Niagara Falls Lesson 1 Presentation
Embed Size (px)
Transcript of Niagara Falls Lesson 1 Presentation
- 1. The Tourism Project Niagara Falls Year 9 Geography
2. How are they formed.
- Hard rock on top of soft rock.
- Soft rock underneath gets eroded by the water in plunge pool
- Hard rock on top collapses down and the falls retreat.
CLICK ON DIAGRAM ABOVE Click on picture to see base jump from Angel Falls 3. Niagara Falls 2008 Location 10,000 Years ago The changing location of Niagara Falls 4. What the tourists come for. SOAKED!! 5. 6. Some facts
- Annie Taylor was the first survivor (madwoman!) to go over the falls in an airtight barrel in 1901.
- Second largest falls in the world 323 metres.
- 12 Million visitors every year (24 times the number of people that live in Sheffield)
- 1846 First tourist boat launched in the waters beneath the falls.
Click Image for a video of Annie Taylor. 7. The things people do!!!!! 8. The Danger of the falls Many people have died trying to conquer the falls in barrels, boats and even jet skis DEAD! October 1st 1995 Robert Overcracker rides a jetski over the brink of the Horseshoe Falls to help promote awareness for the homeless. His parachute did not open and Robert ended up promoting better parachutes. He plunged to his death and his body was never recovered. An Egyptian tourist captured this amazing image. 9. July 11th 1920 Englishman Charles G. Stephens equipped his wooden barrel with an anvil for ballast. Charles tied himself to the anvil for security. After the plunge, Charles right arm was the only item left in the barrel ugghhhhh! 10. Background to the project The Niagara Falls tourist board has asked you to make an information brochure to tell tourists about Niagara Falls.Being a geography expert, you should have no problem doing this!!They want you to make a colourful brochure with clear explanations and lots of interesting facts and pictures . 11. But before you start, you need to do some research
- On a blank piece of A4 paper complete activity 1 and 2 on page 11 Connections(instead of Activity 2 you may want to copy out the diagrams and notes in C)
- Note: You will be using these diagrams on your brochure so make sure they are neat and spelling is correct.