Presentation to MoMo London - February 2014
Embed Size (px)
How the London Accelerator & Seed Investment Scene is looking in 2014 ( Get to the end and you will find lots of links to who is investing in W 2014? )
Transcript of Presentation to MoMo London - February 2014
- Accelerating and Financing Londons Tech Sector Start-ups. . John Spindler CEO of Capital Enterprise @capenterprise 1
- A start-up is an organisation in search of a repeatable and scalable business model Eric Ries- Author of the Lean Start-up. @capenterprise 2
- Scale focused start-ups aredifferent Ambitious: want to be worth 20M+ minimum in 3 years. Solve a big problem for potential customer in a Game Changing way. Build/leverage new technology/ business model innovations Acquire and leverage as many Unfair Advantages as possible- team, key partners, resources etc Move very FAST @capenterprise 3
- An Investable Start-up Needs.. Team, Tech & resources that is FIT for the task of creating an awesome company Smart Ass Team Product that is the best solution FIT for the target customers problems. Disrupting a Big Ass Market with a Kick Ass Product ( Jeff Clavier 3 Ass-es rule) Business Model that is FIT to be scaled. + Capital Efficient to Scale. @capenterprise 4
- How! Advance in Stages ..using the Lean Start-up Method @capenterprise 5
- Idea to Tech Business- Three Chasms.
- Help in Forming & Exploring Ideas @capenterprise 7
- Sources of Start-up Help for Tech Entrepreneurs Information: Capital Enterprise; www.capitalenterprise.org Meet-up - http://www.meetup.com Mobile Academy- http://themobileacademy.org.uk/ Makers Academy- http://www.makersacademy.com/ GoGowo- http://www.gocowo.com Skills Matter- http://skillsmatter.com/ Start- up Britain - http://www.startupbritain.org British Library- www.bl.uk/bipc Google Campus- http://www.campuslondon.com General Assembly- https://generalassemb.ly/locations/london Innovation Warehouse- http://www.theiw.org IC Tomorrow - https://connect.innovateuk.org/web/ictomorrow UCL Decide- https://www.ucl.ac.uk/decide Start-up Weekend- London- http://london.startupweekend.org/ Launch 48- http://launch48.com/ Start-ups on Air at Google Campushttps://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dEpuYlRFRFJ6SUVDdHVLRms3YmdBcmc6MQ Hubventurelabs - http://hubwestminster.net/hubventurelabs 3 Beards- http://www.3-beards.com/ Tech Hub- http://www.techhub.com/events/ Dreamstake- http://www.dreamstake.net/events Capital List Get Together- http://www.capitallistblog.co/our-monthly-monday-get-together/ @capenterprise 8
- Forming Businesses.. ideas from??? @capenterprise 9
- Developing the team & Product Hipster (Designer) Hacker (Developer) Hustler (Distributor) @capenterprise 10
- Minimum Viable Product (MVP): Problem Solution FIT @capenterprise
- Proof of Concept? Does it work? Does anyone care? @capenterprise 12
- Funding Product Development & Beta Testing Grants & Awards General Technology Strategy Board ( R&D Funding) - http://www.innovateuk.org http://www.innovateuk.org/content/competition/grant-for-rd-single-business.ashx Knowledge Transfer Networks- www.innovateuk.org IC Tomorrow- https://connect.innovateuk.org/web/ictomorrow NESTA- http://www.nesta.org.uk/ London European Enterprise Network- http://www.een-london.co.uk E Funding for SME R&D - http://www.eurostars-eureka.eu/what.do EU Funding for R&D collaborations: http://ec.europa.eu/research/participants/portal/page/calls Knowledge Transfer Partnerships funding support- http://www.ktponline.org.uk/ktp-what-will-it-costmy-business J4B- Portal for grant finding http://www.j4b.co.uk Translation/ Follow on research funds. www.rdfunding.org.uk/bulletin/queries/Search.asp?TheCloseMonth=July&TheYear=2011. http://www.rcuk.ac.uk/kei/ktportal/Pages/Followon.aspx https://ktn.innovateuk.org/web/145175/overview http://www.ahrc.ac.uk/FundingOpportunities/Pages/BrowseOpportunitiesOld.aspx http://www.ahrc.ac.uk/Pages/default.aspx http://www.theculturecapitalexchange.co.uk/ @capenterprise 13
- Crowdfunding (Reward) Crowd funding PlatformsReward based Crowdfunding platforms- will help you to raise funding to build a proto-type and market test a great idea or product.- Great for pre-selling cool tech hardware. www.kickstarter.com www.indiegogo.com (USA) www.peoplefund.it www.sponsume.com https://www.buzzbnk.org www.pleasefund.us www.wefund.com www.pozible.com www.crowdfunder.co.uk http://spacehive.com https://www.banktothefuture.com @capenterprise 14
- Need less than 20K to get to Build and test MVP? Grantwww.j4b.co.uk No Funds Unemployed? Need Less than 10K to Launch a business New Enterprise Allowance Scheme Self Fund Borrow Write a simple Business Plan & 12 month cashflow Community Development Finance Institution Start-Up Loan Bank Sources of Grants- www.j4b.co.uk Competition funding 1000 issued to 10+ businesses per month- http://www.shell-livewire.org Princes Trust http://www.princes-trust.org.uk/need_help/enterprise_programme.aspx 1000- 20,000 Enterprise Loans for Under 25s- www.startuploanslondon.co.uk or www.startuploans.com New Enterprise Allowance Scheme Check who delivers the scheme in London by e-mailing Capital Enterprise. Community Development Finance Associations- http://www.cdfa.org.uk - Also check out North London Community Finance ELSBC Access to Finance Business Plan support for those looking to raise up to 10K Soft loans for Creative Businesses- http://www.creativeindustryfinance.org.uk/ @capenterprise 15
- Idea to Tech Business- Three Chasms.
