The Indus Valley Civilization
Embed Size (px)
Transcript of The Indus Valley Civilization
What evidence have archaeologists found of a highly developed civilization in the Indus River Valley?The IndusValley Civilization11. What made the Indus River Valley an ideal place for people to settle?The mountains, rivers, and fertile soil made the Indus River Valley an ideal place for people to settle.
2. Which two mountain ranges separate India from the rest of Asia, making India a subcontinent?a. Hindu Kushb. Himalayas
Insert video on mt. everest
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6115477128005330946&ei=dbFbS8_fLqXuqwKyiIzzCQ&q=mt+everest&hl=en#docid=74031340373461113273. Where was the location of ancient Indias first civilization, Mohenjo-Daro?Mohenjo-Daro was located 250 miles from the coast of the Arabian Sea and along the Indus River in the Indus River Valley.
4. Why was the flooding of the Indus River important?The flooding was important because it left behind silt- a fine, rich-grained soil.
5. What is a monsoon?A monsoon is a strong, seasonal wind.
MonsoonsGoodBad- brings much needed water- brings drought- brings rain for crops- flooding- brings cool air- brings destruction- lush, green vegetation- mudslides- festivals- high winds- relieves humidity- dangerous waves 6. From April to October (summer), which direction dothe monsoon winds travel and what do they bring with them?The monsoon winds travel in from southwest over the Indian Ocean and carry heavy rains. (wet season)
7. From November to March (winter), which direction do the monsoon winds travel and what do they bring with them?The monsoon winds travel in from the northeast, bringing dry air. (dry season)
8. What evidence is there of a strong, central government in the Indus River Valley?There are several cities (+70) and yet they are similarly laid out with buildings, streets, and sewers.What were some achievements of Mohenjo-Daro? (engineering/economic)
9. What evidence is there that the people from this area traded with Mesopotamia?Mesopotamian writings mention trade with the Indus Valley.Stone beads, bone inlays, and seals from the Indus Valley have been found in Mesopotamia.
10. What were cube-shaped stone weights used for?These weights were used by merchants to measure out grain, gold, and other goods.
11. What were seals used for?The seals were used by merchants to stamp their identification on their belongings. Each seal was different and included pictures, writing, and/or numbers.
12. Read A Closer Look: Mohenjo-Daro on pages 226-227. List 5 facts about life in this ancient city.Sewers kept the city clean.2-story houses made of bricks. Included a well and courtyard.Men and women wore colorful clothing.Ritual bathing Had storage rooms for grain like wheat, barley, and rice.Skilled potters.
13. What are 2 theories that explain why civilization in the Indus River Valley gradually declined?Natural disasters such as earthquakes and floods.Decline in trade and wealth forced people to move to small, farming villages because there was no more work in the cities.14. List 2 parts of the Indus River Valleys culture thathave survived. Jewelry- bracelets.Raised chickens.Spun and weaved cotton for cloth.