Deep sleep stress
Embed Size (px)
Transcript of Deep sleep stress
- 1. THE SECRETS OF LIVING HEALTHIER & ACHIEVING DEEP SLEEP Presented By: Dr John Bergman
- 2. SLEEP DEPRIVATION One of the Most common Tortures around the world
- 3. DEEP SLEEP FACTS 1.You can live without sleep you will Die without R.E.M. 2.Eliminate R.E.M. Busters 3.People who work nights have Higher rates of Chronic Diseases 4.Sleep Medications Will NOT Get you R.E.M. 5.You Must be asleep between 11PM-1AM for Optimal Function
- 4. AUTONOMIC NERVOUS SYSTEMS: Fight or Flight = Sympathetic keeps you alive short term Rest, Digest, Repair = Parasympathetic rebuilds your body
- 5. The nervous system controls and coordinates all functions of the body. This includes breathing, sleeping digestion, and elimination. Grays Anatomy, pg. 4
- 6. SLEEP DEPRAVATION = SNS ACTIVITY Short-term Sleep Deprivation: Causes the release of stress hormones Elevates LDL Cholesterol Elevates Blood Sugar Reduces Blood supply to the gut Sleep Depravation on a long-term: Debilitating both physically and mentally Weakens immune system Higher disease rates .
- 7. LONG-TERM COMPLAINTS FROM SLEEP DEPRIVATION : Allergies, Anxiety and depression, Digestive disorders, Fatigue, Headaches and migraine, Heart disease, High blood pressure, Insomnia, Irritable bladder, Irritable bowel syndrome, Menstrual problems in women, Mouth and peptic ulcers, Muscular aches and pains, Palpitations, Panic attacks, Eczema, Ulcerative colitis
- 8. SLEEP PROBLEMS IMPLICATED IN MANY ILLNESSES Sleep is such a crucial aspect of health that it can have an adverse impact on some very serious diseases such as: Parkinson disease (PD) Alzheimer disease (AD) Multiple sclerosis (MS) Gastrointestinal tract disorders Kidney disease Behavioral problems in children (JAMA). November 1, 2000; 284
- 9. SLEEP AND PROBLEMS IN CHILDREN Study has found that children with attention deficit-hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) have more sleep apnea than do other children. (JAMA). November 1, 2000; 284
- 10. SLOW WAVE SLEEP? R.E.M. Scientists have discovered this is the part of sleep where your mind does its consolidating and cataloging of memories for the day. And Tissue Repair!! Hardwiring memories. Scientific American Mind 2007;18(1):9. . Have you missed your slow wave lately?
- 11. SLEEP RX 2006, nearly 50 million prescriptions were filled in the United States -- a 30 percent increase from 2005. $5 billion (the amount Americans spend on sleeping pills) .to sleep for 11 minutes longer a night? Sleep Rx Interrupt R.E.M.
- 12. BETWEEN 2000 AND 2004 Sleep medications doubled among adults aged 20-44. Among children aged 10 to 19 also went up by 85 percent. Money spent on such drugs within that age group was up 223 percent. Spending on sleep meds among adults in the 20-44 age category spiked upward 190 percent. Children in the 10-19 age bracket showed the highest dual usage of prescription sleep aids as well as attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) drugs at 15 percent. National Institutes of Health 2005
- 13. BETWEEN 2000 AND 2004 Women used prescription sleep aids particularly among young women under 19 (37 percent) and those between 20-64 (58 percent). 70 million people in the United States may be affected by sleep problems, insomnia, sleep apnea, and 60 percent of such suffer from a chronic sleep disorder. National Institutes of Health 2005
- 14. NOT SLEEPING? Turns out that it inhibits your ability to create new neurons. Missing out on sleep means missing out on brain cells. Psychcentral.com. 2/12/07. Another reason to get a good nights sleep. NY Times. 2/13/07. One single night of not sleeping can take up to 2 weeks to recover!
- 15. INADEQUATE SLEEP AFFECTS HORMONE LEVELS * The changes in sleep trigger shifts in the endocrine system, altering hormone levels and metabolism. Researchers say that this study shows that a good night's sleep may be a natural form of hormone therapy, particularly for older adults. The Journal of the American Medical Association August 16, 2000;284:861-868, 880-881
- 16. FIBROMYALGIA INCURABLE???
- 17. SLEEP IN EARLY LIFE MAY PLAY CRUCIAL ROLE IN BRAIN DEVELOPMENT Neuron April 26, 2001 University of California, San Francisco researchers report that sleep in early life plays a crucial role in brain development. The capacity for "change," or growth and strengthening, of connections between nerve cells is the basis of development in the brain. The elaboration and refinement of neural circuitry continues to a lesser extent in the adult brain.
