Summer 2014 Inside Whitehall magazine

Inside WhitehallTM The Magazine for Flagler Museum Members Summer 2014 Volume Twenty-one Number Three


The magazine for Flagler Museum Members

Transcript of Summer 2014 Inside Whitehall magazine

Page 1: Summer 2014 Inside Whitehall magazine


The Magazine for Flagler Museum Members

Summer 2014 Volume Twenty-one • Number Three

Page 2: Summer 2014 Inside Whitehall magazine

Museum TrusteesPresident: George G. MatthewsVice President: G. F. Robert HankeTreasurer: William M. MatthewsSecretary: Thomas S. Kenan, IIITrustee: Alexander W. DreyfoosTrustee: Kelly M. HopkinsTrustee: John B. Rogers

Leadership StaffExecutive Director: John M. BladesChief Financial Officer: Rudina ToroChief Curator: Tracy KamererEducation Director: Allison GoffFacilities Manager: William FallacaroMember Services Director: Sarah BrutschyPublic Affairs Director: David CarsonStore & Cafe Manager: Kristen Cahill

On the CoverExhibition Technician Rylie Osmer positions a new, historically accurate gnomon atop the sundial on Whitehall’s South Lawn.

Museum Hours and AdmissionThe Flagler Museum is open year round, Tuesday through Saturday, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., and Sunday, noon to 5 p.m. Closed Mondays, Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year’s Day. Admission is $18 for adults, $10 for youth ages 13-17, $3 for children ages 6-12, and children under 6 are free. Admission is free for Members. Special rates are available for groups. The Museum and grounds are wheelchair accessible.

Inside Whitehall is published quarterly by the Henry Morrison Flagler Museum, Inc., a 501(c)(3) nonprofit corporation.

The Flagler MuseumOne Whitehall WayPalm Beach, Florida 33480 Telephone (561) 655-2833Fax (561) 655-2826e-mail: [email protected] website:

© Flagler Museum, 2014

The Flagler Museum was recently awarded several generous grants for upcoming projects and programs. The Max and Victoria Dreyfus Foundation has provided funding for the 2015 Whitehall Lecture Series, celebrating its 30th Season next winter. A grant from the Enterprise Holdings Foundation will support the Fall 2014 Special Exhibition - Kiss of the Oceans: The Meeting of the Atlantic and the Pacific. A grant from the Stockman Family Foundation Trust will fund conservation and treatment for the Music Room Furniture, matching a pending application for a Museums for America grant from the Institute of Museum and Library Services.

A General Program Support grant has been awarded by the Florida Department of State – Division of Cultural Affairs for 2014-15, providing important funding for the Education and Curatorial Departments as well as for Marketing. The Museum’s General Program Support grant application received the second highest score among 315 cultural organizations state-wide.

The Museum is most grateful for the ongoing support of these grant funders, whose generosity makes it possible to preserve and interpret its important collections and educate the public about Henry Flagler, Florida’s history, and America’s Gilded Age.

Museum Receives Four Grants

The meeting of the Atlantic and Pacific, “The Kiss of the Oceans,” ca. 1912-1915. Postcard. Flagler Museum Archives.

Page 3: Summer 2014 Inside Whitehall magazine

The Education Department recently visited Seminole Elementary School in Okeechobee, Florida, to bring the story of Henry Flagler’s Florida Legacy to more than 200 students in grades 3 - 5. As part of a school-wide reading initiative, the school chose to read Kidnapped In Key West, a children’s historical fiction novel about the adventures of a young boy whose father worked for the Florida East Coast Railway as the construction of the Over-Sea Railroad was completed. To enhance the program, the school invited the Flagler Museum to bring additional resources and activities to help students further their interest in Florida history and the legacy of Henry Flagler.

The presentation included a brief review of Florida history during the Gilded Age using images and maps from the Flagler Museum Archives, an historic reenactment of Henry Flagler’s arrival in Key West on January 22, 1912, and a virtual tour of Railcar No. 91. “As educators, we enjoy visiting schools to meet teachers and students who are excited to learn more about the impact of Henry Flagler’s incredible legacy and how his vision shaped modern Florida.” said Flagler Museum Education Director Allison Goff.

Museum Staff visit Okeechobee for Community Outreach activity

Page 4: Summer 2014 Inside Whitehall magazine

XRF Analysis at WhitehallThe exciting discovery that the four large torchieres original to Whitehall’s Drawing Room are bronze, coated with a rare amalgam of aluminum and silver, encouraged the Flagler Museum to carry out additional materials testing and research on objects in the Drawing Room. In 2011, X-Ray Fluorescence (XRF) analysis on the torchieres helped solve the mystery of why the light fixtures – previously thought to have been plated in silver - were turning green [see Inside Whitehall Winter 2012].

