- They might not feel like they are getting enough attention from parents or teachers.
- They might have watched their parents or older siblings get their way by being angry and pushy.
- Maybe they are also bullied.
- They might be spoiled by their parents.
10. Who is a Target for Bullying? 11. Possible reasons for being a Target.
- The bully or the target are either smaller or bigger than most kids their age.
- The target may be a minority.
- Maybe you have a name that is not ordinary.
12. Possible reasons for being a Target.
- If you get anxious or upset easily.
- If you usually are alone and don't have many friends.
- If you don't have a lot of confidence and don't stand up for yourself.
13. How to Deal with Bullying!! 14. What to do In the moment Continued Respond to the Bully evenly and firmly Write it down so you dont forget to tell someone Talk about it to someone else Dont show them that you are upset Dont get angry Dont Cry Dont even look at them Pretend you didnt hear them Ignore them! 15. In the moment continued Talk to an adult! Remember you are not the one with the problem.The bully is. Go somewhere that an adult is present. Remove yourself from the situation. Turn and walk away. Turn the comment into a joke. 16. Ways to avoid future bullying
- Dont bring expensive things or money to school.
- Label your belongings with permanent marker in case they get stolen.
- Avoid unsupervised areas.
- Sit near the bus driver on the bus or walk with a teacher to class.
17. More ways to avoid future bullying
- Act confident.Hold your head up, stand up strait, and make eye contact.
- Dont walk alone, travel with at least one other person.
- Avoid places where bullying happens.
18. Why do others LET it happen? 19. Reasons
- The bully is someone others look up to and want to hang out with.
- They want to side with the bully because to do that makes them feel strong.
- Theyre entertained by the bullying.
- They dont think speaking up will help.
- Theyre afraid that if they say something, the bully will turn on them.
21. Some things you can say if someone is getting bullied . "Cut it out" "That's Not Funny" "How would you like it if someone did that to you?" 22. Remember the golden rule:
- Treat others the way you want to be treated.Stand up for someone when he or she needs it, and when you need it, someone will stand up for you.
23. Are you a Bully? 24. Ask yourself these questions.
- Does it make you feel better to hurt other people or take their things?
- Are you bigger and stronger than other people your age?Do you sometimes use your size and strength to get your way?
- Have you been bullied by someone in the past and feel like you have to make up for doing the same thing to others?
- Do you avoid thinking about how other people might feel if you say or do hurtful things to them?
26. How can you STOP being a Bully? 27. If you are a bully, here are some ways to stop.
- Apologize to people that you have bullied, and follow it up by being friendly.
- They might not trust you right away, but eventually they will see that you have changed.
28. More ways to stop
- If you are having a hard time feeling good about yourself, explore ways to boost your self-esteem.
- If you feel like youre having trouble controlling your feelings, especially anger, talk to a school counselor about it.
29. Questions? 30. Credits
- Source- www.pbskids.org/itsmylife