Y3 Learning pack Week 6 (18/5/20) Summer term...Writing task 1 – Mythical Creatures This week we...
Embed Size (px)
Transcript of Y3 Learning pack Week 6 (18/5/20) Summer term...Writing task 1 – Mythical Creatures This week we...
Y3 Learning pack – Week 6 (18/5/20) Summer term
Hello Year 3!
It is nearly half term! Can you believe you have spent a whole half term learning from
home? That is 6 weeks!! We think your parents are doing a super job in home schooling
you. It is a lot of new learning from them too. We wonder if you have had to teach your
parents anything whilst you’ve been off?!
Here is your next home learning pack to keep you busy. As before, you have five maths
activities, three English activities, three reading activities and a creative task. You can print
off this booklet or just complete the work on paper. This is your pack so you can use it
however you like. Remember some of our grown-ups are still busy working, so why not see
if you can have a go at some of these tasks independently. Your grown-ups will be super
impressed if you do!
This week we are going to go back to Greek mythology. During reading, you will be looking
at the Greek myth “The Wooden Horse” (I bet you can guess what it will be about). In
English, we have lots of new mythical creatures for you to look at because we know you
enjoyed learning about the Minotaur.
It makes us smile every day when you tweet you us your work. We miss you guys lots and it makes us feel very proud when we see you work so please keep on tweeting us. It makes our day!
Stay safe and happy!
Love Miss Pillar, Mrs Barrett and
P.S. If you have forgotten your Times
Tables Rockstars login, ask your
grown up to either email or ring
school to get it.
Reading task 1 – The Wooden Horse
1. Find and copy the phrase which people said about Helen.
2. On page 4, King Menelaus wanted Helen to stay by his side forever. How do you think
Helen felt about this? Explain your answer (look at the picture too).
3. Which word gives you the impression that Paris was desperate for Helen to go back
to Troy with him?
4. Based on what you have read so far, can you make a prediction about what you think
you will happen next?
Reading task 2 – ‘The Wooden Horse
1. On page 11, it says “Troy was well defended”. What does defended mean?
2. How long did the war last?
3. Why do you think King Menelaus bought over more soldiers? What does this tell you
about his character?
4. Write the numbers 1-5 in the boxes to show the correct order of the story so far:
All the Kings of Greece agreed to help bring Helen home.
Paris, King of Troy, and Helen fell madly in love.
Odysseus had a plan.
Paris, the King of Troy, came to King Menelaus’ palace.
Time and time again the Greeks attacked the city of Troy.
Reading task 3 – The Wooden Horse
1. Which two words are used to describe the wooden horse?
2. What was the first stage of Odysseus’ plan?
3. How do you think Odysseus felt when he saw his plan come to life?
4. What do you think is going to happen next? Is his plan going to work?
If you want to read the rest of the story, it will
be added onto the end of this booklet!
Writing task 1 – Mythical Creatures
This week we are going to look at mythical creatures – we have already seen one of these in
the Greek myth Theseus and the Minotaur.
There are lots of different mythical creatures created by the Greeks. There are a few listed
below. You could always research your own mythical creature if you wanted.
Your task is to create a word bank of descriptive words or phrases to describe three of the
Writing task 2 – Kenning Poetry
Using one of your mythical creatures from yesterday you are going to be writing a kenning
You might want to do some extra research about your chosen mythical creature if you wish.
Here is an example… can you guess which mythical creature it is?
Gather your ideas (nouns and verbs to describe the create) before you start thinking about
A kenning describes what a person, idea or object is or does. They work like a riddle – you have to guess
what it’s all about!
Each line is a simple phrase of either a; noun + a noun e.g. tail wagger
OR a noun + a verb e.g. cat chasing
Writing task 3 – SPaG
Task One – tenses (https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/topics/zrqqtfr/articles/z3dbg82)
Sort the verbs into the past, present and future
laugh, built, eat, ate, done, caught, will build, will laugh, build, laughed, will
do, will eat, catch, do, will catch
Past Present Future
Change these sentences from the past tense into the present or future tense;
1. I listened to the rain.
2. I knew I would get a bike for my birthday.
3. I drove home last night.
4. I kicked the ball over the fence.
5. I cried when I fell over.
Task Two – subordination (https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/topics/zwwp8mn/articles/zqk37p3)
Can you identify which sentences below use subordination?
