Weds tech med_summit2010_shs_11.10.10final
Embed Size (px)
Transcript of Weds tech med_summit2010_shs_11.10.10final
- 1.August 29, 2010 TechMed Summit 2010: Get Ready for Success in Health IT November 10 th , 2010 HIT Session Day 1 Presented by: Paula J. Magnanti, MT(ASCP) Founder & Managing Principal Strategic Healthcare Solutions
- Welcome & Introductions
- Strategic Healthcare Solutions
- The National Healthcare Landscape
- The Healthcare Echo System
- The Final Rules: Overview of Meaningful Use & HITECH Act
- Meaningful Use: The Next Steps
- What are the Regional Extension Centers?
- Next Steps
Healthcare national landscape effecting healthcare IT 3. August 29, 2010 WelcomeIntroductions & Networking 4. DATALINK HEALTHCARE PRACTICE Go-To-Market: Strategic ProjectHDS Healthcare & Life SciencesThe National Healthcare Landscape Strategy Formulation September 2nd, 2010 August 29, 2010 Healthcare national landscape effecting healthcare IT Paula J. Magnanti, MT(ASCP) Founder & Managing Principal Biography Strategic Healthcare Solutions (SHS) is a New England-based healthcare consulting firm providing servicesfor clients in electronic health records, heath information management, healthcare IT, health & wellness services organizations, physician practices, retail pharmacies, long-term care, pharmaceutical, public health, consulting,and market research. We specialize in delivering strategic business solutions servicing clients from small start-ups to large healthcare organizations looking to rapidly increase market development, or to strengthen and enhance the connection and collaboration of health information management through IT. Ms. Magnanti is the founder and managing Principal of Strategic Healthcare Solutions.As a strategic thinker and healthcare consultant, she has brought more than 20 years of executive leadership experience in managing client project engagements to healthcare organizations, private corporations and nonprofit associations by evaluating and responding to emerging healthcare IT market trends and government policy initiatives. Locally, In New England she has also been invited to serve on the Healthcare Advisory boards for the New England Chapter of HIMSS, New England Council, the Massachusetts Technology Leadership Council, the Mass Health Data Consortiums EHR Forum, and the Hartford CIO Forum's Executive Advisory Council. For her dedication to the HIMSS community over the past ten years, Ms. Magnanti has been bestowed and honored with the following recognition awards; 2009 NEHIMSS 10 Year Board of Excellence Recognition Award, May 2007 Spirit of HIMSS Award, nominated in 2006 for the HIMSS Chapter Leader of the Year Award and was awarded the 2005 NE HIMSS Board Recognition Award. 5. DATALINK HEALTHCARE PRACTICE Go-To-Market: Strategic ProjectHDS Healthcare & Life SciencesThe National Healthcare Landscape Strategy Formulation September 2nd, 2010 August 29, 2010 Healthcare national landscape effecting healthcare IT Paula J. Magnanti, MT(ASCP) Founder & Managing Principal Biography Ms. Magnanti earned a Bachelor of Science degree in Medical Laboratory Science with honors from Northeastern University. She is a registered Medical Technologist and board-certified by the American Society of Clinical Pathologists.(SHS) recent client project engagement involved hiring Ms. Magnanti as an Independent Consultant assuming the role as a dedicated partner andHealthcare Advisorfor a medical grade document management, electronic health records(EHR) and personal health records (PHR) company for physician practices,prior to that she was hired in an executive leadership role as theNortheast Regional Directorof healthcare delivery for a document management services company specializing in processing health information management. In this role she was responsible for launching their entire products and services in the Northeast--including overseeing market development, strategic development along with all marketing and sales efforts, and client relations.In addition, prior to that, Ms. Magnanti was hired as a consultant assuming the role as aHealthcare Advisor for a start-up enterprise access security software company.Before that, Paula was hired on consulting project acting in the role as theVice President of Strategic Developmentfor a start-up Internet Healthcare Company that specialized in customized web sites for physician practices. Prior to founding Strategic Healthcare Solutions, she was Senior Manager of Strategic Partnering at Bizland, an Internet start-up that provides web services for small businesses & Fortune 500 companies.Before that, she was Director of Sales & marketing at Psyche Systems, a developer of Laboratory Information Systems for the hospital market, and prior to that, she worked for Corporate Software & Technology as theVendor Manager for Sybase . 6. August 29, 2010 Healthcare national landscape effecting healthcare IT Government Initiatives: The Healthcare Echo System 7. DATALINK HEALTHCARE PRACTICE Go-To-Market: Strategic ProjectHDS Healthcare & Life SciencesThe National Healthcare Landscape Strategy Formulation September 2nd, 2010 August 29, 2010 Healthcare national landscape effecting healthcare IT The National Healthcare Landscape 8. November 2nd, 2010 Healthcare national landscape effecting healthcare IT ARRAHITECHHEALTHCARE REFORM ACO~ACCOUNTABLE CARE ORGANIZATIONS HIE's, HIO's, RHIO's REC~REGIONAL EXTENSION CENTERS The National Healthcare Landscape MEANINGFUL USE CCHIT, EHR's, PHR's BEACON COMMUNITIES PATIENT-CENTERED MEDICAL HOMES HIPAA 5010, HIPAA HITECH ICD10 9.
