Transactions of the Shropshire Archaeological & …...Transactions of the Shropshire Archaeological...

of 25/25
Transactions of the Shropshire Archaeological & Historical Society Contents Volume 43 part 1 Shropshire Members of Parliament, by Henry T. Weyman, F.S.A. The Welsh Shrievalty Papers among the Bridgewater MSS, by Caroline A. J. Skeel, D.Litt. The Lord Calvin, by Francis Pember, D.C.L. The Family of Marston of Afcote, etc., by the late Evelyn H. Martin (concluded) The Family of James, of Mainstone, by the Revd. C. S. James, B.A. The Baxter Family of Eaton Constantine, by the Rev. W. G. D. Fletcher, M.A., F.S.A. (concluded) The Life of William Baxter. Addenda et Corrigenda to the Notes, by J. E. Auden, M.A. Patent of Peerage granted to Sir Francis Richard Sandford, K.C.B., 20 January 1891 Old Timber-framed Houses, Principles of Construction, by H. E. Forrest, F.L.S. Miscellanea Lord Clive's Statue Excavations at Wroxeter in 1925 Excavations at Stowe (near Knighton) Shropshire Resent Excavations in Grope Lane and Fish Street, Shrewsbury Bronze Spear-Head found near the Day House, Cherrington Bronze Implements from the Edgebold Brickfield, near Shrewsbury Inventory of the Goods of Thomas Challenor, Head Master of Shrewsbury School, 27 October 1664 Stone Celt from the Longmynd Excavations at the White Abbey, Alberbury Monumental Inscriptions, Eaton under Haywood Volume 43 part 2 Shropshire Members of Parliament, by Henry T. Weyman, F.S.A. (continued) The Earliest Book of the Drapers' Company, Shrewsbury, transcribed by Lily F. Chitty (continued) The Rural Deanery of Ludlow in the 16th Century, by the Rev. A. J. Knapton, M.A. Briefs for Shropshire Churches, etc., by Colonel Herbert R. H. Southam, V.D., F.S.A. The Building of the Church of Great Bolas, 1720-1729, by the Rev. W. G. D. Fletcher, M.A., F.S.A. Notes on Prehistoric Implements, by Lily F. Chitty The Hoar Stone or Marsh Pool Circle, by Lily F. Chitty Sherry's Meadow, Yockleton, by Lily F. Chitty Detton, by the Rev. R. C. Purton, M.A. Certificates of Residence, temp. Charles I., Smallman Family, by Colonel Herbert R. H. Southam Shropshire Inquisitions post Mortem, by the Rev. W. G. D. Fletcher, MA,. F.S.A. Miscellanea Monumental Inscriptions, Eaton under Haywood (continued) Inscriptions in the Church, Eaton under Haywood Tomb of Dame Alianore le Strange, High Ercall A letter of Thomas Cooke, dated 1653 King Charles I’s Proclamation, Oct 14, 1642 Bronze Dirk found near the Whetstones Circle The D. G. Goodwin Collection of Antiquities Two Cinerary Urns from Little Ryton Pottery from Clun District Changes in Shrewsbury Excavations at Wroxeter 1929 Wyle Cop and Dogpole, New Alignment General Index to Volume X Volume 44 part 1 Shropshire Members of Parliament, by Henry T. Weyman, F.S.A. (continued) The Grey Friars of Bridgnorth, by the Rev. Prebendary W. G. Clark-Maxwell, M.A., F.S.A.
  • date post

    23-Feb-2020
  • Category

    Documents

  • view

    13
  • download

    0

Embed Size (px)

Transcript of Transactions of the Shropshire Archaeological & …...Transactions of the Shropshire Archaeological...

  • Transactions of the Shropshire Archaeological & Historical Society

    Contents Volume 43 part 1 Shropshire Members of Parliament, by Henry T. Weyman, F.S.A. The Welsh Shrievalty Papers among the Bridgewater MSS, by Caroline A. J. Skeel, D.Litt. The Lord Calvin, by Francis Pember, D.C.L. The Family of Marston of Afcote, etc., by the late Evelyn H. Martin (concluded) The Family of James, of Mainstone, by the Revd. C. S. James, B.A. The Baxter Family of Eaton Constantine, by the Rev. W. G. D. Fletcher, M.A., F.S.A. (concluded) The Life of William Baxter. Addenda et Corrigenda to the Notes, by J. E. Auden, M.A. Patent of Peerage granted to Sir Francis Richard Sandford, K.C.B., 20 January 1891 Old Timber-framed Houses, Principles of Construction, by H. E. Forrest, F.L.S. Miscellanea Lord Clive's Statue Excavations at Wroxeter in 1925 Excavations at Stowe (near Knighton) Shropshire Resent Excavations in Grope Lane and Fish Street, Shrewsbury Bronze Spear-Head found near the Day House, Cherrington Bronze Implements from the Edgebold Brickfield, near Shrewsbury Inventory of the Goods of Thomas Challenor, Head Master of Shrewsbury School, 27

    October 1664 Stone Celt from the Longmynd Excavations at the White Abbey, Alberbury Monumental Inscriptions, Eaton under Haywood Volume 43 part 2 Shropshire Members of Parliament, by Henry T. Weyman, F.S.A. (continued) The Earliest Book of the Drapers' Company, Shrewsbury, transcribed by Lily F. Chitty (continued) The Rural Deanery of Ludlow in the 16th Century, by the Rev. A. J. Knapton, M.A. Briefs for Shropshire Churches, etc., by Colonel Herbert R. H. Southam, V.D., F.S.A. The Building of the Church of Great Bolas, 1720-1729, by the Rev. W. G. D. Fletcher, M.A., F.S.A. Notes on Prehistoric Implements, by Lily F. Chitty The Hoar Stone or Marsh Pool Circle, by Lily F. Chitty Sherry's Meadow, Yockleton, by Lily F. Chitty Detton, by the Rev. R. C. Purton, M.A. Certificates of Residence, temp. Charles I., Smallman Family, by Colonel Herbert R. H. Southam Shropshire Inquisitions post Mortem, by the Rev. W. G. D. Fletcher, MA,. F.S.A. Miscellanea Monumental Inscriptions, Eaton under Haywood (continued) Inscriptions in the Church, Eaton under Haywood Tomb of Dame Alianore le Strange, High Ercall A letter of Thomas Cooke, dated 1653 King Charles I’s Proclamation, Oct 14, 1642 Bronze Dirk found near the Whetstones Circle The D. G. Goodwin Collection of Antiquities Two Cinerary Urns from Little Ryton Pottery from Clun District Changes in Shrewsbury Excavations at Wroxeter 1929 Wyle Cop and Dogpole, New Alignment General Index to Volume X Volume 44 part 1 Shropshire Members of Parliament, by Henry T. Weyman, F.S.A. (continued) The Grey Friars of Bridgnorth, by the Rev. Prebendary W. G. Clark-Maxwell, M.A., F.S.A.

  • The King's Head Inn and Town Walls in Shrewsbury, by J. A. Morris Will of Admiral John Benbow Report by Sir Frederick Kenyon on the late Lord Brownlow's Papers at Ashridge Park Some old Shropshire Houses and their owners, by H. E. Forrest, F.L.S. References to Wales and the Marches in the Penshurst Place MSS, by Caroline A. J. Skeel The Dettons of Wheathill, by the Rev. R. C. Purton, M.A. Dug-out Canoes from Shropshire, by Lily F. Chitty Three Sepulchral Stones discovered at Wroxeter in 1752. An address by Dr. John Ward, V-P.R.S. in 1755, with introduction by J. A. Morris The Earliest Book of the Drapers' Company, Shrewsbury (continued) Miscellanea The so-called Seal of the Bridgnorth Grey Friars Inquisition post mortem William Greenowes, of Eudon, Burnell and Oldbury Shropshire Briefs in the Registers of Edlingham Bronze Spear-head from Petton Bronze Implements found near Castle Bryn Amlwg Tin Scabbard-end found on Watling Street The Earliest Book of the Draper's Company Local Bequests in the Will of John Jones of London and Hampton-on-Thames Lord Clive's Statue Deed of Exchange between Hanghmond and Wombridge The Will of Thomas Banaster, 1473 Volume 44 part 2 Shropshire Members of Parliament, By Henry T. Weyman, F.S.A. (continued) The Rural Deanery of Wenlock in the 16th Century, by the Rev. A. J. Knapton, M.A., B.D. Mediaeval Enclosures in Shropshire, by H. M. Auden Rural Settlement in Shropshire. A geographical Interpretation, by Dorothy Sylvester, B.A. Alberbury Priory, by Miss Rose Graham, M.A., F.S.A. and A. W. Clapham, Esq., F.S.A. Roman Bridge at Wroxeter, by J. A. Morris Miscellanea Excavations at Wroxeter. Removal of Articles to the Museum Clergy List 1563 - A correction Briefs in the Registers of Abdon Shropshire Briefs in the Registers of Baverstock, Wilts. The Preservation of old Cottages in Rural Districts General Index to Volume XI Volume 45 part 1 Shropshire Members of Parliament, by Henry T. Weyman, F.S.A. (continued) The Minister's Library in Tong Church, by the Rev. J. E. Auden, M.A. Notes on Recent Acquisitions to the Prehistoric Section, Shrewsbury Museum, by Lily F. Chitty The Grey Friars of Shrewsbury, by Canon A. J. Moriarty, D.D. The Riddle of Abdon Burf, by G. R. Harding Webster, B.A., F.R.S.A., F.R.G.S. The Rural Deaneries of Burford, Stottesdon, Pontesbury and Clun in the 16th Century, by, the Rev. A. J.