- 18. DRUGGING OUR CHILDREN TO SLEEP: A recent survey of primary-care pediatricians evaluated nonprescription and prescription medication use for treating children with difficulties sleeping. 40% prescribed for Insomnia. It appears the simple solution is: prescribe drugs for kids Pediatrics, May 2003: 111(5) pg 628-35
- 19. NOW THEY DRUG ME DOWN TO SLEEP: 38% of Pediatricians Surveyed Use Pills for Helping Children With Sleep onset delay. Pediatrics, May 2003: 111(5) pg 628-35
- 20. TEST PILOTS WANTED: 85-90% of Drugs Used on Children, are Not Approved For Children. April 10, 2001 Volume 37 Issue 14, Medical Post
- 21. FDA APPROVED VIOXX FOR KIDS BEFORE WAS PULLED FROM THE MARKET! By Brooke A. Masters and Marc Kaufman/Washington Post Staff Writers Monday, October 18, 2004; Page A01
- 22. ERROR RATE OF 5.7 PERCENT FOR DRUGS FOR CHILDREN Kausha R, Bates DW, Landrigan C, McKenna KJ, Clapp MD, Federico F, Goldmann DA Medication errors and adverse drug events in pediatric inpatients JAMA 2001 (Apr 25); 285 (16): 2114-2120 Most potential adverse drug events occurred at : drug ordering (79%) incorrect dosing (34%) anti-infective drugs (28%) intravenous medications (54%) "Medication errors are common in pediatric inpatient settings.
- 23. SAY AGAIN?: At Best, Medicine is 20% Science Based. Some Say Only 4%. http://www.vet-task-force.com/CTiM.htm
- 24. PRESCRIPTION FOR DISASTER Fact: *40% of all RX are for Depression *Stress is the Main Cause of Depression *Sleep Deprivation is a Main Cause of Stress
- 25. PROZAC: THE FASTEST GROWING DRUG #1 medication in our country is an anti-depressant. Doctors are using it for everything, including for children. The fastest growing segment of users was preschoolers age 0-5 years. (girls use doubled and boys growth up 64%). Most antidepressants have never been tested on children. Antidepressants can cause painful headaches and tooth grinding. (Journal of Clinical Psychiatry Dec.1999) Preschoolers Lead Growth of Antidepressant Growth, Express Scripts, March 2004
- 26. MOST IMPORTANT TO GET R.E.M. No TV before bed RESET your computer Every minute before midnight is golden Must Journal Eliminate R.E.M. busters Keep consistent sleep patterns Protein before bed Sleep area must be DARK
- 27. DO YOU STILL WANT TO WAIT? A forward head position of 3 to 5 inches adds hundreds of pounds of stress to the neck!
- 28. BEFORE 90 DAYS AFTER
- 29. 12 YEAR OLD DIAGNOSED WITH FIBROMYALGIA AND R.A.
- 30. OPTIMAL HEALTH . . . Proper nerve supply - FREE of subluxation Regular Exercise Proper Nutrition Sufficient Rest Meditation and Prayer
- 31. The Chiropractic Adjustment
- 32. EFFECTS ON THE IMMUNE SYSTEM Research findings indicate that stress (Physical, Chemical, Emotional) can have a negative effect on the immune system and the way the body functions.
- 33. EMOTIONAL, CHEMICAL AND STRUCTURAL Situations are not always controllable, but Your Perception is. Stress is cumulative. Emotional stress, structural stress and chemical stress all affect the body the same way.
- 34. WHY DO WE EXPERIENCE STRESS? How the Autonomic Nervous System works: Chemical Physical Emotional These 3 types of stressors cause the release of stress hormones such as adrenaline and cortisol into the bloodstream.
- 35. HEAD ABOUT TO EXPLODE? 174 of 191 people suffered different types of headaches after an acceleration injury of the cervical spine Fancy way of saying you will get headaches 91% of the time after a car accident. Mumenthaler M: Headache in chronic acceleration injury of the cervical spine. Schweiz Archives Neurological Psychiatry ;157:1638
- 36. CURRENT RESEARCH Current research states the amount of stress that an older adult experiences in their lifetime is the same amount that a teenager will experience in one year.
- 37. SOME LONG-TERM EFFECTS High blood pressure, depression, skin problems, headaches, back pain, insomnia, digestive disorders, heart disease and stroke have all been related to extended periods of stress.
- 38. SOME STATISTICS: The AMA stated that stress was the cause of 80-85% of all human illness and disease or at the very least had a detrimental effect on our health. Every week, 95 million Americans suffer some kind of stress related symptom for which they take medication. American businesses lose an estimated $200-$300 billion dollars per year to stress related productivity loss and other cost.
- 39. STOPPING EAR INFECTIONS BEFORE THEY START? Chiropractic care to optimize the nervous system allows the body to heal itself and keep it healthy. Debates rage whether chiropractic care safe for children. Local10.com. 2/8/07. Chiropractors treating kids to fight infections. CBS 11 News. 2/13/07. Chiropractic solution to ear infections. Kutv.com. 2/6/07. Skeptical at first, more and more parents are discovering this healthy option
- 40. THE WINSOR AUTOPSIES (CONTINUED) - Gallstones: All five cases with gallstone disease had spinal misalignments in the mid-thoracic (T5-9). Pancreas: All three cases with pancreas disease had sp