- Accelerators help by .. Offering early Stage Entrepreneurs Fellow Community of entrepreneurs & supporters Runway support & funding (15-100K at standardised investment terms. ) ( 3-6 months on average) Physical Space & Facilities Mentors ( 1st Industry- 2nd Investors) Help to Rapid Field Trail with users & customers. Demo days- Introductions to Investors/ customers so that they can test.. Product- Assess Functional use/ improve design & UX Market Reaction- interest/ usage/revenue - AARRR Revenue/ profit Potentialpricing, market timing, LTV/CCA Business Model- To Pivot or Not To Pivot Investor reaction- interest and valuations Team- ability to work together and deliver.
- Accelerators In London http://www.f6s.com/ https://capitallist.co
- Accelerators Accelerators : Training & Mentoring programmes that provide fast-track to seed funding for Scalable new businesses 1. 2. 3. 4. 5. 6. 7. 8. 9. 10. 11. 12. 13. 14. 15. 16. 17. 18. 19. 20. Seed Camp: http://www.seedcamp.com Tech Stars Europe -http://www.techstars.com/program/locations/london Wayra- http://wayra.org/en/wayra Microsoft Ventures - http://www.microsoft.com/en-in/accelerator/ Start-Up Bootcamp ( 3 new accelerators including Fintech in London)- http://www.startupbootcamp.org Emerge Venture Labs- ( Education TECH) http://www.theemergelab.org Oxygen Accelerator ( Now in London) - http://www.oxygenaccelerator.com/ BBC Worldwide Labs- http://www.bbcworldwide.com/digital/labs.aspx Accelerator Academy ( Part-Time)- http://acceleratoracademy.com Fintech Innovation Labs- https://www.fintechinnovationlablondon.co.uk Entrepreneur First- http://www.entrepreneurfirst.org.uk The Bakery ( Adtech) - http://thebakerylondon.com/#!/ Healthbox- http://www.healthboxaccelerator.com/ Level 39- http://level39.co ( More of an incubator) Idea London ( Cisco, DC Thompson and UCL) www.idea-london.co.uk IC Start-up- ( Imperial) http://www.icstartup.com Bethnal Green Ventures ( Social Impact)- http://bethnalgreenventures.com/ HUB Launchpad- (Social Impact)http://www.hublaunchpad.net/ True Start- (Retail Tech) http://www.truecapital.co.uk/truestart/ Eco-Machines incubator (Hardware)- http://www.ecomachinesincubator.com Capitals Accelerator Programme Partners. www.f6s.com @capenterprise
- Capitals Accelerator Programme Partners and CoInvestors Pre-Acceleration Support/ Incubation Acceleration Support Connections to Investors
- Accelerators want businesses who..
- Start- Up Funding road map. Hackathons/ Hatcheries/ Meet-ups. Idea Bootstrap- FFF Problem/ Space Exploration MVP Factories Start-up Loans Design/ Prototype Accelerators (Early) SEIS Super Angels/ Angel Groups Innovation Awards Crowdfunding i.e. Kickstarter Beta Test Adapt/ PivotX2 Seedrs/ Crowdcube/F6s Accelerators (Late) Launch Early Stage VCs @capenterprise 22
- 4 3 1 Idea Stage 2 Commitment Stage- Secure Co-Founders FFF funding round Build & Beta Test Minimum Viable Product Seed Investment Round (Angels + Early VCs) - Prove Business model & acquire metrics to prove scalability 5 Seri