WRITING. THIRD GRADE WRITING Throughout the third grade year, students will write a variety of...
Embed Size (px)
Transcript of WRITING. THIRD GRADE WRITING Throughout the third grade year, students will write a variety of...
THIRD GRADE WRITING
Throughout the third grade year, students will write a variety of personal narratives, imaginative narratives, expository writing, journal writing and persuasive writing.
Good Beginnings - question, sound, thought, dialogue, setting, and introduce the character
Elaborative Detail - critical characters, settings, and objects SHOW NOT TELL
Build Suspense - red flag words ex. suddenly, in the blink of an eye, without warning, all of a sudden, to my surprise, etc
Main Event - action (in slow motion), description, thoughts, dialogue, and sound effects
5. Action leading to conclusion
6. Extended ending or closing - feeling, wish, thought, or decision
THE WRITING PROCESS
1. Pre-Writing - brainstorm ideas for writing
2. Drafting - write a rough draft
3. Revising - peer conferences/teacher conferences
4. Editing - correct errors / rubrics
5. Publishing - write your final copy / rubrics
How can your child be prepared to write in the third grade?
1. Be sure your child uses capitalization and punctuation! Students must write a complete sentence which includes a "subject and "predicate. Practice high frequency words over the summer.
An easy way to help your child recognize if they have a complete sentence is to teach them the little rhyme:
" A subject tells us what or who. The predicate tells us what they do!"
Students will have daily DOL's to reinforce the grammar skills. They will have to correct sentencesand identify errors.
Be sure your child understands:
noun - a person, place, or thing
proper nouns - a noun that is the name of a specific person, place, or thing. verb - action words (ex. jumping) or words that express a state of being. (ex. do, be)
adjective - a word used to describe a noun
How can you help your child over summer break?
1. Read every day! 2. Talk and write about summer experiences! Pick up workbooks on grammar! (2nd and 3rd grade)4. Study Island
WRITING IS A WORK INPROGRESS!!!
Thank you for helping build a strong foundation for your child to grow!!!
You'll be amazed at what they'll accomplish!!!!!