XRF is one of the best analytical techniques available to perform elemental or chemical analysis on a wide range of materials such as alloys, pigments, ceramics, or glass. With the assistance of conservator Scott Nolley, the Flagler Museum recently used an XRF alloy analyzer to carry out additional testing on the torchieres and other decorative surfaces in the Drawing Room.

Utilizing the analyzer, testing on numerous samples of metal leaf on the Drawing Room’s walls confirmed that the material is nearly pure aluminum, supporting the 1997 microscopic analysis results carried out by the Smithsonian Institution’s Conservation Analytical Laboratory. XRF scans were also carried out on the room’s matching thermostats and door hardware, which confirmed that they were of the same unusual composition as the torchieres – bronze coated with an aluminum and silver alloy.

Analysis was next focused on the Drawing Room’s matching art case piano, a Steinway & Sons Model B grand with a custom finish provided by Steinway according to specifications from Whitehall’s interior designers, the New York firm Pottier & Stymus. Museum staff had always wondered whether the piano’s dull silver decorative elements, which visually

The decorative leaf on the Drawing Room’s matching Steinway & Sons art case piano was revealed by XRF analysis to be pure zinc.

Page 5: Summer 2014 Inside Whitehall magazine

coordinated with the walls, were also leafed in aluminum. Surprisingly, XRF analysis revealed that the piano’s carved ornament is leafed with pure zinc. It is clear that the zinc was an aesthetic choice, intended to match the appearance of the aluminum leaf on the walls.

Research into the uses of aluminum at Whitehall is ongoing, as the room appears to be unique in its innovative uses of the metal. A presentation on the history and conservation of the Drawing Room’s

aluminum leaf and torchieres was made in April by the Flagler Museum’s Chief Curator, Tracy Kamerer, and conservator Scott Nolley, at a conference entitled “Aluminum: History, Technology and Conservation,” sponsored by the American Institute for Conservation of Historic and Artistic Works, the International Council of Museums, and the Smithsonian Institution. The conference was held at the Smithsonian American Art Museum, and was the first professional gathering of its kind on the history, production, and preservation of aluminum.

1. Conservator Scott Nolley using a handheld XRF analyzer to test the Drawing Room’s aluminum leaf and torchieres.2. XRF analysis confirmed that the Drawing Room’s thermostats are coated with the same rare aluminum/silver alloy utilized on the torchieres.3. The Flagler Museum’s Chief Curator, Tracy Kamerer, analyzing aluminum leaf on the Drawing Room’s over door decorations.




Page 6: Summer 2014 Inside Whitehall magazine

John Philip Sousa, The March KingThe Flagler Museum recently acquired several rare publications that illustrate the popularity of John Philip Sousa, one of the Gilded Age’s most beloved composers. Sousa was born on November 6, 1854, in Washington, D.C. His father, John Antonio Sousa, played trombone in the United States Marine Band. Sousa grew up surrounded by military band music and began studying voice, violin, piano, flute, cornet, baritone, trombone and alto horn at the age of six. At

13, Sousa tried to run away with a circus band, but instead his father enlisted him in the Marine Band as an apprentice and Sousa remained a member of that band for the next seven years.

After being discharged from the Marines in 1875, the 21-year-old Sousa began performing on violin and eventually conducted theater orchestras. It was during a run of Gilbert & Sullivan’s H.M.S. Pinafore

on Broadway that he met his future wife, Jane van Middlesworth Bellis, who was in the chorus.

In 1880 Sousa assumed leadership of the Marine Band, also known as “The President’s Own.” As the Band’s leader, Sousa served under Presidents Rutherford B. Hayes, James A. Garfield, Chester A. Arthur, Grover Cleveland, and Benjamin Harrison. For the next 12 years Sousa built the Marine Band into the nation’s finest band, upgrading its performance level and expanding its repertoire with wind arrangements of symphonic and operatic works as well as new marches, including “Semper Fidelis,” which he dedicated to the officers and men of the Marine Corps.

Under Sousa the Marine Band also made its first recordings, releasing 60 wax cylinders in the fall of 1890. Personally, however, Sousa held a very low opinion of the emerging recording industry and despised “canned” recordings so much that he almost never conducted his band when it was being recorded. Sousa believed that

Sheet music for “The Stars and Stripes Forever! March” by John Philip Sousa, published in 1897. Flagler Museum Archives.