    Knapton, B.D. Shrewsbury Members of Parliament, by Henry T. Weyman, F.S.A. Miscellanea Stone Celt found in Clunton Small perforated Stone Adze from High Hatton Bronze Palstave from Preeswood ... v. Bronze Palstave from Knockin Wilderhope Bristol and America Aero-Films of the Excavations at Wroxeter Atcham Bridge Clive House, College Hill, Shrewsbury

  • Supplement Calendar of Shropshire Wills and Administrations deposited in the Shrewsbury District Probate Registry (Bridgnorth Wills)

    Volume 45 part 2 Shrewsbury Members of Parliament, by Henry T. Weyman, F.S.A. (continued) The Peculiar Courts of Shropshire (Local), by the Rev. J. E. Auden, MA. Some Old Shropshire Houses and their Owners: The Lee Family Mansions in Shropshire. (i) Cotori Hall, (ii) Nordley Regis, (iii) The Hay, by H. E. Forrest, F.L.S. Miscellanea A Shropshire Hearth Tax Receipt

    Constables of Shrewsbury Castle

    Shrewsbury Museum : Prehistoric Acquisitions Shropshire Members of Parliament The Burnell Family Conveyance by Sir Edward Stanley Tithe Barn, Eyton-on-Severn Demolition in Hill’s Lane An Early Medireval Building behind the Barge Inn Supplement Calendar of Wills and Administrations proved in the Peculiar Courts of Ellesmere and Prees Bridgnorth Peculiar Court Ellesmere Manorial Court Hampton and Colemere Manorial Court Lineal Manorial Court Prees Grants Volume 46 part 1 Henry Francis John Vaughan Bridgnorth Castle and Ethelfleda's Tower, by W. Watkins-Pitchford, M.D., L.L.D., F.R.C.S. The Manor of Oldbury near Bridgnorth, by the Rev. R. C. Purton, M.A. Flint Flakes from the Shrewsbury and Wellington District, by the late T. C. Cantrill, B.Sc., F.G.S. Another Elizabethan Clergy List, by the Rev. A. J. Knapton, M.A., B.D., F.R.Hist.S. Austin Friars and the Town Drainage, by J. A. Morris, F.R.S.A. William Burnel, by the Rev. A. L. Browne, M.A. Buildwas Abbey, The Survey of 1536, by the Rev. W. G. Clark-Maxwell, M.A., F.S.A. Some Old Shropshire Houses and their Owners: XI Aston Botterell, XII Bedstone Manor, XIII Chelmarsh,

    by H Edward Forrest, F.L.S. Bury Walls, Hawkstone, by J. A. Morris, F.R.S.A. Robert Burd of Tong, by the Rev. J. E. Auden, M.A. Miscellanea The Library of Wentnor Church The Local Peculiar Courts of Shropshire, Additional Notes Putlog Holes in Bridgnorth Castle Wroxeter Excavations A Note on Eyton, v, 214 and 216 Supplement Calendar of Wills and Administrations proved in the Peculiar Court of St. Mary's, Shrewsbury Volume 46 part 2 Adderley and its Church, by the Rev. F. A. Hibbert, M.A. The Shropshire Pigs of Roman Lead, by G. Clement Whittick, M.A. Mainstone Pewholders, by the late Rev. C. S, James, M.A. Standing Stones on Stapley Hill, by George Mountford Volume 47 part 1 An Inquisition in Salop, 1655, with an Introduction by the Rev. H. E. Evans

  • Will of Thomas Pygot of Chetwynd, 1546 Lieut.-Col. William Reinking in Shropshire, by the Rev. J. E. Auden, M.A. Deed relating to Hatton, etc. The Manor of Acton Burnell, by the Rev. R. C. Purton, Deeds relating to an Estate called Behind the Walls, Shrewsbury, edited by the Rev. R. C. Purton, M.A. Archaeological Notes: (1) Palstave front Whixall Moss, (2) Stone Implement reported from Buildwas, (3)

    Gold Standard Weight from Uffington, by L. F. Chitty Note on the Water Supply of Uriconium, by R. W. Pocock, D.Sc., F.G.S. Mytton of Halston, by Evelyn H Martin (1919), Revised and Edited by the Rev. J. E Auden, M.A. Miscellanea Members of Parliament for Shrewsbury Local Peculiar Courts of Shropshire Mainstone Pewholders The Abdon Brief A 17th century explanation of the Deficiencies in the Hereford Probate Registry Letter front the Bishop of St, David's concerning the Tithes of Kerry Inquisition post mortem on William Bottrell Volume 47 part 2 A Sixteenth Century Shrewsbury School Inventory, by J. B Oldham, W.A. Stottesdon, by the Rev. R. C. Purton, M.A. A Letter from Bridgnorth to the Duke of Norfolk Some old Shropshire Houses and their Owners: (xiv) Walliborne Hall, (xv) Gibbon's Mansion, by H. E.

    Forrest Mytton of Ralston (continued), by Evelyn H. Martin, revised and edited by the Rev. J. E. Auden, M.A. Wroxeter Excavations, by J. A. Morris Miscellanea An Inquisition in Salop Lieut. Col. Reinking Deeds relating to Lands behind the Walls Behind the Walls Arms, quarterings and impalements of Corfield of Hughley Volume 48 part 1 White Ladies, by J. A. Morris, F.RS.A. Two Old Wills A Rock-Hewn Grave near Bridgnorth, by W. Watkins-Pitchford, M.D. Shropshire Dialect Stories "My Case with the Committee of Salop” (Colonel Mytton), by J. E. Auden, M.A. A Harvest Figure from Yockleton, by L. F. Chitty Corselle and Siwaldston The Book Trade in Shropshire, by Llewellyn C. Lloyd Burwarton Old Church, by J. A. Morris, F.R.S.A. Volume 48 part 2 The Book Trade in Shropshire (continued), by Llewellyn C. Lloyd Henley Hall, by H. T. Weyman, F.S.A. Deeds relating to lands Behind the Walls, Shrewsbury, by Michael Peele Shrewsbury Burgesses, 16th-17th centuries Foundation Charter of Shrewsbury School Excavation at Lloyds Bank, Shrewsbury, by H. E. Forrest Obituary The Rev. W. D. G. Fletcher, M.A., F.S.A. Preb. W. G. Clark-Maxwell, M.A., F.S.A. Prof. E. W. White, C.B.E., M.B. Miscellanea: Thomas Ashton, Headmaster of Shrewsbury School

  • White Ladies Plaish Volume 49 part 1 Some Erroneus Traditions, by the Rev. J. E. Auden, The `Gates' of Oakengates, by the Rev. J. E. Gordon Cartlidge, F.R.Hist.S Shrewsbury and Ship-money, by H. Beaumont, M.A. Sutton upon Tern The Old Moat Farm (Stapleton), by Richard Qakley (Illustrated) Some Old Shropshire Houses and their Owners, (Second Series); xvi Harnage Grange; xvii The Styche;

    xviii Brand Hall, by H. E. Forrest (Illustrated) Ancient Land Tenures, by Lilian H. Hayward Roman Roads Committee: A brief Report, by H. E. Forrest (Hon. Sec.) Shrewsbury Castle, by J. A. Morris, F.RS.A. Inquisition post Mortem: William Grosvenor Volume 49 part 2 Paper-making in Shropshire, by L. C. Lloyd (with 3 plates) Shrewsbury School Manuscripts; Additions Collections for a History of BrIdgnorth, by William Hardwicke ; annotated by W. Watkins-Pitchford, M.D.

    Ludford, by H. T. Weyman, F.S.A. The Castle at Bishop's Castle, by F, Lavender Bounds of Church Stretton Shakespeare's Verses in Tong Church, by Mrs. Esdaile (with 3 Plates) Miscellanea: Bronze Dagger found on Caradoc, by L, F. Chitty (Illustrated) Paper-making in Shropshire ; Additional Notes Volume 50 part 1 Shrewsbury Drapers' Apprentices, by Michael Peele Ancient Deed relating to Sugden The Shropshire Ploughmen of Domesday Book, by W. J. Slack Le Goldhord, Uppington The Popes of Wolstaston, by Rev. R. C. Purton The Anglo-Irish Troops in Shropshire, by Rev. J. E. Auden Arthur, Lord Capel, by H. Beaumont The Baldwin Memorial Brass in Munslow Church, by W. Watkins-Pitchford (with 2 Plates) Volume 50 part 2 Condover Extents, 1283-1580, by W. J. Slack Bronze Implements and other Objects from Shropshire in the National Museum of Wales, by Lily F.

    Chitty, F.S.A. Note on a Bone Implement from the Ellesmere Region, by Lily F. Chitty, F.S.A. A Shrewsbury Certificate under the Test Act, communicated by Rev. P. D. G. Binnall Richard Baxter and Apley, Longford and Lilleshall, by Rev. J. E. Auden, M.A. Deed relating to the Moors, Eardington, and property in Bridgnorth, 1639 Sir Jerome Zankey for Sankey) of Balderton Hall, co. Salop, and of Coolmore, co. Tipperary, by Rev. J.

    E. Auden, M.A. Bailiffs' Accounts for the Manor of Church Stretton, 1622-1636 Grant by Aeldred and Aedelflaed to Wenlock Abbey of land at Easthope and Patton, transcribed and

    translated by R. A. Buddicom Obituary John Arthur Morris List of Printed Registers

  • Volume 51 part 1 Walliborne, by Rev. R. C. Purton, M.A. The Sheet, Ludford Inquisition post-mortem on the death of George Smith, of Morville Deed relating to Willey Events in Shropshire at the commencement of the Great Civil War, by H. Beaumont, M.A. Thomas Coke, the Informer, by Rev. J. E. Auden, M.A. A Survey of Lands belonging to the Hoptons in or near Church Stretton, 1597 Shrewsbury School Library, by J. B. Oldham, M.A. Volume 51 part 2 Annals of a Yeoman Family, by Rev. P. B. G. Binnell, F.S.A. Woore, by Rev. R. C. Purton, M.A. The Will of Sir Rowland Heyward Bronze Age Cist Burial found at Eyton, near Alberbury, by Lily F. Chitty, F.S.A. (Illustrated) Two Bronze Palstaves from Llandrinio, by Lily F. Chitty, F.S.A. (Illustrated) Old Shrewsbury and the Car-Park Area, by the late J. A, Morris, F.S.A. The Castle at Bishop's Castle, by F. Lavender (with a Plan) Obituary Herbert Edward Forrest Volume 52 part 1 A Hand List of English Enclosure Acts and Awards, by W. E. Tate, F.R.Hist.S. Kingsland and its Associations, by the Rev. J. E. Auden, M.A. The Blakeway Family ; edited by H. M. Auden, F.R.Hist.S. Shrewsbury Mayors' Accounts of the Interregnum and Commonwealth, by H. Beaumont, M.A. Deeds Relating to the Council House, Shrewsbury Wills Proved in the Manorial Court of Ruyton-of-the-Eleven-Towns, 1665-1709 A Quern-Stone of Uncommon Type, by W. Watkins-Pitchford, M.D., LL.D. (with two Plates) An Old Horseshoe, by W. Watkins-Pitchford, M.D., LL.D. (with two Plates) A Perforated Stone Implement from Dudmaston, near Bridgnorth, by W. Watkins-Pitchford, M.D., LL.D.

    (with two Plates) A Perforated Stone Implement from Dudmaston : Supplementary Note, by Lily F. Chitty, F.S.A.

