abspd.appstate.eduabspd.appstate.edu/sites/abspd.appstate.edu/files/Less… · Web viewI’ve...
Embed Size (px)
Transcript of abspd.appstate.eduabspd.appstate.edu/sites/abspd.appstate.edu/files/Less… · Web viewI’ve...
Knowledge Rating Scale
I’ve never heard this word before.
I’ve heard this word, but I don’t know what it means.
I know this word…it has something to do with…
I know the meaning of this word.
Definition Part of Speech
conscious noticing that something is happening or existing
adjective aware, awake
discard to throw away verb dispose keep
emerge to come into view; to come out into the open
verb appear disappear
resent to feel angered and injured by
verb dislike love
vacant empty; not being used by anyone
adjective blank full
Word Exampleconscious I am conscious of being hungry during class when it is close to
dinnertime. Because I am aware of my hunger and really notice it, I have a hard time paying attention.What are you conscious of right now?
discard The teacher appreciates it when we discard all trash before leaving the classroom. She wants us to throw it away so the room is not messy.What is something you would never discard?
emerge After the rainstorm, sometimes a rainbow will emerge in the sky when the sun comes out. It seems to appear out of nowhere in the open sky.What have you seen emerge into view?
resent I resent you for cutting in front of me in line. I am angry because I got here early, and you came here much later.Why would you resent someone?
vacant There are many vacant homes in the city. They are empty and not being used mainly because of the increase in crime in the area.Are there any vacant homes in your neighborhood?
Fill in the Blank
1. I always ____________ the package after opening a present.
2. Being told to shut up is something I would ____________.
3. The ____________ lot was overgrown with weeds.
4. The student was _____________ of the rainy weather today, so she brought a raincoat.
5. Someone must ____________ as the leader or we will never finish this project.
1. I am always conscious of ______________________________________________.2. I will never discard ___________________________________________________.3. I think the most exciting technology to emerge is
____________________________.4. I would resent someone if ______________________________________________.5. My vacant apartment needs _____________________________________________.
Yes, No, Why?
1. Is it good to discard old traditions as new ones emerge?2. Would you resent living near an overgrown and dangerous vacant lot?
Read and Respond
The Miller’s Problem (Six Way Paragraphs Introductory Level: 3rd Edition, page 126; ISBN 0-8442-2124-4)
1. What problem would emerge from using canvas material for sails?2. What conditions would a miller have to be conscious of to do his job well?3. Why was the idea of using canvas for sails discarded?
conscious discard emerge resent vacant