Bren School of ICS
Embed Size (px)
Transcript of Bren School of ICS
Bren School of ICS
Diana TienUndergraduate Counselor
Commitment• Why are you here today and where do you want
to go?• What does commitment mean to you?
Critical Thinking and Logic
• Computing requires much critical thinking and analyses. • Creating solutions by yourself and within teams• Addressing real world problems in a fast paced
and ever-changing industry.• Think outside of the box!
• Learn how to communicate your thoughts and ideas to people within and outside of the industry.
• Learn how to become an effective speaker and leader within a team.
• Always seek out opportunities to improve your written and oral communication skills.
• Market yourself!
Time Management• Procrastination does not work in computing.• Programming takes time and requires constanttesting and analyses of your work. • If working in a team, success is dependent upon
each member managing their time well to meet project deadlines.
Collaboration - Project-Based Learning
• Student-initiated research
• Bren:ICS Honors Program
• UCI Undergraduate Research Opportunities Program (UROP) — Provides guidance, funding and faculty mentor
• Campus programs that provide a stipend and summer housing Examples: — Summer Undergraduate Research Program — Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowship in Information Technology (SURF-IT)
Faculty Excellence & Accessibility
Committed to Student Success• Engaged and accessible faculty
— Weekly office hours by faculty and course TAs— Associate Dean hosts weekly drop-in hours
• Academic counseling staff— Help students find most efficient way to meet all
their academic goals— Inform students about programs/opportunities that
enhance learning and build their resume— Guide students to appropriate campus resources
• Learning & Academic Resource Center (LARC)— FREE workshops/tutoring & fee-based tutoring
• Math, Physics, and Chemistry Departments— FREE drop-in tutoring
• ICS Tutoring— Peer to peer (fee based)
ICS Student Council members at ICS/Boeing Alumni Night
Bren Brawl: Friendly competition among student gamers
ICS/Blizzard Alumni Night
Student Showcase 2011 participants
Bren:ICS students at UCILeadership Conference
Get prompt responses and different perspectives:
Academic counselors/peer advisors:[email protected]
949-824-5156 (M-F 8-5)
Associate Dean for Student [email protected]