    (illustrated) Volume 52 part 2 The Battle of Shrewsbury : A Military Reconstruction, by Lieut.-Col. A. H. Burne, D.S.O. A Visit to Bridgnorth, by W. Watkins-Pitchford, M.D., LL.D. (with nine Plates) The Plowden Interest in Oxfordshire, by Laura Lucie Norsworthy Frodesley, by H. M. Auden, F.R.Hist.S. (illustrated) Armorial Bearings in the Former Church and Old Hall of Frodesley, by Lilian H. Hayward (with two Plates) Medieval Deeds of the Shrewsbury Drapers' Company, by Michael Peele (with one Plate) Shrewsbury Drapers' Inventories, by Michael Peele Obituaries Mr E. W. Bowcock, F.R.G.S. Dr. Maurice Gepp Mr. J. Blanchard, L.R.I.B.A. Miscellanea: Mound at Little Ness, Shropshire, by Lily F. Chitty Excavations on the Watling Street

  • Volume 53 part 1 Colliers' Wages in Shropshire, 1830-1850, by H. Scott, M.A. An Industrial Relic, by L. C. Lloyd, F.L.S. Flint Implements Recently Found in Shropshire, South of the Severn, by Lily F. Chitty, F.S.A. Caradoc's Last Battlefield, by Lieut.-Col. A. H. Burne, D.S.O. The Agatha Tile in the .Abbey Church, Shrewsbury, by the late the Right Rev. Bishop Moriarty First Impressions of the Acton Burnell Missal], by the late the Right Rev. Bishop Moriarty An Early House at Upper Millichope, by M. E. Wood, M.A., F.S.A., with introductory note by J. Salmon,

    B.A., F.S.A. A Shrewsbury Subsidy Roll, 1446-46, edited by J. L. Hobbs, F.L.A. Shrewsbury Borough Seals, by Michael Peele "Henry Tudor" House, Shrewsbury, by A. W. Ward Bishop's Castle Burgesses, by F. Lavender Interim Notes on (A) Subsidiary Castle Sites West of Shrewsbury, (B) Three Unrecognised Castle Sites in

    North Shropshire, by Lily F. Chitty, F.S.A. Deeds Relating to Oswestry, abstracted by Rev. R. C. Purton, M.A. John FitzAlan I, by the late Laura Lucie Norsworthy, F.R.Hist.S. A Sixteenth Century Poisoning Case Obituary Mrs Laura Lucie Norsworthy The Right Rev. Ambrose Moriarty Volume 53 part 2 The Excise Numbers of Paper-mills in Shropshire, by Alfred H. Shorter, M.A., F.S.A., F.R.G.S. Paper-making in Shropshire : Supplementary Notes, by L. C. Lloyd, F.L.S. Three Funeral Monuments, by W. Watkins-Pitchford, M.D., F.R.C.S. Deeds Relating to Muckley in Acton Round Inventory of the Goods and Chattels of Thomas Owen of Condover, 1599 A Manor Court at Stanton Lacy in 1609, abstracted by REV. R. C. Purton, M.A. Three Borough Rentals of Shrewsbury, 1521, 1580 and 1610, edited by J. L. Hobbs, F.R.Hist.S., F.L.A. The Old Bed of the River Severn at Shrewsbury, by R. E. James The Stone (or East) and the Abbey Bridges, Shrewsbury, in 1765 Charters of the Borough of Bishop's Castle, by F. Lavender Charltons of Apley Castle, Shropshire, by Alice Maude Peel Miscellanea: "The Skirmage (or Skirmish)", near Cold Weston An Ellesmere Seal The 1880 Report of the Royal Commission on Municipal Corporations which were not

    subject to the Municipal Corporations Acts Volume 54 part 1 Four Centuries of Fanning Systems in Shropshire : 1600-1900, by G. E. Fussell The Manor of Okes, in the Parish of Pontesbury, by Rev. R. C. Porton, M.A. Documents Relating to the Manor of Church Stretton Clay Pipes from Sibdon Castle The Lordship of Cause, 1540-1541 Old Deeds of the Shrewsbury Drapers' Company, abstracted by Michael Peele Prehistoric and Other Early Finds in the Borough of Shrewsbury, by Lily F. Chitty, F.S.A. Bronze Palstave found at Pontesbury, Shropshire, by Lily F. Chitty, F.S.A. A Possible Bronze Age Site near Quatford, by J. P. Dodd, F.R.G.S., B.Sc.(Econ.) Memorandum on the Ancient Monuments Acts Obituaries Prebendary A. C. Lawson D.D.; Dr. Wilfred Watkins-Pitchford, M.D., LL.D., F.R.C.S., D.P.H.; A. E. Cooper

  • Volume 54 part 2 The Social Status of the More Prominent Shrewsbury Drapers, 1560-1660, by T. C. Mendenhall The Recorders of Bridgnorth, by J. F. A. Mason, M.A., D.Phil. Armorial Bearings in Atcharn Church, by Lilian H. Hayward Notes on Some Stone Tools and Medieval Pottery from Skyborry, near Knighton, by W. A. Cummins Deeds Relating to Larden Bronze Axe Hoard from Preston-on-the-Weald Moors, Shropshire, by Lily F. Chitty, F.S.A. The Wealdmoors, 1560-1660, by Mary C. Hill, M.A. The Lordship of Cause, 1640-1541 Miscellanea: Shrewsbury in New England Wroxeter Summer School in Archaeology Volume 55 part 1 The State of Agriculture in Shropshire, 1776-1825, by J. Phillip Dodd, M.Sc.(Econ.), F.R.G.S. Glazeley, by Rev. R. C. Purton Acton Burnell Roman Road and Bridge Site, by Evelyn Sladdin Mason Marks, with Special Reference to those found in Shropshire Buildings, by Rev. E. P. Comber Lily Crucifix in Tong Church, by. John Salmon, B.A., F.S.A. Armorial Bearings in Shropshire Churches, by Lilian H. Hayward Diverted Road in Walcot Park, by F. Lavender The Death of Sir John Wolryche, 1723, by J. F. A. Mason The Centenary of Eyton's " Antiquities of Shropshire," by J. F. A. Mason, M.A., D.Phil. Obituaries: Dr F. W. Pember,D.C.L. W. J. Slack Volume 55 part 2 Obituary Miss H. M. Auden, F.R.Hist.S.; C. S. Woollam Edric of Bayston, by J. F. A. Mason, M.A., D.Phil. An Investigation of an Earthwork at Linley Hill, More, by Graham Webster, MA., F.S.A. A Stone Coffin from Chetton, Shropshire, by P. W. Gathercole, B.A. Armorial Bearings in Shropshire Churches, by Lilian H. Hayward Shropshire Parish Register Society, List of Parish Registers, printed and unprinted, in the Shrewsbury Borough Library Early Seventeenth Century Wages Assessments for the Borough of Shrewsbury, by Michael Reed, B.A. The Hon. and Rev. Richard Hill of Hawkstone, 1655-1727, by E. M. Jancey, M.A. Some Eighteenth Century Shropshire Potteries, by Sir Edward Benthall, K.C.S.I. Miscellanea: Report on Old Tramway at Donnington Wood, by W. Howard Williams The Coach Road from London to Montgomery in South-West Salop, by F. Lavender A French Refugee at Ludlow in 1800, by D. E. Rhodes Volume 56 part 1 Obituary: Very Rev. D. H. S. Cranage The Medieval Defences of Shrewsbury, by C. A. Ralegh Radford, M.A. Moated Enclosure at Watling Street Grange, Oakengates, Emergency Excavations, 1958, by P. A.

    Barker. A Brief History of the Site, by J. A. Paggett A Note on Excavations at the Roman Villa at Lea Cross during 1956-57, by A. W. J. Houghton Three Anglo-Saxon Boundaries, by H. P. R. Finberg, M.A., D.LITT., F.S.A. An Eighteenth Century Steward and his Work, by E. M. Jancey, M.A. Castle Foregate Flax Mill, Shrewsbury (1797-1886), by W. G. Rimier The Shropshire Iron Industry, by R. A. Mott, D.Sc., F.R.I.C., F.Inst.F. Coalbrookdale: the Early Years, by R. A. MoTT, D.Sc., F.R.I.C., F.Inst.F.

  • Volume 56 part 2 Obituary The Rev. R. C. Purton Iron and Steel Bridges in Shropshire, 1788-1901, by M. C. Hill, M.A., F.R.Hist.S. Stone Axe found near Alveley, S.E. Shropshire, by J. Phillip Dodd, M.Sc., M.A., F.R.G.S. Excavations on Nesscliff Hill, by C. R. Hume and G. W. Jones The Wroxeter Aqueduct, by Graham Webster and David Hollingsworth A Note on the Roman Coin Hoard found at Hordley Grange, by Graham Webster The Austin Friary of Woodhouse, by Rev. L. C. Perfect Excavations at Caynham Camp, near. Ludlow, First Interim Report, by Peter S. Gelling "Tir-y-Coed"—A Fifteenth Century Farmhouse in the Parish of Melverley, Salop, by Stanley R. Jones The Excavation of an Enclosure at Uppington, Salop, by P. A. Barker Medieval Pottery from Sites in Shropshire: I, by P. A. Barker The Petition of the Town of Shrewsbury of 3 June, 1572, ed. by L. Kennedy-Skipton and M. T. Hill The Bye-Laws of Whitchurch in 1636, by Eric Hopkins, M.A. The Early Ironworks of North-West Shropshire, by Ifor Edwards Volume 56 part 3 The Eardington Bronze Hoard, by J. Phillip Dodd, M.Sc., M.A. Excavations at Caynham Camp, near Ludlow, Second Interim Report, by Peter S. Gelling The Roman Road and other Roman Remains at Whitchurch, Shropshire, by A. W. J. Houghton, M.B.,

    M.R.C.P. The Roman Road from Greensforge through the Central Welsh March, by A. W. J. Houghton, M.B.,

    M.R.C.P. The Officers and Clerks of the Norman Earls of Shropshire, by J. F. A. Mason, M.A., D.Phil. Medieval Pottery from Sites in Shropshire: II, by P. A. Barker William Burley of Broncroft : Speaker for the Commons in 1437 and 1445-6, by J. S. Roskell, M.A.,

    D.Phil. Some Letters of William Fowler, Steward of Shrewsbury, 1593-1595, by J. L. Hobbs, F.L.A., F.R.Hist.S. Government and Politics in Ludlow, 1590-1642, by Henry Williams The Hayes, Oswestry, by L. C. Lloyd The Bridgewater Estates in North Shropshire during the Civil War, by Eric Hopkins, M.A. Eighteenth Century Highway Administration in an Area of South Shropshire, by L. C. Lloyd Eighteenth Century Poor Law Administration in the Parish of Oswestry, by P. Goodman, MA., B.Litt. Miscellanea: Sutton Farm, West Felton, by Dorothy Charlesworth Vessels and Armour at Woodhouse, West Felton, by T. W. Rogers Hen Domen, Montgomery, by P. A. Barker Quatford, Motte and Bailey Castle, by P. A. Barker Mardol Head, Shrewsbury, by P. A. Barker Harlescott Grange Moated Site, Shrewsbury, by P. A. Barker A Collection of Pottery, etc., found in Shropshire, by M. Peele Volume 57 part 1 A Roman Tilery and Brickfield at Ismore Coppice, Wroxeter, by A. W. J. Houghton, M.B. (Lond.),

    M.R.C.P. The Site of Stanchester, by J. Wood. A Common Market in the 17th Century, Ed. M.C.Hill Ruyton-XI-Towns Manorial Court, Ed. J. L. Hobbs. John Milton's Shrewsbury Connections, by J. L. Hobbs, F.L.A., F.R.Hist.S A Fragment of a Cistercian Breviary in the Borough Library, Shrewsbury, by Barbara C. Raw The Norman Castle at Quatford, by J. F. A. Mason, M.A., D.Phil, and P. A. Barker A Pottery Sequence from Brockhurst Castle, by P. A. Barker Obituary: J. B. Oldham, M.A, F.S.A.