Page 7: Summer 2014 Inside Whitehall magazine

the player piano and the gramophone “stripped the life from real, human, soulful live performances.”

In a submission to a congressional hearing in 1906, Sousa argued:

“These talking machines are going to ruin the artistic development of music in this country. When I was a front of every house in the summer evenings, you would find young people together singing the songs of the day or old songs. Today you hear these infernal machines going night and day. We will not have a vocal cord left. The vocal cord will be eliminated by a process of evolution, as was the tail of man when he came from the ape.”

Sousa resigned his Marine commission to form Sousa’s Band in 1892. It was as the leader of Sousa’s Band that he wrote one of his best known compositions in 1896, “The Stars and Stripes Forever! March.” Congress officially declared this masterpiece our National March in 1987. Sousa and his band continued to tour for the next 30 years, including a series of performances at the Panama-Pacific International Exposition in San Francisco during the summer of 1915.

Throughout his lifetime John Philip Sousa wrote 15 operettas, 11 descriptive orchestral suites, 70 songs and 136 marches. The Flagler Museum holds one period recording by Sousa in its collection, a metal disc of the march “El Capitan” for the Regina Music Box on display in the Music Room. Sousa’s works were wildly popular, and the marches in particular captured the patriotic spirit of America. According to music historian Barrymore Laurence Scherer, “Sousa’s marches reflect a nation at peace and proud of it. Although Sousa wrote “The Stars and Stripes Forever!” while the U.S. was still mired in the depression triggered by the Panic of 1893, the music anticipates America’s optimism in the coming era of Presidents William McKinley and Theodore Roosevelt.”

Left: A first edition copy of John Philip Sousa’s autobiography, Marching Along: Recollections of Men, Women and Music, published in 1928. Henry Flagler Harris Research Library.Right: A copy of The Fifth String, a novel by John Philip Sousa, which was owned by Mary Lily Kenan Flagler. Henry Flagler Harris Research Library.

Sousa also wrote three novels including The Fifth String, published in 1902, about a young violinist who makes a deal with the devil. The Flagler Museum’s Henry Flagler Harris Research Library holds a copy of this novel, which was owned and inscribed by Mary Lily Kenan Flagler. In 1928 Sousa also published his autobiography, titled Marching Along: Recollections of Men, Women and Music. The Henry Flagler Harris Research Library also holds a copy of this volume inscribed by Sousa to Walter Russell, a painter, sculptor, and President of the Society of Arts and Sciences, which bestowed an award upon Sousa that was designed and sculpted by Russell.

Sousa championed the cause of music education, received several honorary degrees, and fought for composers’ rights, testifying before Congress in 1927 and 1928. Sousa died at age 77 on March 6th, 1932, after

conducting a rehearsal of the Ringgold Band in Reading, Pennsylvania. The

last piece he conducted was his popular favorite “The Stars and

Stripes Forever!”

Page 8: Summer 2014 Inside Whitehall magazine

Mary Lily Kenan Flagler’s brother, William Rand Kenan, Jr. (1872-1965), was a friend and confidant of Henry Flagler and an important figure in the Flagler System. Trained as an engineer, Kenan initially worked for the Florida East Coast Hotel Company, and in 1902 was in charge of all electrical works in Palm Beach. He built Miami’s first electric power plant for the FEC Hotel Company in 1904, which later merged with other entities to become the Florida Power and Light Company. Kenan served on the power company’s board of directors and held the title of director emeritus until his death. After Henry Flagler’s death, William R. Kenan, Jr. eventually became President of the Florida East Coast Railway and Hotel Companies.

Kenan was very interested in railroads and private railroad cars as a result of his association with the FEC Railway, and was known to have an incredible eye for detail, both practical and artistic. A year after Henry Flagler’s death, Kenan ordered a private railcar for

Mary Lily. Named Whitehall and built by the Pullman Car Company, Kenan remembered the project with fondness: “I enjoyed working out the many details and felt that we had produced a wonder job.” Interestingly, the Whitehall is still on the rails in Canada.

Kenan’s “wonder job” was destined to lead to two additional private cars built by Pullman for his own use, known as the Randleighs. These were two distinct cars with different designs, used during separate time periods, but Kenan kept the same name for both cars so that monogrammed items could be reused. As the result of recent research and newly discovered information, the often confusing story of the creation and use of these two remarkable railcars - referred to as Randleigh 1 and Randleigh 2– can, for the first time, be fully told.