- National Healthcare Legislation
- OBAMA Administration
- President Barack Obama, ARRA& HITECH Acts 2009
- ONC (Office of the National Coordinator for Health Information Technology)
- David Blumenthal, MD, national coordinator for health information technology
- DHHS (Department of Health and Human Services)
- Kathleen Sebelius, Department of Health and Human Services Secretary
- CMS (Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services)
- THE FEDERATION OF AMERICAN HOSPITALS
Whos Driving? Healthcare national landscape effecting healthcare IT 10.
- National Healthcare Legislation
- NATIONAL STATEWIDE HIE INITIATIVES
- FEDERAL & STATE MANDATES HITECH/HIPAA
- STATE OF MASSACHUSETTS Governor Deval L. Patrick
- Mandated Laws
- Massachusetts Hospital CPOE Initiative, 2008,
- Massachusetts Chapter 305 of the Acts of 2008 www.mass.gov/legis/laws/seslaw08/sl080305.htm
- Massachusetts Data Security Laws, Massachusetts 201 CMR 17.00
Healthcare national landscape effecting healthcare IT 11.
- What is ARRA? (American Recovery & Reinvestment Act of 2009)
- The American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 (ARRA)
- is an economic stimulus bill created to help the United States economy recover from an economic downturn that began in late 2007. Congress enacted ARRA February 17, 2009.
- ARRA allocates$787 billionto fund tax cuts and supplements to social welfare programs as well as increased spending for education, health care, infrastructure and the energy sector.
- According to ARRA's statement of purpose, it was developed to:
- To preserve and create jobs and promote economic recovery.
- To assist those most impacted by the recession.
- To provide investments needed to increase economic efficiency by spurring technological advances in science and health.
- To invest in transportation, environmental protection, and other infrastructure that will providelong-term economic benefits.
- To stabilize State and local government budgets, in order to minimize and avoid reductions in essential services and counterproductive state and local tax increases.
- source: http://www.hhs.gov/recovery/
Healthcare national landscape effecting healthcare IT 12. August 29, 2010 Healthcare national landscape effecting healthcare IT Where Your Money Is Going? $787 billion source: http://www.hhs.gov/recovery/ 13. August 29, 2010 Healthcare national landscape effecting healthcare IT for Economic and Clinical Health Act? HITECH Act: What is Health Information Technology The Health Information Technology for Economic and Clinical Health Act(HITECH Act) legislation created to stimulate the adoption of electronic health records (EHR) andsupporting technology in the United States.President Obama signed HITECH into law on February 17, 2009as part of theAmerican Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 (ARRA), an economic stimulus bill. The HITECH act stipulates that, beginning in 2011, healthcare providers will be offeredfinancial incentives for demonstrating meaningful use of electronic health records (EHR).Incentives will be offered until 2015, after which time penalties may be levied for failing todemonstrate such use. The Act also establishes grants for training centers for the personnelrequired to support a health IT infrastructure. source: http://www.hhs.gov/recovery/ 14. August 29, 2010 Healthcare national landscape effecting healthcare IT The Health Information Technology for Economic a