  • Volume 57 part 2 Excavations at Caynham Camp, near Ludlow. Final Report, by Peter S. Gelling A Roman Pottery Factory near Wroxeter, Salop, by A. W. J. Houghton, M.B., M.R.C.P. Viroconium : A Study of Problems, by Graham Webster and Brian Stanley Roman Finds from Redhill, near Oakengates, by Graham Webster An Early Twelfth Century Account of the Translation of St Milburga, by Angela J. M. Edwards The Norman Earls of Shrewsbury: Three Notes, by J. F. A. Mason, M.A., D.Phil. A Document concerning the Parliamentary Election at Shrewsbury in 1478, by K. N. Houghton, M.A. An Incident of the Reformation in Shropshire, by J. Fines Obituaries: Mr E. M. Rutter; Miss E. M. Mackenzie; Mr Thomas William Rogers Volume 57 part 3 Notes on a Stone Pestle found in the River Severn below Ford, West Shropshire, by Lily F. Chitty,

    O.B.E., Hon. M.A. (Wales), F.S.A. A Roman Road from Ashton, North Herefordshire, to Marshbrook, Salop, by A. W. J. Houghton, M.B.,

    M.R.C.P.E. Excavation of a Motte and Bailey at Ryton, Shifnal, by John W. G. Snape Excavation of the Moated Site at Shifnal, Shropshire, 1962, by P. A. Barker, F.S.A. Pontesbury Castle Mound, Emergency Excavations, 1961, by P. A. Barker, F.S.A. William Langland, by John Corbett, B.A. Henry Vynar, Lord of Condover (1561-1584), by Brig. G. A. Viner, O.B.E. Chandeliers in Shropshire Churches, by Robert Sherlock Miscellanea: Medieval Pottery from Abbey Foregate, Shrewsbury, by P. A. Barker An Aquamanile from the Site of Barclays Bank, Pride Hill, Shrewsbury, by P. A. Barker Notes on the Cross Family, by T. Gerald Cross; Obituaries: Mrs Lilian H. Hayward; John Leslie Hobbs; Tom Hamar of Clun Volume 58 part 1 Excavation at the Roman Fort at Walltown Farm, Shropshire, 1960-1, by C. Ian Walker A Water Cistern at Viroconivm (Wroxeter), by A. W. J. Houghton, F.S.A., M.B., M.R.C.P. A Medieval Settlement at Detton Hall, Shropshire, by S. C. Stanford, B.A., F.S.A. The Clee Forest—A study in Common Rights, by R. T. Rowley, B.A. Terciars on the Estates of Wenlock Priory, by W. F. Mumford, M.A. Robert ap Reynold of Oswestry, a Friend of Thomas Cromwell, by P. T. J. Morgan, M.A., D.Phil. Charlcotte Furnace, by N. Mutton, A.C.I.S. Volume 58 part 2 The Pottery from Caynham Camp, near Ludlow, by P. S. Gelling and D. P. S. Peacock A Bronze Looped Palstave from New House Farm, Wolverley, near Wem, Shropshire, by Lily F. Chitty,

    O.B.E., M.A., F.S.A. Supplementary note on a Bronze Looped Palstave from Bryn Shop, Bettws-y- Crwyn, S. W. Shropshire,

    by Lily F. Chitty, O.B.E., M,A,, F.S.A. A Section across Watling St. at Overley Hill, near Wellington, by R. A. Meeson Road Widening at Wroxeter, 1964, by P. A. Barker, M.A., F.S.A. The Deserted Medieval hamlet of Braggington, by P. A. Barker, MA., F.S.A. The White House, Aston Munslow, by J. W. Tonkin, B.A The Coalbrookdale Story: Facts and Fantasies, by R. A. Mott, D. Sc., F.R.I.C., F. Inst. F. Sir Richard Hill: Shropshire Evangelist, by Julian R. Mcquiston The Memoir of William Smith, by B. S. Trinder, B.A. Obituary: Mr. L. C. Lloyd

  • Volume 58 part 3 The Roman Marching Camp at Bromfield (Salop), by S. C. Stanford Viroconium: A Study of the Defences from Aerial Reconnaissance, by Arnold Baker Wynnstay, Wiley and Wenlock, 1780-1832. A Study in local political history by J. D. Nichol, B.A. The Forges at Eardington and Hampton Loade, by Norman Mutton, B.Sc.(Econ.), A.C.I.S. A Description of Coalbrookdale in 1801, by B. S. Trinder, B.A. Review: The Victoria History of Shropshire, vol. viii. ed. A. T. Gaydon, Addenda Volume 59 part 1 Stone Axe (Sh 49/c) from Weston Park, near Shifnal, by Lily F. Chitty A Street Section at Wroxeter in 1962, by Graham Webster and Charles Daniels Aerial Reconnaissance over Viroconium and Military Sites in the Area in 1969, by Arnold Baker 2a St. Alkmund's Place - a late Saxon and Medieval Site in Shrewsbury, by G. S. G. Toms The Provosts of Shrewsbury, 1200-1300, by Una Rees Notes on Early Baptists at the Hurst Farm, Stoke upon Tern, by Thomas W. Hardy .. Social and Political Stability in 18th Century Provincial Life : A Study of the Career of John Ashby of

    Shrewsbury, by J. D. Nichol.. Accidental Death and Suicide in Shropshire, 1780-1809, by P. E. H. Hair Volume 59 part 2 Domesday Society in Shropshire, by T.A. Gwynne The Ludlow Poll-Tax Return of 1667, by M.A. Faraday The Burial Place of Abraham Darby I, by Winifred E. Hutton The Diary of a Country Gentleman: Sir Baldwin Leighton, Bt (1805-71), by Vincent J. Walsh Farmers’ Revolt: The North Shropshire By-Election of 1876, by Julian R. McQuiston Obituary: Alexander Thomas Gaydon (1929-74) Reviews: The Shropshire Landscape by Trevor Rowley

    Shropshire, A Shell Guide by Michael Moulder Framed Buildings of England by R.T. Mason

    Volume 59 part 3 A Collection of Flint Artifacts from the South-East Shropshire Region, by Alan Saville Archaeological Discoveries on the East Shropshire Border, by G.S.G. Toms The last mile of Watling Street east of Wroxeter, by A.W.J. Houghton Early Shrewsbury: an Archaeological Definition in 1975, by M.O.H. Carver The Mediaeval Parts of Plowden Hall, by Madge Moran The Parliamentary Election for Shrewsbury, 1604, by J.K.Gruenfelder Oswestry Town Walls, by W. Day Temporary Roman Camp at Perry Farm, Whittington, by W. Day Miscellanea: Personal Observations at and near Wroxeter, by A.W.J. Houghton The Old River Bed at Shrewsbury, by D.J. Pannett The Site of Rutunium, by John Corbet and Geoffrey Toms Excavations on the site of the Dominican Friary, Shrewsbury in 1973, by Michael Douglas Pitman Borough of Much Wenlock: early court documents, by W.F. Mumford Reviews: The Cartulary of Shrewsbury Abbey, edited by Una Rees

    A Bibliography of English History to 1485, edited by E. B. Graves The Shropshire Lead Mines, by F. Brook and M. Allbutt Abstract of the [Shropshire] Quarter Sessions Rolls 1820-1830, edited by Mary C. Hill

    Index to volume 59

  • Volume 60 An Enclosure at Colstey Bank, Clun, by Ian Burrow Excavations at Viroconium in Insula 9, 1952-3, by Kathleen M. Kenyon; with specialist reports by D. B.

    Harden, B. R. Hartley, Dr Grace Simpson, C. H. V. Sutherland, Graham Webster, Cecil Western and R. P. Wright

    Excavations at Woolstaston Motte-and-Bailey Castle 1965, by Trevor Rowley Peace-keeping without Frankpledge: Shropshire’s claims in 1307, by D. C. Cox Monks of Wenlock Priory, by W. F. Mumford The Shropshire Portion of the Chester-Cardiff Road in 1675, by W. Day Reviews: History on the Ground, by A. J. Bird

    Wenlock in the Middle Ages, W. F. Mumford Ludlow Houses and their Residents, by M. E. Speight and D. J. Lloyd The Corner Shop: The History of Bodenhams [Ludlow] from the Middle Ages, by David Lloyd and Madge Moran

    Obituaries: Kathleen Mary Kenyon (1906-78) Lily Frances Chitty (1893-1979)

    Volume 61 Two Town Houses in Medieval Shrewsbury edited by M. O. H. Carver Papers on Pride Hill Chambers by M.O.H. Carver, G.S.G. Toms, W.E. Jenks, P.J. Clarke, E.L. Morris, Ruth Taylor, R.E. James, A.M. Jenkinson, B. Noddle and D. Bramwell Papers on Rigg’s Hall by N.J. Baker, D. Tanner, D. Knight, M. Moran, A. Snell, C. Moffett, S. Colledge and A. Locker Volume 62 The Demesne and the Waste: a study of medieval inclosure on the manor of High Ercall, 1086-1399, by Mary C. Hill Volume 63 Disputes in the Weald Moors in the late 16th and early 17th Centuries, by P. R. Edwards The Old House Farm, Loppington, by Carole Ryan and Madge Moran Whatmore Hamlet and the Family of Whatmore, by Geoffrey Whatmore The 91st (Shropshire Volunteers) Regiment of Foot, by J. Robert Williams The Inclosure of Sowdley Wood, Clun, 1839, by D.G. Bayliss Reviews: A History of Shropshire Volume III ed. G.C. Baugh (Victoria History of the Counties of

    England) Country Grammar School: A History of Ludlow Grammar School through Eight Centuries against its Local Background, by David J. Lloyd A Shropshire Landowner: The Diary of Henry Oakeley, 1859-1871, edited by Gerald Rhodes

    Volume 64 Bromfield Excavations – From Neolithic to Saxon Times, by S. C. Stanford Ebury Hill Camp – Excavations 1977, by S. C. Stanford Whitley Chapel and Weir Meadow – A Romano-British site near Shrewsbury, by G. Toms The Enigmatic Norman Chancel of the Church of St James, Stirchley, by B. Meeson Two 13th Century Steelyard Weights from Shropshire, by Y. J. E. Staelens, R. Brownsword and E. E. H.

