White gold - Opportunities for Dairy Sector Development Collaboration in East Africa - Makoni et al....
Embed Size (px)
This report presents findings from desk studies and country visits on the six East African countries (Burundi, Ethiopia, Kenya, Rwanda, Tanzania, and Uganda) made on request of the Inter-Agency Donor Group on Pro-poor Livestock Development, as per study terms of reference. It includes recommendations on areas of donor support and collaboration, a regional dairy sector analysis, country dairy profiles, and current donor programs in the dairy sector.
Transcript of White gold - Opportunities for Dairy Sector Development Collaboration in East Africa - Makoni et al....
- Nathaniel Makoni, ABSTCM Ltd Raphael Mwai, PPD Consultants Tsehay Redda, EDBD Services Akke van der Zijpp, Wageningen University Jan van der Lee, Centre for Development Innovation, Wageningen UR White Gold: Opportunities for Dairy Sector Development Collaboration in Ethiopia & East Africa Inter Agency Donor Group Meeting, Masaka-Mbarara, Uganda April 1 to 3, 2014
- Study Countries
- Outline 1. Terms of Reference 2. Methods 3. Analysis & Findings 4. Key Issues & Recommendations Regional level Individual Country Level 5. Suggestions on Donor Contribution 6. Conclusion
- Terms of Reference Country assessments: Value chains Enabling environment (Policy dairy sector, organizations, training) Donor programs General analysis Recommendations for action.
- 1. Desk Studies/Country Review 2. Country Studies & validation visit Key informant meetings Focus group discussions Field observations 3. Countries visited: Burundi, Ethiopia, Kenya, Rwanda Tanzania & Uganda 4. Stakeholders reached: Input suppliers, Farmers, Transporters, Milk Traders, Processors, Public sector, Supermarkets & Kiosks Methods
- Conceptual Framework Dairy Investments Demanded Services Scale production Gender balance
- Analysis and Findings Processor Aggregator /Transport MCC Transport RetailInputs & services To market raw warm milk Consumer ToMarket Cottage industry Dairy Value Chains Scenarios Ethiopia & East African Countries
- Ethiopia & East Africa Informal Dairy Sector Uganda 97% 95% 90% 80% 80% 80% Formal 13% Informal 87% Formal:Informal Sector
- 0 200 400 600 800 1000 Burundi Ethiopia Kenya Rwanda Tanzania Uganda US $ GDP /Capita WB 2012/13 Economics Data Burundi Ethiopia Kenya Rwanda Tanzania Uganda 2.4 7 8 6 1.53 3 Dairy Contribution to GDP (%) ?