Embed Size (px)
Transcript of Week1 powerpoint
- 1. WR39C GETTING STARTED OR.
- 2. What did I get myself into?
- 3. Hopefully by now youve had a chance to read through the syllabus.. If you havent, then make that a priority! This presentation will go over a few important points that I dont want you to miss
- 4. The Major Assignments (and what theyre worth in the final grade) Historical Conversations Project (25%) Advocacy Project (45%) Social Media=15%; AP=30%; Portfolio & Reflection Essay (30%)
- 5. As part of the three major assignments, youll have several minor assignments that will all help you build your knowledge and skills so that you can complete the major assignments. Think of the smaller assignments as scaffolding they are foundational to your work and thus, very important! Thats why the Grade Contract says that if you complete all the assignments, both major and minor, you are assured of a B as your final grade Heres a visual representation of the basic tasks well be working on each week of the quarter, and how they fit in with the major assignments:
- 6. Weeks 1-3 Weeks 4-6 Weeks 7-8 Week 9 Week 10 Starting your research Learning UCIs Library Learning about your topic Choosing, Annotating sources Blog & Portfolio Scholarly Texts: Animal Science Choosing, Annotating sources Draft, Review, Revise HCP Beginning Social Media Project Blog & Portfolio Social Media Project Continues Asking Philosophical Questions Choosing, Annotating Sources Defining a Problem Blog & Portfolio Finding Solutions Drafting AP Choosing, Annotating Sources Counter- Arguments and Various Perspectives Blog & Portfolio Finalizing AP Draft Reflection Essay Review, Revise Reflection Essay Blog & Portfolio Historical Conversations Project (HCP) Advocacy Project (AP) Portfolio and Reflection its all connected!
- 7. HCP In this essay, you will write a historical review of the scientific literature about a specific type of research in Animal Science The TIME articles we read in week 2 will give you some ideas about the current kinds of research being done in Animal Science In every disciplinescience, social science, engineering, computer science, humanities scholars begin their texts by first reviewing what other scholars/scientists have written about the topic. Thats what youll be doing in your HCP Before we begin the HCP, well first do a bit of research and reading to find out what kinds of issues are out there for the Advocacy Projectwhy? Because your HCP is going to end up as a Literature Review that sets up a foundation for the issue you will define and propose solutions for in the AP. In other words, although the HCP and the AP are two separate essays, the HCP is really the first part of the AP. If you want to get a better idea of how that looks when its all done, look at the essays in the student sample portfolios on the home page of Canvas this week (week 1).
- 8. SAMPLE HCP TOPICS Intellect and Cognition Social Groups Emotion and Mourning Domestication and Evolution Communication
- 9. Notice that the HCP is NOT about an issue and its not yet making an argumentits a review of what we know through scientific research, which also provides a bit of history on how the research has developed. This review of the science will act as a foundation for the argument you will be making in the Advocacy Project
- 10. SOCIAL MEDIA CAMPAIGN This is the first step of the Advocacy Project, where you will research about the issues that interest you and with a group of colleagues, create a social media campaign that informs and persuades
- 11. As part of your Social Media Campaign, you will create an infographic Youll research to find facts and statistics about your issue, and then provide a graphical illustration of that info like this!
- 12. AP The Advocacy Project is a multimodal essay in which you define a current problem concerning the animal-human relationship and then recommend solutions to that problem, making an argument about why the solutions you are suggesting are the best ways to solve the problem The next page illustrates the basic structure youll follow as you create the APnotice that it begins with material from your HCP
- 13. Review of the Scientific Literature Ask Philosophical Questions based on what we know from the science Define a ProblemHistory of the Issue Recommend Solutions The Advocacy Project
- 14. Well write the parts of the AP in chunks all the while continuing our research and annotation of sources This will help insure that you cant procrastinate and get behind
- 15. Phew! There is a lot of work ahead Im already tired! Youll be fine as long as you keep up with the weekly assignments!! My daughters husky Diesel
- 16. This is Watson; he lives with me He hates it when I put him in costumes Thanks for taking the time to read through this presentation!
- 17. LHAAS@UCI.EDU You can always email me if you have questions But please check Canvas first syllabus, home page, assignments to see if your question is already answered there. Magic Katie< my two cats >
- 18. Mahatma Gandhi "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treatedI hold that, the more helpless a creature, the more entitled it is to protection from the cruelty of human kind.