Randleigh 1’s story started in 1920 when Pullman contacted William Kenan. They had recently received

The Luxurious Randleighs

Exterior view of Rockmarge, later renamed Randleigh, ca. 1906. Pullman Car Company Photographs, Archives Center, National Museum of American History, Smithsonian Institution.

Page 9: Summer 2014 Inside Whitehall magazine

The seating and dining area of Rockmarge, later renamed Randleigh, ca. 1906. Pullman Car Company Photographs, Archives Center, National Museum of American History, Smithsonian Institution.

Page 10: Summer 2014 Inside Whitehall magazine

a private railcar, the Rockmarge, and wanted to know if Kenan was interested in purchasing it. Kenan noted in his memoirs that he had been thinking about getting his own car for years. Rockmarge had been built in 1902 by Pullman for W. H. Moore of the Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific Railway Company. By 1920 Moore had passed away, and Pullman had taken ownership of the car once again. The car was 80 feet long, a wooden structure with steel underframe. Images of the interior of Rockmarge in the Smithsonian Institution’s collection show beautiful mahogany

walls with rich upholstery and appointments. Kenan purchased Rockmarge from Pullman, but insisted on minor alterations in design and equipment before taking delivery of the railcar he renamed Randleigh. Over the next five years Kenan used the car regularly. During its use Kenan contemplated additional improvements, and with that in mind he went back to Pullman in 1925 to begin planning Randleigh 2.

The second Randleigh was a collaboration between Pullman, William Kenan, and E. S. Smith,

Master Car Builder of the FEC Railway. Randleigh 2 was 85 feet in length, an all steel car with air conditioning, a feature that no doubt has facilitated its constant use and reuse over the years. At the time of construction the car was the largest in existence, which caused the designers anxiety related to clearance on turns. Kenan described the car as “lined with American walnut and had two large bed rooms, with toilets; a large dining room, large observation room, butler’s pantry and kitchen and crews quarters sufficient for three men.” The car

An undated interior view of Randleigh 2. Flagler Museum Archives.

Page 11: Summer 2014 Inside Whitehall magazine

Randleigh 2 in an undated photograph. Flagler Museum Archives.

was designed and outfitted with the best materials. The linens were from Ireland, the china from Bavaria, and glassware from Czechoslovakia. Many features, such as the carpets, were specifically designed for the car. Despite the large size and meticulous detail, Randleigh 2 was delivered in June of 1926, less than a year after the project began.

Three months after the delivery of Randleigh 2 Kenan sold Randleigh 1 to the FEC Railway, and it was incorporated into the larger fleet. Randleigh 2 was actively used by the Kenan family for long trips, including: the Chicago World’s Fair (1933); the Canadian Northwest (1929 and 1940); and the West Coast (1927 and 1937). Passengers often included Kenan’s wife, Alice Pomroy Kenan, his sisters Sarah Graham Kenan and Jessie Kenan Wise, and his secretary.

In the following decades Randleigh 1 would continue to be used by the FEC Railway under its new name, Railcar 95. Eventually it was sold and used as part of a railroad-themed hotel and nightclub near Wilkes-Barre, PA. The car was eventually purchased by a private owner and is currently being restored.

Randleigh 2’s fate was dramatically different from that of its older sibling. In 1943 it was sold to the Chesapeake & Ohio Railway Company and used by their executive department for track inspections. The C&O was later folded into CSX when the larger business was formed, and at that time the car was renamed Stonewall Jackson, and later renamed Washington. By the 1990s it was used for various events based out of Washington D.C.’s Union Terminal. In 2008 the car underwent refurbishment and was converted into a 3 bedroom business car, with an interior design similar to its original plan, though its exterior was drastically altered. By 2008 the car was renamed Waycross, and is currently in use by CSX for events in the Washington D.C. area.

Over a century has passed since the beginning of the Randleigh story. William Rand Kenan, Jr.’s love of technology and style is reflected in the two Randleighs. The fact that both still exist today, with one remaining in use, is a testament to their sound construction, the legacies of the Flagler and Kenan families, and the historical importance of the Florida East Coast Railway.

Page 12: Summer 2014 Inside Whitehall magazine

Whitehall’s SundialRestored

Whitehall’s housekeeper, Ida Schiefer, standing next to the sundial in an undated photograph. Schiefer worked for the Flaglers at their New York and Palm Beach homes. The original gnomon is still in place on the sundial. Flagler Museum Archives.

