The Great Depression
Embed Size (px)
Transcript of The Great Depression
2. Migrant Mother
- The photograph that has become known as "Migrant Mother" is one of a series of photographs that Dorothea Lange made of Florence Owens Thompson and her children in February or March of 1936 in Nipomo, California.
3. The Hooverville Phenomenon During the Great Depression in the United States, millions of homeless people settled in teeming communities of makeshift shacks known derisively as Hoovervilles. 4. Who wants to know more about The Great Depression?
- People interested in alternative views of history
- People interested in American History
- People curious about public policy
5. The Federal Reserve
- Kept interest rates low leading up to the crash of 1929
- Tightened the money supply in late 1931
- Raised interest rates in 1928 to halt outflow of gold from Britain
- Actions were opposite of what was done during the post war crash of 1920 1921, when the American economy recovered froma large collapse with little government intervention from the Federal Reserve.
6. Herbert Hoover
- Herbert Clark Hoover(August 10, 1874 October 20, 1964) was the31 stPresident of The United States(19291933).
- Passed the Railway Labor Act in 1926
- Worked to keep wages artificially high
- Passed Smoot-Hawley Tariffs in 1930, furtherweakening the already shocked U.S economy.
- Ordered an increase in the deportation of immigrants during the crisis
7. Franklin D. Roosevelt
- Sworn in March 1933
- Immediately formed several Federal Agencies, the C.C.C, F.E.R.A, P.W.A, N.R.A to fight the Depression
- Threatened to pack the Supreme Court if they kept ruling his measures unconstitutional.
- Unemployment reached 19% in 1938, after 5 years of his interventionist policies .
8. Andrew Mellon
- Served as Treasury Secretary under Harding, Coolidge, and Hoover.
- Served from 1921 to 1932
- Cut taxes from 73% to 25% in 1921-1925
- Ran budget surplus every year of the 1920s, one of the most prosperous decades in U.S history.
9. Depression Era Unemployment Chart 10. Citations
- Unemployment Line Photo http://www.archives.gov/research/american-cities/images/american-cities-129.jpg
- Migrant Mother Photo -http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/54/Lange-MigrantMother02.jpg
- Seattle Hooverville Photo -http://www.vintageseattle.org/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/hooverville_01.jpg
- Andrew Mellon Photo http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/03/AWMellon.jpg
- Herbert Hoover Photo -http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Herbert_Hoover.jpg
- Franklin Roosevelt Photo -http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:FDR_in_1933.jpg
- Federal Reserve Logo http://images.quickblogcast.com/6/7/7/9/5/169989-159776/600px_US_FederalReserveSystem_Seal_svg.png
- What is a Hooverville? http://www.semp.us/publications/biot_reader.php?BiotID=626
- Migrant Mother Info http://www.loc.gov/rr/print/list/128_migm.html
- Unemployment Chart http://badgerblogalliance.blogspot.com/2009/01/new-deal-and-great-depression.html
- The Politically Incorrect Guide To The Great Depression and The New Deal by Robert Murphy, Ph.D