U10 digital imaging & photography
Embed Size (px)
Guide to survival of Unit 10, digital imaging and photography
Transcript of U10 digital imaging & photography
- 1. Health Warning Please remember that the Exam Board doesnt provide MAs for anything beyond U4, so this is my best interpretation of the markgrids and other paperwork Note: this one needs easy and frequent access to a decent digi camera.. Or two and lenses and printers and paper
- 2. Scenario Well this is basically a Show And Tell Unit. Here you are providing instruction and guidance on the techniques and skills involved in digital imagery and the impacts of different elements on the outcomes. So this is a portfolio, culminating in something like the one I showed you in class, on the power of the digital camera combined with modern image manipulation software.
- 3. Task 1: The Kit Here you establish the ground rules: Functions of a digital camera (detail depends on level) Produce photographic evidence supporting statements made Basically, showing how file size, resolution, focus and exposure change the image
- 4. Task 1: The Kit So start with an outline of what a decent digi camera does. NOT a smartphone camera, not a hugely expensive SLR with bells and whistles. How do you control each of these features? And what happens when you do?
- 5. Markgrid AO1 PASS Candidates demonstrate some knowledge of the functions of a digital camera and how to control them. They choose and set file size, resolution and selectively set focus and exposure. They produce a range of images that demonstrate a sound knowledge of digital photography, taking account of the characteristics of a digital camera.
- 6. Markgrid AO1 MERIT Candidates demonstrate a good understanding of the digital format and its strengths and limitations. They use the characteristics of the digital camera to enhance a chosen photographic situation. They show a competent understanding of adjusting camera settings to achieve desired file size, resolution, focus and exposure. They capture creative visual images that take advantage of the digital camera format.
- 7. Markgrid AO1 DISTINCTION Candidates demonstrate a thorough understanding of digital image creation and production. They use the characteristics of the digital camera to enhance a chosen photographic situation. They show an advanced understanding of adjusting camera settings to achieve desired, resolution, focus and exposure. Candidates capture creative visual images that take advantage of the digital camera format. The candidates digital photographs will show a thorough understanding of the digital format and its strengths and limitations.
- 8. Task 2: Nuts & Bolts So you took the photo. Great. Now what about storage? What about formats for best effect/ smallest storage/ easiest sharing??? More explanation here and as always, if youre not sure whether to say it, remember its better to be looking AT it than FOR it when youre talking coursework!
- 9. Markgrid AO2 PASS Candidates demonstrate a good knowledge of file types for digital photographs and data storage formats. Yeah, straightforward, but even at Pass this means more than uh, the camera stores it in, uh, jpeg, so I guess that works!
- 10. Markgrid AO2 MERIT Candidates demonstrate a detailed knowledge of file types for digital photographs and data storage formats. They explain and compare the different file types.
- 11. Markgrid AO2 DISTINCTION Candidates demonstrate a thorough understanding of file types for digital photographs and data storage formats. They explain clearly and compare the different file types and identify the situations when each type is most suitable for use.
- 12. Task 3: New stuff for later Here you collect your images, looking specifically at the next couple of AOs, when you have to manipulate them to create the portfolio. Think of a project image, incorporating a number of images youve created and some youve collected, and collect those new images now.
- 13. Markgrid AO3 PASS Candidates identify and collect new images from other sources and save them in appropriate file formats. They should use these images in conjunction with their own images to produce new images for Assessment Objectives 4 and 5.
- 14. Markgrid AO3 MERIT Candidates identify and collect new images from a range of other sources and save them in appropriate file formats. They will use these images in conjunction with their own images to produce a range of new images for Assessment Objectives 4 and 5.
- 15. Markgrid AO3 DISTINCTION Candidates identify and collect new images from a wide range of other sources and save them in appropriate file formats. They will use them in conjunction with their own images both digital and traditional to produce new, creatively rich images for Assessment Objectives 4 and 5.
- 16. Task 4: Pulling bits together Here you create your images showcasing a range of skills and techniques: the number & range depends on your level. But here are those skills: sizing images, cropping and scaling/changing resolution/ adjusting image colour attributes, saturation / rotating, straightening / brightness, contrast / built-in effects e.g. embossing, pencil/charcoal sketches
- 17. Markgrid AO4 PASS Candidates demonstrate a good understanding of manipulating digital images and modify them suitably using digital software. They will use each editing technique listed at least once.
- 18. Markgrid AO4 MERIT Candidates competently manipulate digital images and creatively enhance them using digital software. They will use each editing technique listed appropriately at least once.
- 19. Markgrid AO4 DISTINCTION Candidates demonstrate mastery of digital image creation and enhancement, using industry standard software tools to a professional level. This will include effective use of all the editing techniques listed. Candidates will annotate their printouts to explain the choice of editing technique.
- 20. Task 5: New Stuff More techniques to exhibit this time using your own images: adding effects, e.g. morphing, using filters, layers, masks, paths / photo enhancements / juxtaposition and superimposition of images and text / multiple images / photo restoration e.g. noise removal, lasso, feathering, cloning, healing and correcting patches / palettes / changing colour balance / sharpening and softening / changing contrast
- 21. Task 5: New Stuff Things to note here: Candidates should be aware of the rapid market changes in this field and of any new software and digital tools that may affect their creative toolbox. (so use em!) Candidates should produce before and after images as well as annotated screenshots showing a range of tools and techniques used on a range of photographs. They must also explain why they have used those particular tools and techniques.
- 22. Markgrid AO5 PASS Candidates carry out complex image manipulation and creation using image manipulation software using a variety of advanced editing techniques. They will use each of the techniques listed.
- 23. Markgrid AO5 MERIT Candidates carry out complex image manipulation and creation using image manipulation software using a variety of advanced editing techniques. They will use each of the techniques and examples listed
- 24. Markgrid AO5 DISTINCT