Page 13: Summer 2014 Inside Whitehall magazine

isitors to the Flagler Museum are fortunate to be able to see Whitehall’s original sundial. Located to the south of the mansion’s façade,

the sundial is a masterpiece of carefully calculated design. Unfortunately, over the years, the original bronze gnomon – the part of the sundial that casts a shadow - and a later replacement were lost, and the gnomon substituted in the 1990s was not historically accurate in its design. A gnomon of proper size and shape is essential to the function of a sundial, as shadows cast by the gnomon point to numbers on the dial, indicating time of day. Recently a new gnomon, based on historical photographs, was fabricated and installed, returning this historic sundial to its original appearance.

The technology of the sundial dates back to ancient Egypt and Babylon. For millennia sundials were the primary means of keeping time until reliable clocks were developed in the mid-seventeenth century, though sundials continued to serve an important function for the next two centuries. Because solar time varies from locality to locality, numerous time standards existed across the United States by the mid-nineteenth century.

With the advent of a national railroad system keeping reliable, standardized time across the country became essential to safe operations, and high quality clocks - not dependent upon the sun - became the preferred time keepers.

Because of their complexity sundials were expensive objects, purchased only by the wealthy for their gardens or for placement on important buildings. Sundials enjoyed a revival in America at the turn of the twentieth century when Whitehall’s sundial was made. In a 1904 House and Garden article, historian Alice Morse Earle commented on the sudden reappearance of the sundial: “Five years ago I could scarcely find ten sun-dials in America; now they are in scores of gardens, and on many public and private buildings.” A copy of Earle’s book on the subject, Sundials and Roses of Yesterday, is in the Flagler Museum’s collection.

Whitehall’s sundial was sent to Henry Flagler at Whitehall in November, 1903. Flagler’s correspondence indicates that it was sent from New York by the Reverend Clarence Woodman of the Catholic Missionary Society of Saint Paul the Apostle, better known as

Museum staff carefully place a new, historically accurate gnomon atop the sundial.


Page 14: Summer 2014 Inside Whitehall magazine

the Paulist Fathers. Reverend Woodman designed Whitehall’s sundial, and initialed it “C.E.W.” Woodman was an important designer of sundials, referred to by Alice Earle as “…the most skillful and accomplished worker in this line….his work is perfect,

and his knowledge profound and authoritative.” Though he was a priest by vocation, Reverend Woodman designed and provided mathematical calculations for some of the most important sundials in America. It is likely that Flagler met Woodman in St. Augustine, as the Reverend created and donated a sundial, copied after one at Oxford University, to the Catholic Cathedral Basilica of St. Augustine in 1894.

The face of Whitehall’s sundial is etched into a red limestone square, which sits atop a painted stone base. The remarkably complex face consists of concentric rings with inscriptions and numbers. The innermost ring, around the bronze gnomon, consists of a humorous traditional Latin inscription that reads “SINE SOLE SILEO,” which translates to “Without the sun, I am silent.” The next rings are inscribed with Arabic numerals to indicate standard time and Roman numerals for local time. Another ring identifies the location: “’Whitehall’ – Palm Beach – Florida

+ Latitude 26˚ 42’ 47” N. Longitude 80˚ 02’ 27” W.” Sundials must be designed for a specific latitude, and therefore the drawing of hour lines and angle of a gnomon must be carefully calculated by a mathematician for that specific latitude.

A small bronze plaque adjacent to the stone dial is a table, identified as “Equation of Time,” which is used to calculate exact time depending on time of year. Reverend Woodman is credited with developing this form of the Equation of Time table. The table lists the number of hours to be added to or subtracted from the time indicated by the shadow of the gnomon, depending on the calendar date. For example, the gnomon indicates correct time according to the dial on June 15, near the summer solstice, but by June 29, 3 minutes should be added to the apparent time. The table also includes the following note, which attests to the remarkable accuracy of the sundial: “Dial is one minute fast before Noon, and one minute slow after Noon.”

Woodman’s initials, “C.E.W.”, etched just above the north compass point of the sundial.

A ca. 1912 photograph of the Reverend Clarence E. Woodman, CSP, who designed Whitehall’s sundial. Paulist Fathers Archives, Washington, DC.

