Michael T2

ase arrange the tables and chairs like th Front (aka me) 4 4 5 4 4 4

Transcript of Michael T2

Page 1: Michael T2

Please arrange the tables and chairs like this! Front (aka me)

44 4

Page 2: Michael T2

COMM202

T34 & T38 – STAR Stories & Job Postings!

Page 3: Michael T2

Agenda1. 1-on-1 Recap

2. StrengthsQuest Recap

3. Skills Matrix

4. Job Postings

Page 4: Michael T2

1-on-1 RecapIn this class, we have students who…

• Lived in 4 different cities on 3 different continents• Works with a trading group & marketing digital agency• Coach Volleyball, Rugby, Sports• Was home-schooled• Is part of four Sauder clubs/organizations• Killed it at JDC West• Gets paid to run birthday parties• Went to high school in Nova Scotia• Are part of the National Rowing Team• Is planning BizComm’s Public Speaking Competition• Likes Cooking, Gardening, and Woodworking• Is on the DragonBoat Team• Will be referee at Rugby 7’s• Is going into “Global Supply Chain Management”• Does contracting work with BC Hydro

Page 5: Michael T2
Page 6: Michael T2

Why Skills Matrix?

Page 7: Michael T2

Resume

Cover Letter

Interview

SKILLS MATRIX

Page 8: Michael T2

Success Stories

Situation

• Set the scene

• - who?• - what?• - where?• - when?

Task

• The objective, issue, or obstacle I had to overcome

• Why is this story significant?

Action

• The "how"• What did I

consider/do to overcome the situation?

• What skills were applied?

• My/vs team actions

Result

• What was the result of my actions/

• decisions?

Link/Lesson

• The lesson/outcome

• How are they relevant to the skill/job?

• Needs to be employer-centric

S20%

T10%

A60%

R5%

L5%

Page 9: Michael T2

ExampleSkill Experienc

eSituation Task Action Result Lesson

Marketing Strategy & Brand Development

Executive Director of Project U&G Dance Company

After a successful first year as Director, I was looking to improve my team's presence at UBC as we transitioned the team to do more competitions.

In order to form the best possible team, we needed the maximize our turnout for auditions and recruit the best dancers we could find.

I developed a marketing plan that included releasing two concept videos, teaching dance classes around UBC, and hosting a 3 day promotional workshop in which we brought in 6 prominent member's of Vancouver's dance community to teach. Each of these strategies were created in an effort to expand reach throughout the school and build brand awareness.

Not only did we make over $1000 in revenue from promotional activities, but we also tripled our auditions attendance from the previous year and ultimately recruited a 28 member team of extremely talented dancers. That season, we placed first at both competitions we competed in.

While it does help, you can't rely solely on word-of-mouth when you are trying to build brand awareness. Rather, you need to plan initiatives that will expand your audience and create impactful experiences that inspire interest.

Page 10: Michael T2

Situation

• Context• 5 Ws

Mis-steps

• What did I do wrong?

Failure

• What happened as a result of my actions?

Lesson

• What did I learn through this failure?

Action Steps

• How did I overcome OR What will I do now?

SELF-AWARENESS/ACCOUNTABILITY

Failure Stories

Page 11: Michael T2

ExampleSkill Experienc

eSituation Missteps Failure Lesson Action Steps

Relationship Development

Brand Awareness & Communication Director at Howler Apps

Assigned to develop a marketing campaign with the local business "Boston Brewin Coffee."

After an extensive meeting with my client discussing the goals of the promotion and it might look like, I made a flyer design that--from what I thought--incorporated both our brands.

After sending him the first draft, my client replied to me saying he hated the project and no longer wanted to work with me. He thought the design did not showcase his brand at all and not only focused too heavily on my product, but also went against all the goals of our campaign.

While it was tough to handle at first, I learned that relationships require constant attention and its important to not only keep communication open, but keep an open mind as well. Projects constantly change and you need to consistently adapt to the situation when trying to build a rapport with your client.

I replied to him and explained my ideas a little bit further. In addition, I explained my situation to him and clarified that this design was a first draft for the entire promotion rather than a final copy. After receiving my email, my client apologized for his attitude and chose to continue with the promotion. Although the project did not work out in the end, I understand the importance of communication when trying to build relationships with clients and make sure to constantly be in touch with the companies I work with.

Page 12: Michael T2

Assessing your StoryWHY?

• Show resilience, tenacity• Show you’re humble enough to focus not only on

your assets, but where you need improvement• Show you can learn from your mistakes/failures

HOW?• The “lesson” learned is key• i.e. How would you handle it differently now?

Page 13: Michael T2

The RubricWHY?• Show resilience, tenacity• Show you’re humble enough to focus not only on

your assets, but where you need improvement• Show you can learn from your mistakes/failures

HOW?• The “lesson” learned is key• i.e. How would you handle it differently now?

Page 14: Michael T2

Front (aka me)

44 4

Skills Matrix Mixer

Page 15: Michael T2

Skills Matrix Activity

•Applicants have 2 minutes to tell a story (either success or failure)

• Interviewers have 1 minute to provide feedback

Page 16: Michael T2

Giving Feedback• What is the storyteller missing from their story?• Is it specific enough? Is it concise?• What is confusing? Is the skill relevant?• Are there step-by-step actions?• Is the story appropriate for an interview?• Would the story be able to be told within 1.5 - 2 minutes?

Page 17: Michael T2

The Job Posting

Page 18: Michael T2

Where can I find job postings?

Page 19: Michael T2

Analyzing a Job Posting

Analyzing the Job Posting

Brainstorm Industry Terms

Qualities Needed to Succeed

Your Experience

Page 20: Michael T2

1. Analyzing the Job Posting

• What are the necessary skills needed for the job?

• What are the soft skills the company is looking for?

• What do you know about the culture of the company?

• What is the difference between hard skills & soft skills?

Page 21: Michael T2

2. Brainstorm Industry Terms

• What terms have you learned in school that relate to the industry you are applying for?

• What articles/books have you read about the industry?

• Who have you talked to in the industry?

Page 22: Michael T2

3. Qualities Needed to Succeed

• Which transferrable skillsets will be required in order to complete the tasks/responsibilities?

• Read between the lines!

Page 23: Michael T2

4. Your Experience• Look back to the stories in your Skills Matrix--where have

you shown the necessary skills before?

• Experiences in jobs, organizations, clubs, class projects?

• How are your previous roles similar/relevant to the job postings?

Page 24: Michael T2

Job Posting Research Assignment due in tutorial next week!

Skills Matrix due February 12 on TurnItIn

Tutorial next week!

- Week 5 - ACTION ITEMS