Structured Data Primer -- Web 3.0 & Semantic Search
Embed Size (px)
Transcript of Structured Data Primer -- Web 3.0 & Semantic Search
- @twitterhandle #SESATL The Emergence of Web 3.0 Leveraging Structured Data in a New World of SEO & Search @PersuasiveData Aaron Abbott SEO and Analytics Manager Prominent Placement @PersuasiveData @ProminentPlcmnt Wyn Partington VP of Marketing NexTraq @WPinAtlanta
- @twitterhandle #SESATL Web 3.0 The Semantic Web Web 2.0 Web 1.0 User- Generated Content Social Influence & Consumer Voice Computers Understanding & Leveraging Data Predicting Consumer Needs Web 2.0 Web 1.0 Connecting Data Sources Business, Schools, Government & People Sharing Information Web 3.0 @PersuasiveData This is the era of the Internet where programmed computer applications can understand what content is, both contextually & subjectively; and what it does for the person searching, accessing, or sharing this content. The semantic meaning, the purpose/intent behind a piece of content can be indexed and served.
- @twitterhandle #SESATL The Need for Hummingbird @PersuasiveData Google changed their engines transmissionallowing the right content to rank higher! Rolled out at the same time as 100% (not provided). Lets call this the algorithm update that focuses on processing the human language (synonyms). Leverages the increasing voice-based and image-based searches on mobile devices. Getting out of the Caffeine sandbox and away from content that was optimized for single keywords. Looking for the content that contained these longer search phrases and solves the need of the inferred search intent. Not necessarily dependent on Structured Data; but everything helps!
- @twitterhandle #SESATL Structured Data in Human Terms @PersuasiveData Structured data is the unified foundation that gives website owners and content developers the ability to tell computers (search engines, social networks, mobile applications, and future technologies not yet conceived) What the content is, in relation to its physical purpose. A video is a video that can be watched. What the content means to the end user. I need to watch a video to learn something. The labeling properties used with Structured Data allow search engines to essentially distribute parts of the whole to the end user a mechanism for their evolution into a knowledge based experience that responds to your anticipated needs, determined by learned behaviors.
- @twitterhandle #SESATL Unstructured Data: The Internets Dirty Laundry @PersuasiveData Laundry is not just rinse and wash. Its also fold and put away. Dont just build your site and your content. Fold it and put it away for the Web.
- @twitterhandle #SESATL What are Rich Snippets? @PersuasiveData An invaluable & free improvement to your search results, just for using Structured Data.
- @twitterhandle #SESATL Googles Knowledge Graph & Bings Snapshot @PersuasiveData Giving you all the information you need, so you dont have to keep looking
- @twitterhandle #SESATL Freebase & Knowledge Graph (like Bings Satori) @PersuasiveData Allows us to move from an information engine, into a knowledge engine Johanna Wright, Knowledge Graphs Product Management Director
- @twitterhandle #SESATL Update Your Freebase Entities @PersuasiveData Its simple to sign up; just use your Google Account. This pulls from all over the Web, then you get to refine most of it... Sign in to freebase.com Search for your Topic, Brand, Song, etc Edit or Create Data as Needed
- @twitterhandle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v Structured Data Connects the Big Data Dots @PersuasiveData Website Owners & Digital Marketing Solutions Health, Sciences, Research & Government Future Technologies, Products, Applications & Services
- @twitterhandle #SESATL The Fat Boys Conundrum Think Google now @PersuasiveData Did you mean BBQ or Music? When I have Structured Data, I can predict your anticipated need and find you the solution! If you are sitting at home and its 1:30 AM on Friday, I can assume you want some music. If you are driving around at 5:30 PM and youre just three miles away from Fat Boys BBQ, I can fetch the address and the launch your navigation from a single voice-based search for Fat Boys.
- @twitterhandle #SESATL Structured Data for Fat Boys BBQ (Restaurants) @PersuasiveData Ratings Restaurant Location Phone Number Hours Type of Food Served Prices Name
- @twitterhandle #SESATL Structured Data for The Fat Boys (Music Groups) @PersuasiveData Music Video Music Group Music Video Description Song by the Group Song Name The Album Name of Group Link to Song Duration of Song Total Plays Link to Purchase Link to Play Song Name of Video Thumbnail Image Video Length
- @twitterhandle #SESATL Structured Data Code Explained @PersuasiveData Structured Data is born from microdata, a set of tags introduced with HTML5. Itemscope specifies that the HTML content contained in this section (, ,
,, etc.) is about a particular item and everything in this section relates to the Itemtype. Itemtype then specifies the type. This is why it follows the Itemscope immediately. Itemprop represents a label for a particular attribute of the type of content. Itemref can help pull attribution from another HTML section by referencing the CSS ID. can always be utilized to add additional required Itemprop labels. Think Nesting! The same Itemprops can live in different Itemtypes. For example, the logo Itemprop can live within Brand and Organization Itemtypes. The example above identifies the preferred logo for the NexTraq organization. This will help ensure that the right logo is accessed, indexed, and shared.
- @twitterhandle #SESATL Determining Structured Data Types @PersuasiveData You can start with the recommendations of the Structured Data Markup Helper and then move into the full list of data types at http://schema.org/docs/documents.html. IMPORTANT: YOU CAN DEFINE NEW DATA WITH THE EXTENSION MECHANISM! These are of great value for each and every B2B and B2C business: Organization Information Brand Identity Logos Web Page Elements Blog Posts Videos Case Studies Whitepapers Original Reviews sameAs
- @twitterhandle #SESATL And Dont Forget Your Emails! @PersuasiveData Adding Structured Data to your emails helps your email client create an interactive email experience, based on your immediate needs. Is this a peak into Web 4.0, a Behavioral Web?
- @twitterhandle #SESATL A Structured Data Integration Workflow @PersuasiveData gets you started with < Manually Structuring Your Data /> The Structured Data Markup helper will help you master the art of marking up your content. The Helper is limited by available Types and Labels use it as a starting point! You can use the schema.org vocabulary along with the Microdata, RDFa, or JSON-LD formats to add information to your HTML content. http://schema.org/docs/gs.html Start by choosing the Itemtype. Then add the URL or use your HTML.
- @twitterhandle #SESATL Setting the Labels for your Content @PersuasiveData Select Content Choose Appropriate Label Information Gets Added Here Click Here When Done If you dont have all the information you need to markup an Itemtype, scroll My Data Items down to Add missing tags
- @twitterhandle #SESATL Preview Your Code & Download the HTML @PersuasiveData
- @twitterhandle #SESATL Add the Markup to Your Page & Test @PersuasiveData You can test with a URL, on a staging server or a live version. You may also paste in your HTML by switching to HTML.
- @twitterhandle #SESATL Passing the Test @PersuasiveData * Red error messages will display when something is incorrect.
- @twitterhandle #SESATL NexTraqs Need for Page 1 Rankings Fleet Tracking @PersuasiveData
- @twitterhandle #SESATL Leveraging Case Studies on Fleet Tracking Page @PersuasiveData Added Fleet Tracking case study to the page. Created jQuery-based show/hide function that contains on-page version of the Case Study for immediate acc