Embed Size (px)
Transcript of Tech careers
- 1. The broad-based technology I have chosen is By: Zahireen Tarefdar
- 2. I have chosen to talk about psychiatrists A psychiatrist is like a doctorbut he/she specializes in The brain and mentality!A psychiatrist is a medical practitioner who specializesin diagnosing and treating mental disorders. Psychiatrists are in the healthcare field, and certainly work with healthcare technology. Many use medical software such as EMR (Electronic Medical Record) , or SoftPsych Psychiatric Diagnosis to improve quality of care.
- 3. Job description of a psychiatrist Psychiatrists analyze and asses a patients state of mind They use a biopsychosocial way to do this, by taking into account past experiences, family, culture and surroundings. They must diagnose mental illnesses They must treat the problem. This can be done through various ways: - Psychotherapy: Regular discussion of problems with patient, where thepsychiatrist helps them find solutions by changing negative behaviour patterns - Psychoanalysis: Long- term psychotherapy and counselling - Medication: Often to correct chemical imbalances, which cause emotionalproblems - Hospitlization Psychiatrists frequently work in group medical practices, clinics or hospitals, and less frequently solo In Canada, average Psychiatrist work hours were 1750 per year Psychiatrists average salary: more than $174,000 per year
- 4. Different types of psychiatry Addiction Psychiatrist: Works with patients suffering from addiction, or substance use Adult psychiatrist: Works with adults with psychological problems/illness Child psychiatrist: Works with kids and/or teens Forensic psychiatrist: Works with criminal justice Geriatric psychiatrist: Works with aging/elderly people Neuropsychiatric: Works with mental problems associated with the nervous system, and brain diseases/injuries Organizational Psychiatrist: Practices psychiatry in an organizational setting
- 5. PsychiatricAverage aspiring ambitions andpsychiatrist goals What STEPS must he/she take to achieve his/her goal? Well
- 6. Education pathway required for psychiatristIn high school, math, science and social science courses should be takenIn Science, specifically biology, chemistry and physics courses should befocused on.After high school, the aspiring psychiatrist goes on to University to get aBachelors degree (4 years)MCATs (Medical College Application Test) must be taken to get into accreditedmedical school to futher study in field (medicine, pre-medicine, psychoanalysis,psychotherapy, biological studies, biochemistry, chemistry, are some subjectsthat will be offered) (4 years)Residency : Where medical skills are applied. A written and oral test (whichcover basic science, clinical psychology, and specialty psychology) must bepassed to achieve board certification. (4 years)1-2 years additional training if going into sub-specialty fieldMore than 12 years of post secondarytraining
- 7. So basicallyin a simple breakdown + + + Medical school Bachelors degree degree= Completed But its not that simplethe path Certified Psychiatrist residency needed to become a psychiatrist and keep the job, requires determination, hard work any many skills and concepts.
- 8. Concepts of TechnologySafetyActing in a way that ensures that life, property, systems, processes and services arenot jeopardized or harmed in any way.Psychiatrists deal with very sensitive things- a persons brain and mentality. They must dealwith patients with care, consideration and proper analyzation. It would be highlydangerous, unsafe and irresponsible if the psychiatrist misdiagnosed a patient, or gavethem the wrong medicine. Inadequate psychotherapy can also put a patients mental statein danger. Patient records must also be safely organized, or else confidentiality, andinformation may be jeopardized or mixed up/lost. =
- 9. SystemInterrelated mechanisms that all function as part of a whole, which may beconnected to other systems.The human mind itself is like a system. Different parts of the brain work together to formone whole- the working human mind. A psychiatrist needs to be able to separate thedifferent components of the brain, search for anything improper and know how to treatthe issue. Systematic thinking , or to understand how things/systems influence and affecteach other, is necessary in a psychiatrist. The psychiatrist must be able to relate real-life,past/present, cultural situations to understand the influence it has had on the patient,and to come to an inference.
- 10. Essential SkillsThinkingComing to logical conclusions/decisions through evaluating and understandinginformation.A psychiatrists must make logical conclusions to a patients symptoms, to diagnosethem. He/she must also think analytically constantly and instantaneously duringpsychotherapy or psychoananalysis sessions, to help council the patient whilediscussing things in an effective way. A psychologist must think fast and beprepared to deal with strong patient reactions.
- 11. Oral CommunicationBeing able to use speech as a form of communicating and exchangingideas/informationPsychiatrists must effectively use speech and listening skills duringpsychotherapy to help treat the patient. He/she must be reassuring, andabsolute in their conversations, so that the patient may draw away positivelyfrom each session. A psychiatrist must be able to ask clear questions to thepatient, to better understand their situation. As psychiatrists often work ingroups, a psychiatrist must be able to respectfully listen to co-workers, as wellas voice their own opinion within the group.
- 12. Work HabitsInitiativeBeing resilient in solving tasks with determination and confidence. To be able toasses things with a strong work ethic.A good psychiatrist will take initiative and have a strong will to resolve patientsproblems. They should be have a strong worth ethic, and be concrete anddetermined throughout their career.
- 13. ReliabilityTo be trustworthy, and consistenly good in practice/performanceA patient has to trust their psyhiatrist to let the psychiatrist help them.Just the same, the psychiatrist therefore has to make themselvestrustworthy. Psychiatrist must follow the guidelines of health and safetlywhile paying attention to detail to properly diagnose (or risk amisdiagnosis). Coworkers must trust each other.He/she must be able toeffectively use time to get work done. He/she must know that they areresponsible for the outcome of the patient, and must accept that.
- 14. All these things are the foundation to the path ofHard workDrive Work Habits Skills Concepts Education
- 15. SUCCESS! The end!
- 16. Bibliographyhttp://www.ehow.com/about_5046040_schooling-needed-become-psychiatrist.html#page=0http://education-portal.com/how_to_become_a_psychiatrist.htmlhttp://www.cpa-apc.org/browse/documents/27http://www.rcpsych.ac.uk/expertadvice/treatments/psychiatrists.aspxhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_medical_recordhttp://www.healthcaresalaryonline.com/psychiatrist-job-description.htmlhttp://psychology.about.com/od/psychologycareerprofiles/a/psychiatrist.htm