Why do artists make self portraits?
Embed Size (px)
Transcript of Why do artists make self portraits?
- 1. RealisticSelf Portrait
- 2. Why do artists make self portraits?Traditionally, artists create portraits of themselves over the course of their careers.Beyond representing ones physical attributes, self-portraiture can also serve to announce ones vocation as an artist, ones place in society, or ones style.
- 3. Vincent Van GoghI purposely bought a mirror goodenough to enable me to work frommy image in default of a model,because if I can manage to paintthe colouring of my own head,which is not to be done withoutsome difficulty, I shall likewise beable to paint the heads of othergood souls, men and women.- Vincent Van Gogh
- 4. Frida Kahlo During her lifetime, Frida created some 200 paintings, drawings and sketches related to her experiences in life, physical and emotional pain and her turbulent relationship with Diego. She produced 143 paintings, 55 of which are self-portraits. When asked why she painted so many self- portraits, Frida replied: "Because I am so often alone....because I am the subject I know best."
- 5. Pablo PicassoAre we to paint whats on theface, whats inside the face, orwhats behind it? - Pablo Picasso
- 6. Henri MatisseFit the parts together, one into theother, and build your figure like acarpenter builds a house. Everythingmust be constructed, composed ofparts that make a whole....- Henri Matisse
- 7. Drawing in ProportionGRID DRAWING:A WAY TO ENSURE THAT YOURPROPORTIONS AND LAYOUTIN A DRAWING ARE CORRECT
- 8. STUDENT EXAMPLES
- 9. STUDENT EXAMPLES
- 10. STUDENT EXAMPLES
- 11. STUDENT EXAMPLES
- 12. Next: Set Up Your GridGo on to session two to get started.CREATE A ONE INCH GRID ON YOUR PHOTOGRAPHCREATE A TWO INCH GRID ON YOUR PAPER