    Pitt The Severn Navigation at Dowles, by B. Trinder The Shrewsbury Lay Subsidy of 1525, by W. A. Champion Archaeological Excavations and Standing Buildings Survey at 36/37 The Wharfage, Ironbridge, by J. C. Temple The Old Shop, Somerwood, by M. Moran The Shropshire Salt Industry, by J. M. B. Stamper

  • Industrial and Domestic Violence in Shropshire in the 1820s, by P. E. H. Hair A Gazetteer of Passenger Railway Stations in Shropshire, by R. K. Morriss Notes: A Copper Alloy Casting Jet from Wroxeter in the Collections of Rowley’s House Museum,

    Shrewsbury, by D. Benison and J. P. Northover A Fragment of Pre-Norman Sculpture from the River Morda, near Oswestry, by M. D. Watson Burials from Barrow Street, Much Wenlock, by Y. J. E. Staelens Human Remains from the Site of the St Austin’s Friary, Shrewsbury, by B. Bennison Harnage Slates and other Roofing Materials in Shrewsbury and Neighbourhood in the Late Medieval and Early modern Period, by J. B. Lawson John Sandford of Shrewsbury and Pitchford, Carpenter, Builder of Pitchford Hall, 1549, by J. B. Lawson “Tunnel Mad” Reynolds and the Wrockwardine Wood “Navigable Level”, by P. A. Stamper

    Volume 65 Deserted Settlements in Shropshire Gazetteer of Moated Sites In Shropshire, by M.D. Watson Shackerley Mound: a Medieval Moated Site and its Bridge, by D.D. Andrews The Moated Site and Deserted Village in the Manor of Cleeton, by P.B. Hewitt Leebotwood: a Migrated Medieval Settlement, by M.D. Watson Cleeton Court, Cleeton St Mary, by M. Moran Catherton Cottage, Hopton Wafers, by M. Moran Witchcott, Stanton Lacy, by C. Ryan Beslow Hall: the Demolition of a Rival to Pitchford, by E. Mercer and P.A. Stamper Berwick Maviston and Attingham Park, by P. Everson and P.A. Stamper Willey’s Parks: Attitudes, Aspirations, and Exploitation, by P.A. Stamper Volume 66 Archaeological Investigations at the Anglo-Saxon Church of St Andrew, Wroxeter, 1985-6, by C. Moffett The Chancel of St Andrew’s Church, Quatt, by M. D. Watson The Romanesque West Front at the Church of the Holy Trinity, Much Wenlock, by D. B. Gallagher and H.

    Woods Burwarton Old Church, by R. Shoesmith The River Severn at Wroxeter, by D. Pannett Two Unpublished Charters of King Stephen for Wenlock Priory, by D. C. Cox The Customs of Much Wenlock, 1247, by D. C. Cox The Talbot Chambers Site, Market Street, Shrewsbury, by N. J. Baker et al. A Late-13th Century Rental of Tenements in Shrewsbury, by U. Rees The Civil War Roushill Wall, Shrewsbury, by T. Brown and M. D. Watson Plaish Hall and Early Brickwork in Shropshire, by E. Mercer and P. A. Stamper Tern Hall and the Hill Family: 1700-75, by B. Coulton Early Victorian Church Restoration in Shropshire: Cound 1841-3, by D. George “Excavating Ancient Camps by General Pitt-Rivers”, by M. D. Watson Notes: A Stone Battle-Axe from Over’s Farm, near Bridgnorth, by M. D. Watson

    The Polychrome Glass Beads from Rowley’s House Museum, Shrewsbury, by G. Webster

    Reviews: The Cartulary of Haughmond Abbey, ed. U. Rees Nonconformist Chapels and Meeting-houses: Shropshire and Staffordshire, by J.V. Cox A History of Shropshire, Volume XI: Telford, ed. G.C. Baugh Volume 67 Prehistory in Lowland Shropshire, edited by M. O. H. Carver A Strategy for Lowland Shropshire, by M. O. H. Carver Ring-Ditches of the Upper Severn Valley, by M. D. Watson Excavations on Sharpstones Hill near Shrewsbury, 1965-71, by P. A. Barker, R. Haldon and W. E. Jenks A Note on the Berth, by E. L. Morris and the late P. S. Gelling Excavations at Castle Farm, Shifnal, 1980, by A. Roe

  • Excavations at Rock Green, Ludlow, 1975, by M. O. H. Carver and M. R. Hummler An Excavation at Wall Camp, Kynnersley, by D. Bond Report on the Prehistoric Cermaics found at Wall Camp, Kynnersley, by E. L. Morris Volume 68 Further Work on Pride Hill, by N. J. Baker, J. B. Lawson, R. Maxwell and J. T. Smith Fieldwork and Finds at Egerton, Wheathill, by P. Everson and R. Roberts Two Early Timber-framed Hall-houses in Shropshire, by M. Moran Clubmen in South West Shropshire 1644-45, by C. D. Gilbert The Bridgnorth Food Riots of 1693-94, by M. D. G. Wanklyn Notes: Two Prehistoric Bronze Weapons from Shropshire, by J. A. Bell and M. D. Watson

    A Possible Roman Villa at Hatton, in Eaton-under-Heywood, by P. Stamper A Previously unnoticed Leper Hospital at Aston, near Oswestry, by P. Stamper Excavation of an Undated Earthwork at Owlbury, by C. J. Arnold Trial Excavations in a Cellar of St Mary’s Cottage, St Mary’s Place, Shrewsbury, by H. R. Hannaford Bryan Fausett the Antiquary, by P. Stamper The Eliza: a Nineteenth century Trow at Shrewsbury, by R. A. Preston

    Reviews: Timber Castles by R. Higham and P. Barker

    The Victoria History of Shropshire Volume IV, Agriculture, edited by G. C. Baugh

    Volume 69 Excavations in the Wroxeter hinterland 1988-1990: The archaeology of the Shrewsbury by pass, by Peter Ellis, Jane Evans, Hugh Hannaford, Gwilym Hughes and Alex Jones et al. Richard Barnfield 1574-?1625, by Andrew Worrall Notes: Two Roman javelin heads from the Wrekin hillfort, Shropshire, by Roger H. White and

    Graham Webster A massive (Donside) terret found near Wroxeter, Shropshire, by Roger H. White Some thoughts on the “cattle plague” 1865-7 and its effect in northeast Shropshire, by Peter B. Hewitt

    Volume 70 Excavations at Meole Brace 1990 and at Bromfield 1981-1991:- Part 1. A ring ditch and Neolithic pit

    complex at Meole Brace, Shrewsbury, by Gwilym Hughes and Anne Woodward et al. - Part 2 Excavations at Bromfield, Shropshire 1981-1991 by Gwilym Hughes, Peter Leach and S. C.

    Stanford et al. - Part 3 A Cornovian farm and Saxon cemetery at Bromfield, Shropshire, by S. C. Stanford et al. - Part 4 The historical context of the inhumation cemetery at Bromfield, Shropshire, by Dawn M. Hadley - Part 5 Conclusions. Reclaiming the wilderness: the pre-history of lowland Shropshire, by Simon

    Buteux and Gwilym Hughes Payn FitzJohn and Ludlow castle by Bruce Coplestone-Crow Moreton Corbet castle: a house and its family, by Barbara Coulton The end of Preen priory, by G. C. Baugh High Grosvenor, Claverley, Shropshire, by Madge Moran Notes: A new flint axe from Shropshire, by Philip Watson

    Burials from Barrow Street, Much Wenlock, Shropshire : further evidence, by Yvette Staelens The origins of the name of Willow Street, Oswestry , by John Pryce-Jones

    Report: Archaeology in Shrewsbury Museum Service 1994 by Mike Stokes Reviews: The Military Institutions on the Welsh Marches: Shropshire, AD1066-1300, by F. Suppe

  • The Wealth of Shrewsbury in the early fourteenth century: six local Subsidy Rolls 1297-1322: text and commentary, by D. and R. Cromarty The Great Reform Bill in the boroughs: English electoral behaviour1818-41, by J. A. Phillips Shrewsbury – a Pictorial History, by A. M. Carr Shrewsbury in Old Photographs, by D. Trumper

    Volume 71 Three Bog Bodies from Whixall Moss, Shropshire, by R. C. Turner and S. Penney Excavations on Wat’s Dyke at Pentre Wern, Shropshire 1984, by J. Cane The Perambulation of Shropshire, 1298, by Don C. Skemer Excavations at Bridgnorth Franciscan Friary, 1989, by I. M. Ferris et al. The Golden Age of Church Architecture in Shropshire [late 18th and early 19th centuries], by T. Friedman Glebe Terriers and Local History: Shifnal 1612-1853, by S. Watts Notes: A Stone Axe-hammer from Bearstone, Shropshire, by M. D. Watson

    A Salvage Recording at the Bull Inn, Butcher Row, Shrewsbury, by M. D. Watson

    Reports: Archaeological Investigations in Shropshire in 1944/5: a survey of archaeological work undertaken in the county reported to the Archaeological Service, Shropshire County Council, compiled by H. R. Hannaford Archaeology in the Museums Service, by M. Stokes

    Reviews: Shrewsbury Museums Service Occasional Paper No. 1: The Coinage of Wroxeter in the

    Rowley’s House Museum, Shrewsbury, by T. Wilson and S. Ireland Coin Sylloge of the British Isles 44: The Norweb Collection. Tokens of the British Isles 1575-1750, Part IV Norfolk to Somerset, by R. H. Thompson and M. J. Dickinson Britain in Old Photographs: Shrewsbury: a second selection, by D. Trumper Telford: A Pictorial History, by G. Evans and R. Bubloe The Corfields, a history of the Corfields from 1180 to the present day, by J. J. Corfield

