TLC2016 - Power Using' Blackboard for purely online learners
Embed Size (px)
Transcript of TLC2016 - Power Using' Blackboard for purely online learners
- 1. Leeds Beckett University Power Using Blackboard for purely online learners
- 2. Background How do most of our institution use Blackboard? What do our online learners need? What tools do we use? Examples Innovations
- 3. Background
- 4. Faculty Distance Learning Leaders Online Learning Tutors (OLTs) Production Instructional Design Team Marketing & Operations Director Faculty Contacts Learning Systems Blackboard Support team 20 years of distance learning 3.5 years of Distance Learning Unit Approx 800 DL students 33 online courses 10 years of Blackboard
- 5. How do most of our institution use Blackboard?
- 6. What do our online learners need?
- 7. Concerns Expectations Not knowing course structure/delivery methods wanted clarification on HOW delivered/structured Motivation/commitment Managing and organising current lifestyle Tutor interaction Live interactions 8-10 hours study per week Specific and detailed feedback Contact details for each tutor email and phone All learning material for whole module available via MyBeckett (called X-Stream at time of survey)
- 8. Clear and consistent navigation Directional guidance/signposting Visual brand Ease of use
- 9. What tools do we use?
- 10. Key Tools Blackboard Learning modules HTML items Activity tools: Wikis, Discussion boards, Tests Portal Channels External tools Embedded media Articulate Storyline HTML5 output Google Apps (Communities, Concept Board, etc) TurnItIn integration
- 11. What dont we use? Social tools currently investigating but functionally and visually not as strong as Google Communities Blogs/Journals Most activities fit better in Discussion Board, Wiki or external software
- 12. Examples
- 13. Innovations
- 14. A different view for distance learners
- 15. Exemplar modules Online
- 16. Exemplar modules Blended
- 17. Exemplar modules Training
- 18. Thank you! Nathalie Thorne Instructional Design Team Manager email@example.com