Report on SXSW: Interactive 2010
Embed Size (px)
Transcript of Report on SXSW: Interactive 2010
- 1.South by Southwest: Interactive 2010 Jonathan Smith The Catholic University of America
2. 3. http://www.flickr.com/photos/adactio/4436106831/ Smartphones are ubiquitous 4. http://www.flickr.com/photos/tweenina/4451985145/ 5. Twitter is everywhere 6. 7. Emerging tech - QR Codes http://www.flickr.com/photos/betsyweber/4430726235/ 8. Emerging tech - location-based social networking 9. Emerging tech - touch screens 10. Danah Boyd - Making sense of privacy 11. Universities in the "Free" Era The University System is in crisis, the current model is leading to a collapse.
- Where to begin
- Experiential learning
- Multi-institutional collaborations
- Train PhDsto think more contextually and how to teach
- Get rid of tenure
- Facilitate collaboration, team teaching etc
- De-privilege institutional content
- Reward failure, publishing results
- Get rid of departments instead focus on questions
- Contribute to open commons
12. HTML5 13.
- Is Google making us stupid?
- There needs to be time inefficient contemplation in balance with information retrieval
- Will we adapt? People used to flip through TV channels, now they prefer to watch DVD box sets to get immersed
Nicholas Carr - The Shallows 14. 15.
- Links: http://docs.google.com/View?id=dhshfdgz_349t9k7gdcr