    Volume 72 Summary of fieldwork carried out by the Wroxeter Hinterland Project 1994-7, by Roger White Great Oxenbold, Monkhopton, Shropshire, by Madge Moran The Palmers’ gild window, St Lawrence’s church, Ludlow: a study of the construction of gild identity in

    medieval stained glass, by Christian Liddy Lloyds Engine House, Ironbridge, by Richard Hayman “Simplicity without meanness, commodiousness without extravagance”: the nonconformist chapels and

    meeting houses of Shrewsbury in the nineteenth century, by Janice V. Cox Notes: John Bishton and Archdeacon Joseph Plymley in the writings of William Marshall, by Peter

    Hewitt A further report on the 1867 “bog body” from Whixall Moss, by Robert Cromarty

    Reports: Archaeology in the Shrewsbury Museums Service, by Mike Stokes

    Archaeological investigation in Shropshire 1995-6: a summary of the archaeological work undertaken in the county reported by the Archaeological Service, Shropshire County Council, compiled by Hugh R. Hannaford

    Reviews: Historic parks and gardens of Shropshire, by Paul Stamper

    The Industrial Archaeology of Shropshire, by Barrie Trinder Shropshire from the Air: An English County at Work, by M. D. Watson and Chris Musson Ludlow (The Archive Photo Series), by David Lloyd

  • Volume 73 An excavation on Wat's Dyke at Mile Oak, Oswestry, by H R Hannaford A microcosm of civil war: the Border shires 1216, by K Mann The Shrewsbury town riot of 1303, by D & R Cromarty Ludlow parish church and its clergy at the Reformation, by P Klein The fourth Shropshire Presbyterian classic 1647-62, by B Coulton A gentry estate over seven centuries: Houghton, Shifnal, by S Watts 'A Nabob worth half a million': Clive and Shropshire politics, 1754-74, by J F A Mason Notes: A stone axe from near Wrockwardine, by M D Watson A flint assemblage from Newport, by R Middleton & M D Watson A medieval repousse ornament from near Shifnal, by D Symons The misericord at Holdgate parish church, by P Klein Reports: Archaeological Investigations in Shropshire in 1996-7: a summary of archaeological work

    undertaken in the county reported to the Archaeology Service, Shropshire County Council, by H R Hannaford

    Archaeology in the Museum Service 1997-8, by M Stokes Reviews: The cartulary of Lilleshall Abbey, by Una Rees (ed.) A History of Shropshire (2nd edn.), by B Trinder The Goldney family: a Bristol merchant dynasty, Bristol Record Society Vol. XLIX, by P K

    Stembridge Sir Stephen Glynne's church notes for Shropshire, by D C Cox (ed.) Street-names of Oswestry, by J Pryce-Jones Volume 74 Romano-British kilns at Meole Brace (Pulley), Shropshire, by C. J. Evans, W. E. Jenks and R.H. White et

    al. Bridgnorth Town Clerks from 1525-6, by John F. Mason Thomas Hunt of Shrewsbury and Boreatton, by Barbara Coulton Shootrough Farm, Cardington, Shropshire, by Madge Moran Voluntary Education 1660-1833: the Shropshire Evidence, by Robert Hume Notes: Two Flint Arrowheads from Grinshill, Shropshire, by Hugh Hannaford

    A Bronze Age Burnt Mound at Rodway, Telford, by Hugh Hannaford Human and Faunal Remains from the Ogof [Roman Mine] Llanymynech, by Alan Tyler, Andrea Burgess and Jane Richardson The Poppyhead at Ludlow: Boy Bishop and Lord of Misrule?, by Peter Klein The Churchman Monument: Further Evidence of Religious Hermeticicims at Munslow, by Peter Klein

    Reports: Shrewsbury Museums Service Report 1998-9, by Mike Stokes

    Archaeological Investigations in Shropshire 1997-8, by Hugh Hannaford Shropshire Records and Research Report 1999, by Mary McKenzie

    Reviews: Shrewsbury Abbey, a Medieval Monastery, by Nigel Baker

    The Medieval Military Effigies remaining in Shropshire, by Mark Downing The Concise History of Ludlow, by David Lloyd

    Obituary: John Shipley Clarke 1933-2000 Volume 75 Excavations at Atcham, by Hugh Hannaford The water supply in Shrewsbury 1550-1835, by Robert Cromarty John Davies of Middleton, an early Shropshire historian, by John Pryce-Jones John Ashby and the history and environs of the Lion Inn, Shrewsbury, by W. A. Champion

  • Notes: Welsh “ffordd” in English Place-Names, particularly as an indicator of a local Roman road, by Kenneth Edward Jermy and Andrew Breeze Countermarked vintners’ tokens in Ludlow during the 18th century, by Peter Klein

    Reports: Archaeology in Shrewsbury Museums Service 2000, by Michael A. Stokes Shropshire Records and Research Report 2000/1, by Mary McKenzie Archaeological Investigations in Shropshire 1999, by Hugh Hannaford

    Reviews: Shrewsbury: the twentieth century, by D. Trumper The Gale of Life: Two Thousand Years in SW Shropshire: Essays in the History and Archaeology of SW Shropshire, eds J. Leonard, D. Preshous, M. Roberts, J Smyth and C. Train The Industrial Revolution in Shropshire, 3rd edn, by B. Trinder Vernacular buildings of Whitchurch and their occupants, by M. Moran

    Volume 76 Roman Roads and Ford Names in Shropshire, by Susan Laflin Rebel or Fugitive? A Different Perspective on Hotspur’s Conflict with Henry IV in 1403, by Elizabeth

    Schevtchuk Armstrong Oswestry Corporation Records: the bailiffs from medieval times to 1673, by John Pryce-Jones Upper Lake, Westbury, Shropshire, by Madge Moran The Buck’s Head, Church Stretton, by Madge Moran Sir Walter and Sir Richard Leveson of Lilleshall, by Robert Cromarty Notes: The Name of Cound, near Wroxeter, by Andrew Breeze

    The Dedication of St Edith’s, Pulverbatch, by James Lawson Later Medieval Piety in the Prish of Bishop’s Castle, by James Lawson “New Chapell” in the Lordship of Clun. The late medieval chapel of St Salvador at “Hobendred”, by James Lawson The Bridgeman Tomb, St Lawrence’s, Ludlow: the importance of the Heraldic Visitations as Genealogical Source Material, by Janet Verasanso

    Reports: Archaeology in Shrewsbury Museums Service 2000, by Mike Stokes Shropshire Records and Research Report 2002, by Mary McKenzie

    Archaeological Investigations in Shropshire 2000, by Hugh Hannaford Reviews: Shrewsbury Abbey: studies in the archaeology and history of an urban abbey, ed. N. Baker

    The Welsh Border: Archaeology, history, and Landscape, by Trevor Rowley The Lay Subsidy for Shropshire, 1524-7, by Michael A. Faraday West Shropshire Mining Fields, by Ivor J. Brown

    Obituary: Eric Mercer Volume 77 Excavations at Redhill, Lilleshall, Shropshire: An Interim Report, by David Browne and George Boon A Trench dug through Wat's Dyke at Pen y Bryn, Demonstrating its Presence along the Eastern Side of

    the Ceiriog Valley, by Jane Kenney Archaeological Surveys at Shrawardine Castle, by Nigel Jones Fouke Ie Fitz Waryn and Llywelyn ap Gruffydd's Claim to Whittington, by David Stephenson Welsh Lords in Shropshire: Gruffydd ap lorwerth Goch and his Descendants in the 13th Century, by

    David Stephenson Excavations at the Moat House, Eardington, Shropshire, by Ian Halfpenney and Richard Scott Jones New Hall, Eaton-under-Heywood, Shropshire, by Madge Moran John Tomkys and the Catechising of Shrewsbury School, 1580-1640, by James Lawson National alld International Politics and Small Town Gossip in the 1790s, by Sylvia Watts Two Shropshire Women in Wales: The Travel Diaries of Katherine Plymley and Louisa Charlotte Kenyon,

    by Elizabeth Pitman

  • The Ludlow Guardians 1836-1900, by Derek Williams Notes: Catherton in Shropshire and Tregare, Monmouthshire, by Andrew Breeze Castell Coch/Castell Hychoet: A Possible Identification, by David Stephenson Shropshire and Swedenborg: The Significance of Hawkstone Park in the Early Years of the

    Swedenborgian New Church in England, by Cameron Moffett Reports: Shropshire Archives Report for 2003, by Mary McKenzie Archaeological Investigations in Shropshire in 2001, by Hugh Hannaford Archaeological Investigations in Shropshire in 2002, by Hugh Hannaford and Jim Coppin Reviews: Vernacular Buildings of Shropshire, by Madge Moran The Glebe Terriers of Shropshire, parts 1 and 2, edited by Sylvia Watts Shropshire: an Archaeological Guide, by Mike Watson Bridgnorth Grammar and Endowed Schools: Five Hundred Years of Change 1503-2003,

    edited by Maureen Jones Shropshire Historical Documents, A Miscellany, State, Church and Chapel: Boundaries Challenged, Borders Changed, by Charles Styles Volume 78 Wroxeter Archaeology Wroxeter Archaeology: Excavation and Research on the Defences and in the Town, 1968–1992, by Philip Barker and Jeff Perry, Heather Bird, Peter Ellis, Simon Esmonde Cleary, Gill Hey and Peter Brown, John Houghton, Stephen Johnson, Christianne Meckseper, and Roger White. Edited by Peter Ellis and Roger White Volume 79 The Marches Uplands Survey, by James Dinn and Rachel Edwards Three Long Mynd earthworks: excavation and assessment of environmental potential, by James Dinn,

    James Greig, Susan Limbrey, Jeremy Milln and Clare de Rouffignac The Roman road from Pennocrucium (Water Eaton) to Mediolanum (Whitchurch): Its role in the early

    Conquest, by Adrian and Edmund Waddelove Whittington Castle: The Marcher fortress of the Fitz Warin family, by Pete Brown, Peter King and Paul

    Remfry A ‘mushroom’ family: the Flemings of Westhope, Sibdon, and Shadwell, 1650-1775, by Janet Verasanso Emigration from Highley, 1841-1881: A flight from the land?, by Gwyneth Nair and David Poyner Notes: Hush!, Hush!, No Longer, by David Pannett Papers given at the Industrial Archaeology Day School, 26 June 2004 A recent Archaeological survey at Charlecotte and Titterstone Clee, Shropshire, by Roger