Page 15: Summer 2014 Inside Whitehall magazine

contributors, sponsors, &grantors

March 16 - June 16, 2014

$50,000 and aboveBonney Forge

$20,000 and aboveMr. & Mrs. William M. MatthewsNorthern TrustPalm Beach County Tourist Development CouncilStockman Family Foundation Trust

$10,000 and aboveMr. & Mrs. Frederick E. Hopkins, III Ms. Paige Rense Noland

$5,000 and aboveAbraham & Beverly Sommer FoundationFlorida Division of Cultural AffairsMrs. Betsy K. Matthews Max & Victoria Dreyfus Foundation

$1,000 and aboveAshton FoundationDonald G. & Beverly J. Oren Charitable Gift FundTory Burch, LLC Mrs. Beatriz A. FordMr. & Mrs. Frederic A. Sharf †

$500 and aboveMr. & Mrs. David Runkel in Memory of Mrs. Lee Ford & Mrs. Agnes Kirby

$100 and aboveMr. Tim Radigan BrophyMs. Alice D. Compagnone Garden Club of Palm BeachMr. & Mrs. Roger J. Hochstein Mr. & Mrs. Stephen Rothermel Ms. Dorris Smith †Mr. Moses Sternlieb

$25 and aboveMr. & Mrs. William GrabkowskiMr. & Mrs. Tom O’Donnell

† Denotes a full or partial in-kind contribution

new and renewing Members

March 16 - June 16, 2014

Corporate Memberships

President - $5,000Neuberger Berman

Individual Memberships

Flagler Associate - $5,000Mr. David M. Abbruzese & Miss Taylor MoskowitzMr. & Mrs. Juan C. BarillasMr. & Mrs. Michael Carabine Mr. Mark W. Cook Mr. & Mrs. Paul Emmett Ms. Margaret GiltinanMs. Patricia E. HerbertMr. & Mrs. Robert KayeMr. & Mrs. Joel Lansat Ms. Maria MatulaniecMr. Brent C. MeshierMr. Stan Starzyk Mr. & Mrs. Michael Williams

Benefactor - $2,500Mr. Michael A. Kovner & Mr. Jean Doyen de Montaillou Mr. & Mrs. Leo A. Vecellio, Jr.

Patron - $1,000Mr. & Mrs. Rand V. AraskogMr. Andrew J. Armstrong Mr. & Mrs. Ray Gilmartin Ms. Suzy HammondMr. & Mrs. Lars Henriksen Mr. & Mrs. James S. Karp Ms. Nancy J. Kyle Mr. & Mrs. J. Steven Manolis Mr. & Mrs. Sam Michaels Dr. & Mrs. Jeffrey H. Phillips

Page 16: Summer 2014 Inside Whitehall magazine

new and renewing Members March 16 - June 16, 2014


Patron - $1,000 (cont.)Mr. & Mrs. John J. RinkerMr. & Mrs. Shouky ShaheenMr. & Mrs. Dominick A. Telesco

Sponsor - $500Mr. & Mrs. Keith D. BeatyMs. Sarah BlazekMr. Eric C. Christu & Mrs. Maura Ziska Christu Ms. Vickie ConwayDr. Giselle Parry-Farris & Mr. Ray K. Farris, IIMrs. Beatriz A. FordMr. & Mrs. Elliot Goldstein Mr. & Mrs. Richard D. HorowitzMr. & Mrs. John Hsu Mr. & Mrs. Daniel Leever Mr. Lucius B. McKelvey Ms. Merry O’Donnell & Ms. Siobhan O’Donnell Mrs. Evelyn Richter Mr. & Mrs. Stanley M. Rumbough, Jr.Ms. Selma Terner SlaterMs. Melissa H. SullivanMr. & Mrs. William H. Told, Jr. Mr. Samuel J. Wornom, III

Sustaining - $225 Mr. G. Clifford Abromats & Ms. Janice WorobecMr. & Mrs. Guy Ashley, IIMrs. William B. AstropMr. & Mrs. Anthony Atkiss Ms. Josephine L. DuPont Bayard Mr. & Mrs. Robert Bentz Mr. & Mrs. William BouckDr. Elizabeth M. BowdenMr. & Mrs. Gordon Brown Mr. & Mrs. Shaun Castillo Mr. Phil Clark Mr. & Mrs. John P. Cohen

