Embed Size (px)
Transcript of Taxonomy Presentation
- 1. Taxonomy (Science Skills) Science Skills Class Code SC20210
- 2. What is Taxonomy? Taxonomy naming organisms based on common traits Scientists name large groups of animals, smaller groups, all the way down to individual species. The system they use to name animals is this: Domain Kingdom Larger groups PhylumTaxonomic Groups Class Order Order Family Family Genus Species Species
- 3. What is Taxonomy? Taxonomy naming organisms based on common traits Scientists name large groups of animals, smaller groups, all the way down to individual species. The system they use to name animals is this: Domain Kingdom Kings Phylum PlayTaxonomic Groups Class Chess Order On Family Funny Genus Green Species Squares
- 4. Example: Humpback WhaleWikipedia gaveme the Kingdom,Phylum, Class,Order, Family,Genus andSpecies
- 5. Species Scientific NamesSpecies names are always binomials, which means there are 2 names,example:Carcharodon carcharias is the scientific name for a great white shark.Scientific names are derived from Latin.Kingdom, phylum, class, order, family, genus are NOT binomials.Carcharodon carcharias
- 6. Taxonomy and Trees Organisms are named based on their position on evolutionary trees.KingdomPhylumClassOrderFamilyGenusSpecies
- 7. How Trees are ConstructedToday, most trees are constructed using DNA. Single basepair differences in the DNA are traits.Extinct species are put onto the trees using traits from theorganisms fossils.
- 8. Scientific vs Common Names Animals have scientific and common names. Common names example: catfish But there are about 3000 species of catfish!! So which one?? Scientific names example: Lacantunia enigmatica Lacantunia enigmatica is ONE species of catfish, so scientists from different countries can talk about it without any confusion. Scientific names are more clear and lead to less confusion Good bad examplesCommon name Easy to remember Some species can Large forest gecko have many Catfish common namesScientific name -One species will have Hard to Gekko smithii only one scientific name. remember and Lacantunia enigmatica -Clear for people who pronounce speak different languages.
- 9. Review Video
- 10. Questions1. Why might using a scientific name be better than a common name?2. Name the 8 major taxonomic groups that scientists put organisms into.3. What taxonomic group is Sceloporus occidentalis in? Hint: the answer is one of the 8 groups you listed in number 2.4. Tell me what taxonomy is in your own words.5. What do scientists use to construct the evolution trees we use today?6. What is the binomial species name for humans?7. What kingdom are humans in?