Boeing Has a Secret Weapon
Embed Size (px)
Boeing is getting shut out of the fighter jet market. Once that's gone, what will it have left?
Transcript of Boeing Has a Secret Weapon
- Boeings AH-64 Apache attack helicopter revealed! Source: Wikimedia Commons Boeings Secret Weapon(s)
- AH-64 Apache Attack Helicopter Boeings Apache is one of the worlds most popular combat helicopters, ranking No. 5 on the list. Last year, Boeing delivered 37 new Apaches to customers foreign and domestic and remanufactured 45 more. It sold more Apaches than F-15s and F-18s combined! Source: Wikimedia Commons
- CH-47 Chinook Transport Right behind the Apache in popularity is its loadbearing brother, the CH47 Chinook. Boeing sold nearly as many Chinooks as Apaches in 2013 14 remanufactures, and 44 shiny, brand-new whirlybirds. Source: Wikimedia Commons
- P-8 Poseidon Subhunter Each P-8 Poseidon multi-mission maritime aircraft costs as much as $280 million a pop seven times the cost of an F-15E Strike Eagle. Last year, Boeing sold 11 of them, generating more than $3 billion in revenues. Source: Boeing
- C-17 Globemaster III Transport Boeings C-17 is one of the worlds most popular combat transports, ranking No. 4 on the list. Last year, Boeing sold 10 of them, generating about $3.3 billion in revenues for the planemaker. Source: Wikimedia Commons
- V-22 Osprey Tiltrotor Less a combat bird and more of a transport, the V-22 Osprey built in cooperation with Textron is a growth driver for Boeing. Last year alone, Boeing built 36 Osprey fuselages for its joint venture with Textron, the BellBoeing Joint Project Office. Source: Wikimedia Commons
- UGM-84L Harpoon II Anti-Ship Missile An upgrade of the original Harpoon, Boeings Block II variant features all-weather, over-the-horizon, strike capability and the capacity to strike targets on land. Boeing sold 29 of them last year... and Taiwan just confirmed taking delivery of three dozen more. Source: Wikimedia Commons
- GBU-31 JDAM Joint Direct Attack Munition Want a smart bomb, but all youve got handy is a dumb bomb? Boeing solves that problem with its JDAM guidance kit. Attached to an ordinary air-dropped bomb, JDAM uses an inertial guidance system plus GPS receiver to place each bomb right on target. Source: Wikimedia Commons
- ScanEagle Unmanned Aerial Vehicle Former Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Adm. Mike Mullen thinks manned fighter jets are 20th century tech, and unmanned aerial vehicles are the wave of the future. Boeings riding that wave with its ScanEagle UAV. Despite costing just $72,000 each, the system has generated tens of millions of dollars for Boeing already. Source: Boeing
- And so you see, even without combat fighter jets, Boeings defense business is still big business. What weve shown you so far is only a small portion of Boeings many defense businesses only a few of which involve the building of hi-tech fighter jets. In addition to these, theres the Small Diameter Bomb, the Standoff Land Attack Missile, AWACS airborne early warning aircraft, and of course, the KC-46A Tanker Program still getting underway.
- Manned fighter jets? Like, with real pilots aboard? How quaint. Together with the revenues from Boeings $7.6 billion network and space systems business, and its $8.6 billion global services & support business, these non-fighter jetbuilding businesses generated some $27 billion for Boeing last year. Thats nearly 84% of total revenues from Boeings defense, space & security division.
- And did we mention that Boeing also builds commercial airplanes? That part of the business accounted for more than $42 billion in revenues at Boeing in 2012. So yeah, combined with the $27 billion in non-fighter jet-building revenues Boeing rakes in every year, I think Boeings going to do just fine...
- Even if it never sells another fighter jet to anyone, anywhere, ever again.
- Our Very Best Stock Pick for the New Year The stock market roared in 2013, and investors in The Motley Fools Top Stock made a fortune off one little known company that our Chief Investment Officer hand-picked to crush the market. Now, you can find out which stock he's picked to crush this year's market. Read his in-depth report on the top stock for 2014. Simply click here, its free!