Mr. & Mrs. Erik DanaMs. Stephanie DobrininMr. & Mrs. Charles Eaton Dr. & Mrs. William Eckberg Mr. George T. ElmoreMr. & Mrs. Mitchell Evans Mrs. Marjorie FedermanMr. & Mrs. David Feldeisen Mr. Paul D. Flach & Ms. Daphne HogeMrs. Elayne Flamm Mr. & Mrs. John D. GeberthMr. & Mrs. Thomas GlanfieldMr. & Mrs. William Grabkowski Ms. Christine Hanke & Ms. Helene Hanke Mr. & Mrs. William HarshDr. Sharon Rife Hoffer Mrs. Lisa L. Huertas & Ms. Jill Leinbach Mr. & Mrs. C. Morgan JacksonMr. & Mrs. Eric M. Javits Ms. Kata JenkinsMr. & Mrs. Robert KelleyMr. William P. KingMr. & Mrs. Avery KlannMrs. Manola Kozar Mr. & Mrs. Raymond Kretschmer Mr. Keith Lang & Mrs. Lynn Stockford Lightner Museum Mr. Denis W. Loring & Mrs. Donna S. LevinMrs. Mary C. Macfarland & Mr. Russell MacfarlandMr. Glenn R. Martin Mr. & Mrs. Leigh A. McMakin Mr. & Mrs. Hosmer MorseMr. & Mrs. Ross Neville Mr. Gerald NicklasMr. & Mrs. Edward Pagett Mr. & Mrs. Charles PalmerMr. & Mrs. Louis J. Porreco Mr. & Mrs. Stephen RabbMr. & Mrs. Keith Ragon

Dr. & Mrs. G. David RaymondMr. & Mrs. E.H. Redman Mr. & Mrs. Rob Reveley Mr. & Mrs. Jay Roberts Mr. Pawan SinghMr. Kevin Scott & Ms. Lenore Folsom Slimback Mrs. Page W. Smith Mr. & Mrs. Robert B. Smith Mr. Charlie Tapper & Mrs. Ann Laurilliard Ms. Stephanie Thompson Mr. & Mrs. Robert G. Walker, Jr.Ms. Gloria Winston Mr. & Mrs. Richard Winter Mr. & Mrs. Scott Worley Ms. Josephine Wurster

Family - $125Dr. & Mrs. William AdkinsMs. Alison Beimler Mr. & Mrs. G. Thomas Breur Mr. & Mrs. John G. Brim The Honorable Gail L. Coniglio & Mr. Frank S. ConiglioMr. John Corey & Mr. Miguel Rosales Mr. & Mrs. W. Anthony Dowell Mr. & Mrs. David Dreyer Mr. & Mrs. Larry E. Duane Ms. Francine ElvinMr. & Mrs. Stephen Ehrlich Mr. & Mrs. Alexander L. Fanjul Ms. Doris Gilman & Mr. Burton PerskyMr. & Mrs. Kenneth L. Groves Ms. Patricia A. HeydlauffMr. & Mrs. Rick Hineman Ms. Jo Ann Hoffman & Ms. Christie Gibbons Mr. & Mrs. Frank P. HolecekMr. Shawn Holmgren & Ms. Susan Phillip

Page 17: Summer 2014 Inside Whitehall magazine

new and renewing Members March 16 - June 16, 2014


Family - $125 (cont.)Mr. Charles J. Horkan & Mr. James F. Woods Ms. Erin Koons Mr. Richard M. Korn Mr. & Mrs. Christopher M. LehmanMr. & Mrs. Robert LehrerMr. & Mrs. Ken Lewis Mr. Jack Lighton Dr. & Mrs. Manuel R. Lim Mr. & Mrs. Rafael R. LopezMs. Olexa Celine Mandelbaum Mrs. Shirley May & Ms. Kyle May Mr. Thomas O. McCarthy Mr. & Mrs. William J. McDonough Mr. & Mrs. Steven Miller Mr. & Mrs. Richard MorgensternMr. & Mrs. Daniel A. Mushegian Ms. Ekaterina PepplerMr. & Mrs. Ron Ponder Ms. Ruby Patterson Mr. & Mrs. Onno Robert Post Mr. & Mrs. David Stewart PrecytheMr. & Mrs. Sanderson Prescott The Honorable & Mrs. John W. Quade, Jr.Mr. Stephen Ramich & Ms. Cheryl Jean Baylor Mr. Vladimir Rankovic & Ms. Shirley Marinay Mrs. Marguerite M. Rosner Mr. & Mrs. Martin J. Schwalberg Ms. Fannie M. Shore & Mr. Robert ShoreMr. & Mrs. William H. Sned, Jr. Mr. & Mrs. Alvon Sparks, Jr. Mr. & Mrs. Jerome SternMr. & Mrs. William Swanson Mr. & Mrs. John Vakoutis Mr. & Mrs. William L. WaldeMr. & Mrs. James M. Walton Mr. & Mrs. Bill WilbyLady Susan Willis Mr. & Mrs. Peter Wilson