    White The Abdon Clee Stone Company, by David Poyner The Shropshire barytes industry, by Michael Shaw A brief introduction to the Shropshire clay tobacco pipe industry, by David Higgins Reports: Shropshire Archives Report for 2004, by Mary McKenzie Archaeological Investigations in Shropshire in 2003, by Sally Thompson Archaeological Investigations in Shropshire in 2004, by Sally Thompson Reviews: Roman Sculpture from the North West Midlands, by Martin Henig English Architecture to 1900: the Shropshire Experience, by Eric Mercer Victorian Ludlow, edited by David Lloyd, Roy Payne, Christopher Train and Derek Williams ‘The Most Extraordinary District in the World’: Ironbridge and Coalbrookdale, edited by

    Barrie Trinder Barges and Bargemen: A Social History of the Upper Severn Navigation, 1660-1900, by Barrie Trinder

    Accounts of the Stewards of the Talbot Household at Blakemere, 1392-1425, edited by Barbara Ross

  • Churches of Shropshire and their Treasures, by John Leonard Church and Chapel in Early Victorian Shropshire: Returns from the 1851 Census of Religious Worship, edited by Clive D. Field Oswestry: Parish, Church and People, by John Pryce-Jones

    Volume 80 A geological review of some early Borderland churches, by John Potter Long-term patterns of land use, evolution of the fieldscape, and hedge composition in the parish of

    Highley, by David Poyner and Edward Mountford Llewelyn the Great, the Shropshire March and the building of Montgomery Castle, by David Stephenson Excavations at 3 New Street, Oswestry, 2002, by Chris Smith Stewards of the Lordship of Oswestry from the thirteenth century to the Acts of Union of 1536 and 1543,

    by John Pryce-Jones West March and Welsh March: a tale of two frontiers in the era of the Reformation, by Margaret Clark Social and economic factors at work in Tudor and Stuart Oswestry: the records of the Corvisers’

    Company of Oswestry, by John Pryce-Jones The early paper mills of Shropshire: an update, by Ralph Collingwood From moss and moorish ground to fertile farmland: the early seventeenth century reclamation of Tetchill

    Moor, by Silvia Watts Cherrington Manor, Newport, Shropshire, by Madge Moran The armorial plaques in the Royal Salop Infirmary, by Janet Verasanso The ice house at Attingham Park, by Simon Roper Methodism in Shropshire in 1851: an overview from the religious census, by Clive Field Notes: Oswestry Corporation Records: the bailiffs from the thirteenth century to 1673 (addenda), by

    John Pryce-Jones The brass chandelier of Prees Parish Church, by Robert Sherlock Reports: Shropshire Archives Reports for 2005 and 2006, by Mary McKenzie Reviews: Ludlow: An Historical Anthology, edited by David Lloyd and Peter Klein

    Ditton Priors: A Settlement of the Brown Clee, by Di Bryan Sheinton, Shropshire: Geology, Landscape, History and Archaeology, by the Sheinton Heritage Group The Buildings of England: Shropshire, by John Newman and Nikolaus Pevsner Diddlebury: the History of a Corvedale Parish, by Martin Speight Beyond the Bridges: the Suburbs of Shrewsbury 1760-1960, by Barrie Trinder ‘Unexampled Labours’: Letters of the Revd. John Fletcher to Leaders in the Evangelical Revival, edited by Peter S Forsaith The Temptation and Downfall of the Vicar of Stanton Lacey, by Peter Klein The Old Rectory, Whitchurch, Shropshire: the Story of a House, its Occupants, and its Secret Wartime Eavesdroppers, by Jean North, Madge Moran and Joan Barton The Hills of Hawkstone and Attingham: the Rise, Shine and Decline of a Shropshire Family, by Joanna Hill Growing Up on a Shropshire Farm, by Diane Jacks An Oswestry Miscellany, by John Pryce-Jones

    Obituaries: Michael Andrew Stokes 1952-2005 John Allan Pagett 1932-2005 Volume 81 Madley Court Madeley Court, Shropshire: from Monastic Grange to Country House Hotel. Excavations 1978-9 and

    1987, by Cameron Moffett with Bob Meeson and with contributions from Ivor Brown, Charlotte Cane, Shelagh Lewis, Peter O’Donoghue, Christopher Phillpotts, Andrew Somerville and Paul Stamper

    An early seventeenth-century maltings at Madeley Court Barn, Telford. Excavations 1991-2, by Fred

    Aldsworth and Michael Worthington with contributions from Kate Clark, Martin Harrison-Putnam and Pamela Spriggs

  • Part I: Madeley Court excavations 1978–9 and 1987 Part II: An Early Seventeenth-Century Maltings at Madeley Court Barn, Telford Volume 82 Refuges of Last Resort – Shropshire Workhouses Refuges of Last Resort: Shropshire Workhouses and the People who Built and Ran them, by Lance Smith 1. Guardians and Builders 2. The Shrewsbury House of Industry 3. Workhouses of Late 18th-century Shropshire in Imitation of the Shrewsbury House of Industry

    Atcham; Ellesmere; Oswestry; Whitchurch 4. Workhouses of the Early 19th-century Reformed Poor Law in Industrial East Shropshire

    Madeley; Newport; Shifnal; Wellington 5. Workhouses of the Early 19th-century Reformed Poor Law in Rural Shropshire

    Bridgnorth; Church Stretton; Cleobury Mortimer; Clun; Drayton; Ludlow; Wem 6. Postscript Volume 83 A Tale of Two Bridges: Cwatbrycge and Bridgnorth revisited, by David Horovitz The Old Grammar School, Oswestry: An Architectural Appraisal, by Gerwyn Lewis and Madge Moran The Wills of John Talbot, First Earl of Shrewsbury, and of His Sons,Lord Lisle and Sir Louis Talbot, by

    John Ashdown-Hill Domestic Fuel around the Wyre Forest in the Early Modern Period, by David Poyner and Gwyneth Nair ‘We are not Men Pleasers’: Quakers and the Law in Later Seventeenth-Century Shropshire, by Janice

    Cox The History of the Tern Company, by Peter King Note: A Bronze Age Palstave Hoard from Rednal, Shropshire, by M. D.Watson Report: Shropshire Archives Reports for 2007 and 2008, by Mary McKenzie Reviews: Exploring Whitchurch History: Growth of a Shropshire Town, by Paul Anderton, It Happened in Shropshire, by Bob Burrows The Fitzalans: Earls of Arundel and Surrey, Lords of the Welsh Marches (1267–1415), by

    Michael Burtscher The People of God: Shrewsbury Dissenters 1660–1699, parts 1 and 2, by Janice V. Cox,

    Artisan Art: Vernacular Wall Paintings in the Welsh Marches, 1550–1650, by Kathryn Davies Son and Servant of Shropshire: The Life of Archdeacon Joseph (Plymley) Corbett 1759−1838, by Douglas Grounds 20th Century Defences in Britain: The West Midlands Area, by Colin Jones, Bernard Lowry and Mick Wilks A Jacobean ‘Market Hall’, Bishop’s Castle, Shropshire, by Madge Moran and Henry Hand The Lead, Copper and Barytes Mines of Shropshire, by Michael Shaw

    Obituaries: Marion Trenchard Roberts (1933–2008) Kenneth Charles Lock (1929–2008) David James Lloyd (1935–2009) Volume 84 The Possible Significance of the –wardine and –wic place-names in Shropshire, by T. G. Hill The Hermitage Caves, Bridgnorth – a Myth Explained?, by David Horowitz Concerning the Langland Family of Kinlet, by Gwyneth Nair and David Poyner Elizabeth Blount of Kinlet: An Image of Henry VIII’s Mistress Identified, by Elizabeth Norton Richard Baxter (1615–1691) and the Godly Town of Shrewsbury, by Barbara Coulton Shropshire Ice Houses Gazetteer, by Bob Jarrett John Probert of Copthorne: A Georgian Land Agent, by R. J. Silvester

  • Shropshire in the First Cholera Epidemic, by Lance Smith Joseph Bowles, Vicar of Stanton Lacy 1847–1879, by Derek Williams Reports: Shropshire Archives Reports for 2009 and 2010, by Mary McKenzie Archaeological Investigations in Shropshire in 2007 and 2008, by Charlotte Baxter Reviews: An Archaeological Assessment of an English Border Town, by Nigel Baker Obituaries: John Frederick Arthur Mason (1920–2009) Mary Cornelia Paget, née Hill (1912–2010) Volume 85 Sharpstone Hill and the Wall, Kynnersley Editor’s Introduction Sharpstone Hill and Meole Brace in the Iron Age and Roman Periods: Introduction, by Roger White and

    Andy Wrigley An Engineered Iron Age Road, Associated Roman Use (Margary Route 64), and Bronze Age Activity

    Recorded at Sharpstone Hill, 2009, by Tim Malim and Laurence Hayes The Walls of Troy: A Classical Labyrinth at The Wall, Kynnersley, by Caroline Malim and Tim Malim Volume 86 Papers Read at the David Lloyd Study Day (31 July 2010) in Ludlow

    Introduction: A Ludlow Lad, by Margaret Clark David Lloyd in the Ludlow Historical Tradition, by Margaret Clark The Ludlow Historical Research Group – an Overview, by Jean Brown David Lloyd and the Ludlow Interactive Map, by Phil Scoggins and Michael Page David Lloyd: Geographer, by Michael Rosenbaum David Lloyd’s Ph.D. Thesis, by Michael Rosenbaum The Scribe of Harley 2253: A Ludlow Lad and his Dangerous Poem, by Carter Revard The Importance of MS Harley 2253 and its Scribe from Ludlow, by Susanna Fein The Romance of Foulke le Fitz Waryn: The Ludlow Connection, by Catherine A. Rock Ludlow’s Roman Road, by Jonathan Wood Surveying the People: The National Census as a Resource for the Study of Victorian Ludlow, by Jean Brown David Lloyd, St. Laurence’s Church, and David’s Last Book, by Chris Potter David James Lloyd, 1935–2009: A Geography Teacher in Rochester, by Andrew Spearman David Lloyd: a Bibliography, by Michael Rosenbaum

    Eight Houses in and around Whitchurch and Wem, by Madge Moran

    28 Watergate Street, Whitchurch 15–15A Watergate Street, Whitchurch Broad Oak Farm, Old Woodhouses, Whitchurch Broughall Old Hall, Whitchurch Bridge Farm, Aston, Wem Aston House, Wem The Blue Bell Inn, Tushingham (Cheshire)

    A Late Iron Age and Early Romano-British Enclosure at Meole Brace, Shrewsbury, by Kate Bain and C. Jane Evans Shrewsbury Abbey, an Archaeological Investigation, by Emma Hancox ‘The Shropshire Gazetteer’ Report: Shropshire Archives Report for 2011, by Mary McKenzie Reviews: Religion, Gender, and Industry: Exploring Church and Methodism in a Local Setting,

    edited by Geordan Hammond and Peter Forsaith The Travels of Francis Tallents in France and Switzerland 1671–1673, edited by Janice V. Cox.

