Embed Size (px)
Transcript of Optimise Everything
- 1. Optimising everything means building a good website, from colours to code, and maximising every opportunity for your website and your business. Optimise Everything
- Yep, as much as you can.
- Things like:
- Your WebsitesCode
- Your WebsitesGooglability
- Your WebsitesContent
- Your WebsitesPresence
- Your WebsitesProcesses
- Your WebsiteKnowledge
3. Best of Both Worlds
- In just about anything you do, equal amounts of energy should be towards making your website:
- Better for your visitors.
- Better for Google.
- In that order.
4. Your Websites Code
- Download Times The smaller the files, the quicker the Googlebot can download and index each page before moving on to the next one.
- Credibility A lighter and well-designed page tells Google that youre serious about delivering your content more efficiently.
5. Your Websites Code Turn this 6. Your Websites Code Into this 7. Your Websites Code Making this Look like this 8. Your Websites Code Or even this Into this 9. Your Websites Code
- Clean HTML.
- JS and CSS include files.
- Flash is fine in moderation, no content in it though and not in main navigation.
- Lighter files.
10. Your Googlability
- Are your sites pages in Googles index?
- All of them?
- Do your pages have proper metas?
- Are you showing in the right Google results?
- Do you have a robots.txt or a sitemap.xml?
- Got Analytics?
- Got Maps?
- Are you unknowingly breaking any rules?
11. Your Googlability
- Is your site even indexed?
Yes?Rock on. Make sure Googs has the right number of pages. 12. Your Googlability
- Is your site even indexed?
- No?Well thats poo.Whats the story?
- Faulty disallow in a robots.txt?
- No inbound links? (a few quality links are roughly eleventy billion times better than submitting to a search engine they even tell you this)
13. Your Googlability
- If you dont have one, get a Google Account.
No really.If you havent got one, go get one now, well wait here 14. Your Googlability
- Go into Webmaster Tools - Add your site.
15. Your Googlability
- Diagnostics HTML Suggestions
Duplicates, long, short or missing metas are all easy to fix and are all important. 16. Your Googlability
Robots.txt - Check the one youve got or build your own. 17. Your Googlability
- Site Settings
Geotargetting is probably most important here.Particularly if youve got a .com hosted in the US. 18. Your Googlability
They tell you that you dont need one for smaller sites, but it doesnt hurt to have anyway. Dont have one?Google XML Sitemap and youll get sites thatll do it for free in seconds. 19. Your Googlability
- If you havent yet, get some Google Analytics.
Just like WMTs, its free and easy.Do it now and youll see why later. 20. Your Googlability
- Same goes for Google Maps.
And this is too easy as well.Be ready for the phone to ring or wait months for a postcard. 21.
- Site is indexed
- WMTs/Crawlability - Robots.txt/Sitemap.xml
- WMTs/HTML Suggestions
- Google Analytics
- Google Maps
- No broken rules
Your Googlability 22. Your Sites Content
- Whats your site about?
- What keywords should you target?
- How many should you use?
- How should you use them?
- Does your content already include them?
- If not, can your content support them?
23. Your Sites Content
- What does Google think your site is about?
In Google WMTs, Keywords tells us much more reliable info than even Top search queries which can be poo in its reliability. 24. Your Sites Content
- Your homepage should tell all, particularly the .
25. Your Sites Content
- Start by Googling keyword tool and you can safely use any of the top 5 results.
- Google Keyword Tool
- Google Again
- More Google
- Keyword Discovery
- IMPORTANT: None of these are completely accurate, they are only estimations.
26. Your Sites Content
- Keyword Tool
- (Why external?
- No idea.)
27. Your Sites Content
28. Your Sites Content
- (Whys it different from
- the external tool?
- Not really sure on this
- one either.Meant to be
29. Your Sites Content
30. Your Sites Content
- Keyword Tools
- Most get their data from existing sites in their database, not actual searches.
- Most are US-centric and offer little in the way of International data (sure theysaythey do)
- Most run off of the Overture database, which is Yahoo!
- Use them for ideas, not as hard evidence.They are great ascomparative tools but not much more.
31. Your Sites Content
- Pick about 3 that are different enough to each other though are still relevant to your business (aquarium supplies, fish tanks, tropical fish).
- Target one page of your website for each keyword (be thinking about which page when you choose your keywords too).
- Use them on the page:
- Meta Title Short and Sweet.
- Meta Description Different from page copy.This is your sales pitch and will really only
- be seen in search engine results pages.
- Page Content Use of the actual keyword is important, but the contextual copy is the most
- important (if youre writing about cars and use tropical fish then its not as relevant as an
- entire paragraph about fish and fish stuff).
- Link Text In the menu, in the page copy on other pages and even in the footer if you do it
- Dont be SPAMMY and stupid with things.Write copy for people AND Google, in that order.
32. Your Sites Content
Typical example of on-site keyword usage. 33. Your Sites Content
- Use Keyword Tools to get ideas.
- Make sure they are relevant to your site.
- Pick 3 keywords or so.
- Use them on your site.
- If regionally-targeted (fish tanks perth) then make that as part of your keyword usage as well (without being spammy).
34. Your Websites Presence
- Where is your site mentioned (text or link)?
- What is the context of this mention?
- How many times?
- Are YOU out there mentioning your website?
- Where should you mention your website?
35. Your Websites Presence
- Inbound Links
36. Your Websites Presence
- Your Brand
37. Your Websites Presence
- Business Directories
- Yellow Pages Online
Many are free and also use information directly from TrueLocal, Yellow Pages Online or DMOZ.Be wary of directories that ask for a reciprocal link and avoid India (for their link-farming and spamming not for other stuff). 38. Your Websites Presence
- Forums/Social Bookmarking Sites
- Find relevant communities to travel in.
- Pay particular attention to any posted rules.
- Be active in said community.
- Be active for a suitable period of time before blatantly promoting your site.
- Keep being active in said community.