Empowering Students of Color Through Powerful Texts Presenters: Rosa Guzman, Academy of Medicine &...
Embed Size (px)
Transcript of Empowering Students of Color Through Powerful Texts Presenters: Rosa Guzman, Academy of Medicine &...
Empowering Students of Color Through Powerful
Presenters: Rosa Guzman, Academy of Medicine & Public Service
Amy Crawford, Communication Arts & SciencesBerkeley High School
Changing Education Paradigms
Amy Crawford, English teacher
Communication Arts & Sciences (CAS) was founded in 1997 by teachers and families to create a heterogeneous learning community by tapping into the rich diversity of Berkeley High students. Distinguished by its focus on critical thinking, social justice, media literacy, and service learning, CAS offers an academically rigorous course of study and trains its graduates to communicate effectively in both print and electronic media. Students come from all socio-economic, racial, and ethnic backgrounds and gain vital experience creating a multi-cultural community that deepens academic learning.
CAS/BHS 2011-12CAS Ethnic Demographics29% African-American23% White31% Hispanic13% Unknown/Mixed 4% Asian American
BHS Demographics26% African-American39% White13% Hispanic11% Unknown/Mixed 9% Asian American
Rosa Guzman, English teacher
Lisa Delpit excerptOther People’s Children
In pairs or group of 3, read excerpt and discuss cultural capital and the culture of power:
• What do these terms mean to you?
• How do you see it in the classroom?
• Make a list of the cultural capital that makes a difference in a student’s success.
cultural capitalculture of poweraccessoppressionbanking methodauthentic liberationproblem posing educationthe common schoolpedagogythe factory modelstandardization
divergent thinkingequitytrackingheterogeneitysegregationintegrationthe achievement gapthe equity gapmeritocracyinstitutional racism
• Socratic Seminar (Collaboration with other classes)
• Group work with roles to dissect the text (word seeker, discussion leader, line finder, summarizer, etc)
• Exit tickets
• Persuasive & Synthesis Essays
• AL summary sheetsSeminar guidelinesEssay promptsThe Class: Essay tickets, journals & glossaryModel School projectgroup text analysisJames Baldwin posterEducation Vignettes