    Obituary: Kenneth Bevis Jones, MBE (1921–2012)

  • Volume 87 The Whetstone Blanks from the Forum Gutter at Roman Wroxeter: the Case for Provenance, by J. R. L.

    Allen and A. C. Scott Aspects of Welsh Settlement in the Upper Teme and Clun Valleys: The Manor of Tempseter in the

    Lordship of Clun, by P. G. Barton A Medieval Tombstone at St. Martins, near Oswestry, by Lawrence Butler The Depiction of Children on the Fifteenth and Sixteenth Century Tombs in Kinlet Church, by Elizabeth

    Norton ‘Noyfull Fowles and Vermin’: The Statutory Control of Wildlife in Shropshire, 1532–1861, by Ralph W.

    Collingwood Illuminating the Silent Enclosure Process – Evidence from North West Shropshire, by S. M. Varey ‘The Strongest Works in England’?: The Defences of Shrewsbury during the Civil Wars, 1642–1651, by

    Jonathan Worton Evangelising Georgian Shrewsbury, by Barbara Coulton The First Shropshire Mycologist and Lichenologist: Thomas Salwey, Vicar of Oswestry, by Thomas

    Preece Signing the Pledge: Oswestry’s Temperance Movement, by Carol James Reports: Shropshire Archives Reports for 2012 and 2013, by Mary McKenzie Reviews: Corpus of Anglo-Saxon Stone Sculpture, Volume X: The Western Midlands, by Richard

    Bryant with Michael Hare. Shawbury: the People and how they Lived, 1538–1725, by R. Collingwood. Deeds of the Palmers’ Gild of Ludlow, edited by M. A. Faraday The Guildhall, Ludlow, by M. Moran, Landscape History Discoveries in the North West, edited by S. M. Varey and G. J. White

    Obituary: Christopher John Phillpotts, M.A., Ph.D., F.S.A. (1954–2013) Volume 88 Pentrehyling and Brompton Excavations Pentrehyling Fort and Brompton Camps, Shropshire: Excavations 1977-98, by John Allen, with Jon Cane

    and Alex Jones. Pentreheyling fort and Brompton camps, Shropshire, Introduction and Background The Roman marching camps at Brompton Pentreheyling Fort Period 3: Late Roman activity Period 4: Post-Roman activity SPECIALIST REPORTS Discussion Roger White Volume 89 From Minster to Priory: St. Milburga’s, Wenlock, by Rose Lagram-Taylor A Study of ‘Radman Villages’ Recorded in Domesday Book in Western Shropshire, by Mary Atkin Alveley Revisited: A Note on Patronage, by John Hunt ‘Hopton Quarter’: A Time Team Evaluation at Hopton Castle, by Naomi Brennan Plas Beddowe(n): The Mansion of Owain’s Grave, by Christopher Jobson ‘Talbot’s Tomb’ Revisited, by Barry Langston ‘Not a Silver but a Golden Talent’: The Life of the Reverend Francis Tallents, by Janice Cox The Life and Times of William Lawley, Former Secretary of the Wenlock Olympian Society: The

    Revaluation of a Victorian Criminal Lunatic, by Timothy Peters, Joanne Smith and Gwen Adshead Note: Hearth Tax 1672: Part of Pimhill Hundred, by Janice Cox Report: Shropshire Archives Report for 2014 by Mary McKenzie Reviews: Beneath Safer Skies: a Child Evacuee in Shropshire, by Anthea Toft

  • Victoria County History of Shropshire: Volume VI, Part 1, Shrewsbury: General History and Topography, edited by W. A. Champion and A. T. Thacker

    Obituaries: Margaret Joy Gelling (1924–2009) and Hugh Denis George Foxall (1911–1989) Sylvia Watts (1934–2014) Volume 90 The Old Welsh Bridge, Shrewsbury The Old Welsh Bridge, Shrewsbury. Excavations at the Severn Theatre Venue, Frankwell, Shrewsbury,

    2006-7, by Bruce Watson and Christopher Phillpotts with contributions by Phillip Allen, Ian M. Betts, Paul Blinkhorn, Victoria Bryant, Brian Connell, Craig Halsey, Nigel Jefferies, Lynne Keys, Jacqui Pearce, Alan Pipe, Beth Richardson and Terrence P Smith

    Volume 91 ‘The old people will never be happier elsewhere’: The Society of Friends World War II evacuation hostel,

    Coalbrookdale, Telford, Shropshire, by T. J. Peters and Tamsin Bapty Dr Samuel Butler and the christening of Ernest Pontifex. New light on The Way of All Flesh, by James

    Lawson Writ in Stone. The monumental inscriptions on the floor of St Mary’s, Shrewsbury, 1790, by Janice Cox St Winifred’s Well, Woolston, Shropshire, and the Stanley family, by Rick Turner Investigating an elite landscape: archaeological survey at Bromfield Priory, Shropshire, by Duncan W.

    Wright, Steve Trick and Oliver Creighton Iron Age and Romano-British occupation at Craven Arms Enclosure B, Shropshire: investigations in

    2013, by Tim Malim and Thomas Wellicome A short note on the Epona Stone, Oswestry, Shropshire, by George Nash, Maggie Rowlands and Rodney

    Farmer The archaeological and palaeoenvironmental potential of the Weald Moors, Shropshire, by Shelagh

    Norton James Pickering and the search for cropmarks in Shropshire: a personal memoir, by Robert F. Hartley Reports: Shropshire Archives Report for 2015, by Mary McKenzie Archaeological Investigations in Shropshire 2009–11, by Charlotte Orchard and Giles Carey Reviews: Haughmond Abbey: Excavation of a 12th century cloister in its historical and landscape

    context, by Jeffrey J. West and Nicholas Palmer Shropshire Taxes in the Reign of Henry VIII, edited by M. A. Faraday The 1662 Diary of Philip Henry (1631-1696), edited by Raymond Brown Wigmore Castle, North Herefordshire: Excavations 1996 and 1998, by Stephanie Rátkai Ditherington Mill and the Industrial Revolution, edited by Colum Giles and Mike Williams

    Volume 92 The Army Pay Office Shrewsbury during the Great War (1914-1920), by John Black Pre-Industrial Dawley, by Ralph Collingwood Medieval and post-medieval occupation at Glebe House, Abbey Foregate, Shrewsbury, Shropshire, 2015: Summary Report, by Peter Boyer and Sarah Cobain Recent Romano-British Discoveries near Wroxeter, by Andrea Burgess and Patrick Daniel The Roveries Lower and Upper Hillfort, Lydham, South Shropshire excavations 1960–1963, by Nicholas Thomas Reports: Shropshire Archives Report for 2016, by Mary McKenzie Archaeological Investigations in Shropshire 2012-13, by Giles Carey Reviews Westward on the High-Hilled Plains, by Derek Hurst Man of Iron: Thomas Telford and the Building of Britain, by Julian Glover Medieval Powys. Kingdom, Principality and Lordships, 1132-1293, by David Stephenson Industrial Archaeology of Shropshire, by Barrie Trinder

  • The Story of Bishop’s Castle, Edited by David Preshous, George Baugh, John Leonard, Gavin Watson and Andrew Wigley

    Silchester: Changing Visions of a Roman Town, by John Creighton Warriors Warlords and Saints, by John Hunt Volume 93 The warren on Norbury Hill, by Hugh Hannaford and Bob Silvester Shropshire duck decoys, by Peter Brown ‘For I count not any of my Grapes worth the Presse' The life of the Revd Thomas Froysell, protégé of the

    Harley family of Brampton Bryan, by Janice Cox The local name Mardol and similar in Shrewsbury Much Wenlock and Claverley, and in Kingsland

    (Herefordshire), by Richard Coates Capturing the castle: recent survey work at Castle Pulverbatch Motte and Bailey, Shropshire, by Giles

    Carey Two legal maps from Shropshire, by Bob Silvester and Michael Athanson Romanesque wall paintings in

    Quatford Church, by Tony Can and Roger Rosewell Neolithic and Iron Age activity at land off Haughton Road and Newport Road, Shifnal, 2015, by Richard

    Bradley and Robert Hedge Reports Shropshire Archives Report for 2017, by Mary McKenzie Archaeological Investigations in Shropshire 2014-2015, by Giles Carey Reviews Shrewsbury Drapers Company 1462-2007: The Legacy, by Nigel Hinton To Settle the Crown Waging Civil War in Shropshire, 1642-1648, by Jonathan Worton Fortress Salopia: Exploring Shropshire's Military History from the Prehistoric Period to the

    Twentieth Century, edited by Tim Jenkins and Rachel Abbiss Offa 's Dyke: Landscape and Hegemony in Eighth-century Britain by Keith Ray and Ian

    Bapty Houses of Hereford, 1200-1700, by Nigel Baker, Pat Hughes and Richard K. Morriss Obituary Ivor Brown Volume 94 The deanery of Oswestry during the 18th century, by Roger L. Brown Shropshire manor court rolls in the early modern period: some problems considered, by Sylvia Watts Shropshire levies in the army of Montgomery 1294/5: the payroll account of John de Sandale, by Phillip Willson, John Davies and Peter Barton The amulets of Roman Wroxeter: evidence for everyday magic, by Cameron Moffett Redhill (Uxacona), Telford, Shropshire: excavations in 1972–73 and 2011–13, by Derek Hurst, Andrew Mann, C. Jane Evans, Laura Griffin, Elizabeth Pearson and Suzi Richer An early Bronze Age urned burial from Crowmeole, Shrewsbury, Shropshire, by Richard A. Bradley, Jacqueline McKinley, C. Jane Evans, Patrick Quinn and Elizabeth Pearson A note on three newly identified Romano-British cosmetic grinders from Wroxeter, by Cameron Moffett Reports Shropshire Archives Report for 2018, by Mary McKenzie Archaeological Investigations in Shropshire 2016–2017, by Giles Carey Reviews Clash of Cultures? The Romano-British Period in the West Midlands, edited by Roger White

    and Mike Hodder Gardens and Green Spaces in the West Midlands since 1700, edited by Malcolm Dick and

    Elaine Mitchell The Bridgnorth Infirmary, by Gillian Waugh Pead Oswestry through Time, by David Trumper The Industries of East Shropshire through Time, by Neil Clarke 50 Gems of Shropshire, by John Shipley Blood, Faith and Iron: A Dynasty of Catholic Industrialists in Sixteenth and Seventeenth

    Century England, by Paul Belford Place-names of Shropshire, John Baker with Sarah Beach Obituary John Powell