Josh put the plates on the table.
You can have a sticker if you would like one.
Lily gave her baby sister a cuddle.
When you have finished, please tell me.
We went inside because it was raining.
Year 3 and 4 Statutory Spelling List
Whilst we are not sending spelling activities home, we thought it would be useful to attach
a list of the spellings that the children focus on throughout year 3 and 4.
There are many fun ways to practice spellings, each week we will give you a couple of
suggestions to try at home.
This week to practice your spellings you could:
Bounce a ball as you spell each word – 1 bounce for each letter
Use your finger and trace each word in a try filled with sand, salt, flour, sugar, shaving
cream or what every you can put in the tray (box lid, cookie sheet etc.).
Here you will find a range of maths activities. The activities are from the White Rose Maths
which we use at school and have videos alongside them. You can use this link to find videos
to support each activity if you wish https://whiterosemaths.com/homelearning/year-3/
(The following lessons are from Week 4 on the Year 3 home learning page).
Maths task 1 – Add fractions Week 4 Lesson 1
Maths task 2 – Subtract fractions Week 4 Lesson 2 https://wrm-13b48.kxcdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/homelearning/year-3/Lesson-2-
Maths task 3 – Problem solving Week 4 Lesson 3
Maths task 4 – Problem solving Week 4 Lesson 4
Maths task 5 – Friday challenge Week 4 Lesson 5
Please also keep using Times Table Rocks Stars; this will help you to keep improving your
times table knowledge and to get even quicker as answering multiplication questions.
If you’re using social media to keep in touch with your friends, maybe you could set each
other times table quizzes to answer.
Creative task – Light (shadows)
Our science topic for this half term would have been light. Light is all around us, watch this
video to learn more - https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/topics/zbssgk7/articles/z2s4xfr .
This week we are going to focus on shadows. We can’t have shadows without light. Can you go on a shadow hunt and see how many shadows you can find? When you’re looking, try and figure out where the sun or source of light needs to be to create the shadow? Does the object block the light or is the light in front of the object?
Here are some more videos for you to watch: https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/clips/z6fnvcw
This week we like you have to a go at creating your own shadows – see how many different ways you can make them.
Reading task 1
1. She was the most beautiful woman in the world. 2. I don’t think Helen was very happy about this because she looks sad in the picture. 3. Begged 4. Children to make an independent and appropriate prediction
Reading task 2
1. Defended means it was protected. 2. Over ten years 3. I think he bought over more soldiers to try and break down the walls. It tells me that he was very
determined. 4. Order the sentences 1-5:
3 - All the Kings of Greece agreed to help bring Helen home 2 - Paris, King of Troy, and Helen fell madly in love 5 - Odysseus had a plan 1 - Paris, the King of Troy, came the King Menelaus’ palace 4 - Time and time again the Greeks attacked the city of Troy
Reading task 3
1. Mighty and magnificent 2. To cut down lots of trees 3. I think he felt excited and pleased when he saw the wooden horse. 4. Children to make an independent and appropriate prediction
Writing task 3 – SpaG
Task one - tenses
Past Present Future
1. I am listening to the rain (present). I will listen to the rain (future). 2. I know I am getting a bike (present). I know I will get a bike (future). 3. I am driving home (present). I will drive home (future). 4. I am kicking the ball over the fence (present). I will kick the ball over the fence (future). 5. I am crying because I fell over (present). I will cry if I fall over (future).
Sentence Contains a
Doesn’t contain a subordinate
Josh put the plates on the table. ✓
You can have a sticker if you would like one. ✓
Lily gave her baby sister a cuddle. ✓
When you have finished, please tell me. ✓
We went inside because it was raining. ✓
Maths task 1 – Add fractions
Maths task 2 – Subtract fractions
Maths task 3 – Problem solving
Maths task 4 – Problem solving
Maths task 5 – Friday challenge