Student Notices 22nd Feb
Embed Size (px)
Transcript of Student Notices 22nd Feb
- 1. Weekly Student Notices22 ndFebruary 2010
2. 3. Rave reviews Are you in a band? Are you a solo artist? Would you like the opportunity to have feedback from Huw Stephens andAndy Rogers? BBC Radio 1 industry panel will be on during industry week, Tuesday 9 thMarch 13.00-14.30pm. Submit your CD to EST for this great opportunity. 4. 5.
- INDUSTRY WEEK PARTY -GOLDIE
- TICKETS ARE SELLING FAST
- Dont miss out- get yours for just 2 from reception TODAY!
6. Any Questions? Do you have any questions youd like to ask our industry guests?Fill in the question card given to you by your tutor and return it to them. Filling in a card will automatically enter you in a prize draw to win signed merchandise from our guests. 7.
- Clive Gardiner
- Clive is SVP of Digital Music at We7, with broad commercial experience gained over 25 years of senior roles in entertainment media, music, technology and digital. Past roles include 2 MD positions at BMG, and regional business development roles in Europe and in Asia.Clive has also worked as a musician, songwriter, arranger/ producer, A&R man, DJ, artist-manager, promoter, video producer and music programmer. Clives current project is We7, founded by Peter Gabriel. It delivers music how people want itfree and with no restrictions, whether they want to listen now (stream) or listen later (download).Last week Clive was in the very privileged position of choosing Brit winners as part of the Brit Awards Panel 2010.
- Industry Week Sign Up
- If you have signed up at EST expressing your interest in a place at any of the great Industry Week sessions, your tutor will inform you of your secured placethis week .
9. 10. 11. 2010 Creative ContestDo not miss your chance to join and have your 5min film or song reviewed by an a panel of creative professionals including Paul Staveley - O'Duffyand Ash Atalla. Prizes include Apple hardware and software, a trip to London for the Awards Ceremony and your work available on iTunes! For more information and to register by 14 thMarch go to:www.aatcecontest.com 12.
- Fairtrade Fortnight
- Fairtrade Fortnight runs from 22 ndFebruary to 7 thMarch.
- To find out what items you can swap for more Fairtrade friendly alternative visit:
- Castle Radio
- The new Castle College AMRadio Stationis to be set up to run along the lines of a Student Union society.This gives Confetti studentsmanyexiting opportunities in terms of helping to run the station and providing or developing content for transmission.
- If youre interested in helping to run the Radio Station please email[email_address]for more information
- Student Forum
- The next Student Forum meeting takes place onWednesday 24 thFebruary at 12noon .
- Meeting minutes from the last meeting can be found on the student notice board and your group representatives should all be able to provide details for you.
- You have four weeks to discuss last terms meeting minutes and any new issues you would like your student representatives to raise on your behalf for this term.
- LGBT History Month
- February of each year has been set aside in the UK to mark and celebrate the lives and achievements of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Trans people.
- LGBT people have often hidden themselves in society for their own safety and have also frequently been ignored by others for their achievements and contributions.The month will begin to rectify that.
- Because the lives and achievements of LGBT people have been hidden, it has been easy for others to stereotype and distort the reality of their lives. From this ignorance comes the prejudice that shows itself in homophobic bullying and negative discrimination. By presenting an honest appraisal of LGBT lives we seek to replace ignorance with knowledge and understanding.
- Check out the LGBT History website ( www. lgbthistorymonth .org.uk )or the LGBT History Month stand in the Confetti caf on Tuesday 9 thFebruary for more information and to show your support!
- Tickets to the Valentine Masquerade Ball will also be on sale.
- No smoking outside reception
- Please be reminded the centre courtyard is the only space where you are permitted to smoke on Confetti premises.
- Youmust notsmoke outside reception or under the covered section of the courtyard.
- For information on how to quit, visit
- Confettis LRC
- Its great to see so many students getting the new year off to a good start by making good use of our library and computer facilities in the LRC.
- Please remember the LRC is located next to reception where a member of staff will be waiting to assist you with loaning and returning of books.
- Facebook / YouTube in the LRC
- From this week, Facebook and YouTube are blocked on the LRC computers. This is in response to a large number of requests from students who have been unable to access a machine to complete course work.
- If you would like to check your emails or use Facebook or YouTube, the computers in the student cafe have been updated over half term to allow access with your Confetti username and password.Give them a try!
- In addition to these upgrades, you will notice a small widget on the top right hand side of your desk top in the LRC and in the caf.
- In addition to it having handy calendar and calculator apps, it is regularly updated with useful information and news designed especially for you.
- As you spot an update that youd like to learn more about, just click on the link!
- Calling all BND Music Tech Students!
- Were putting together a Confetti CD of BND Music Technology student tracks andwe want your tunes !
- The best tracks will be chosen by a panel of tutors, mastered and put on to a CD which will be given to visitors and future students of Confetti. They could even be featured on the Confetti website!
- For your chance to appear on the CD please give your track to your personal tutor or email an mp3 to[email_address] .
- Tracks must be submitted by Friday 26 thMarch 2010 at the latest.
- Cultural Calendar
- Thu 25 Feb-Fast of Esther (Taanit Esther) (Jewish )
- A fast in commemoration of the fast of Mordechai and Esther. This is not a major Jewish fast.
- Fri 26 Feb- Milad un Nabi (Birthday of the Prophet Muhammad) (Muslim )
- Shia Muslims celebrate this 5 days later. Some Muslims do not approve of celebrating the birthday, and regard doing so as a religious innovation.
- Sun 28 Feb- Holi (Hindu )
- The Hindu spring festival.
- Sun 28 Feb- Purim (Jewish )
- Purim commemorates the time when the Jewish people living in Persia were saved from extermination by the courage of a young Jewish woman called Esther.
- Mon 1 Mar- Shushan Purim (Jewish )
- In some places Purim is celebrated one day later. In this case it is called Shushan Purim.
- Mon 1 Mar- Hola Mohalla (Lunar Calendar)(Sikh )
- Hola Mohalla is three day festival of military exercises and mock battles, together with religious discussions and devotional music, at Anandpur Sahib on the day after Holi.
- Mon 1 Mar- St David's Day (Christian )
- Saint David, or Dewi Sant as he's called in the Welsh language, is the patron saint of Wales.
- Tue 2 Mar- Nineteen Day Fast (start) (Bahai )
- Ends 20 March. During this period Baha'is go without food or drink from sunrise to sunset.