Individual - $75Ms. Sherri R. Bagnall Ms. Marguerite BrennanMrs. Dorothy Cabarle Ms. Pam Carelli Mr. Mark ap Catesby JonesMs. Lynne Colley Mrs. Louise G. Collins Ms. Alice D. Compagnone Mrs. Caryl CoppolaMrs. Roberta B. Daisley Mr. Jonathan DaitchMrs. Jaime DurneyMs. Jacqueline L. Ellis Ms. Janet L. Ellis Mrs. Janice M. Feinglass Mr. Rodger S. FowlerMs. Maureen R. Fox Mr. Richard Galley & Mrs. Constance GalleyMr. Peter Gentieu Ms. Carol Goldenhersh Ms. Heather Collins Grattan Ms. Sarah Greeley Ms. Zee Jay Greenspan Ms. Karen E. Hanlon Mrs. Annemarie Steiner HantosMr. Edward Heyniger Ms. Linda Hoberg Mr. Courtney Holmes Ms. Margaret Hooe Ms. Mary Ierardi Ms. Robi Jurney Ms. Susan King Mrs. Page KjellstromMs. Elizabeth Lindsay Kuhnke Mr. Roy G. KunnemannMrs. Carmela MalvoneMs. Elizabeth McGregor Mrs. John R. McLean Mrs. Barbara T. Missett Ms. Mary Pedone Ms. Judith K. Robinson

Mr. Vidal RodriguezMr. Wallace RogersMs. Rosalie SeidenbergMr. Ron W. Shaffer Ms. Sabina TorielloMs. Pauline Trautman Mr. Chet WancewiczMrs. Marie B. Weigl Mrs. Doris M. Welsch Ms. Laurie WelterothMs. Beverly White Yeager

Page 18: Summer 2014 Inside Whitehall magazine

The Museum Store

Whitehall Collection ChinaFull, 5pc Set Now Available

Featured in an array of Tropical ColorsIncludes Dinner & Dessert Plate, Salad Bowl, and Cup & Saucer

Price: $80 for set · Member Price: $72*Each piece also sold separately

Glass ‘Pate de Verre’ Earrings Price: $225 · Member Price: $202.50

Pearl Drop EarringsMade in ItalyRock crystal, Hand-carved Shell CameoPrice: $180 · Member Price: $162

Handmade Filigree Jewelry 24k Gold over Silver, Enameled,& Set with Semi-precious Stones

Necklace: Price: $340 · Member Price: $306Bracelet: Price: $375 · Member Price: $337.50

Page 19: Summer 2014 Inside Whitehall magazine

Summer Book SaleNow through Labor Day

Receive 20% OffSelect Museum Store Books

Page 20: Summer 2014 Inside Whitehall magazine

A National Historic Landmark

One Whitehall WayPalm Beach, Florida 33480

FLAGLER MUSEUMh e n r y m o r r i s o n

palm beach, florida

Upcoming Events Independence Day July 4, 20148:00 p.m.By invitation onlyFlagler Museum Members at the Sustaining level and above are invited to enjoy the best view of the West Palm Beach fireworks from the Flagler Kenan Pavilion. The celebration includes a reading of the Declaration of Independence, live music, a swearing-in ceremony of new citizens, and refreshments. To upgrade your membership level, or become a Museum Member, contact the Membership Department today.

Weekly Organ DemonstrationsEach Sunday in July, September, November (except July 6)3:30 p.m.Free with Museum AdmissionThe original 1,249-pipe J.H. & C.S. Odell Co. organ can be heard on Sundays. Gilded Age pieces written for the organ and popular piano pieces arranged for organ will be performed.

Weekly Piano DemonstrationsEach Sunday in June, August, October (and July 6)3:30 p.m.Free with Museum AdmissionWhitehall’s original Steinway Model B art-case grand piano in the Drawing Room can be heard Sunday afternoons. Hear music popular during the Gilded Age performed.

Grandparents DaySeptember 7, 201412:00 p.m. - 5:00 p.m.Free with Museum AdmissionThe Museum’s founder, Jean Flagler Matthews, was the granddaughter of Henry Flagler. She preserved Whitehall and its collections to honor her grandfather. Share your own family history by celebrating Grandparents Day at the Flagler Museum. Tour Whitehall with a Tour and Activity Guide for Kids and then visit the Flagler Kenan Pavilion to enjoy the family activities.

For more information, please call the Flagler Museum at (561) 655-2833 •

Nonprofit OrganizationU.S. PostagePAID

West Palm Beach, FL Permit No. 1831

Sponsored in part by the State of Florida, Department of State, Division of Cultural Affairs and the Florida Council on Arts and Culture.