Singapore. Find Singapore Singapore Singapore: Singapore city.
Embed Size (px)
Transcript of Singapore. Find Singapore Singapore Singapore: Singapore city.
- Slide 1
- Slide 2
- Find Singapore
- Slide 3
- Slide 4
- Slide 5
- Singapore: Singapore city
- Slide 6
- In 1965, Singapore gained its independence from which Country? a)France b)Spain c)Great Britain
- Slide 7
- Singapore is a city-state (224 square miles) A city-state is an independent country whose territory consists solely of a single major city and the area immediately surrounding it. Two other city-states are: Vatican City Monaco
- Slide 8
- Singapores port is one the busiest in the world
- Slide 9
- Singapore does not produce this product, but its refining center is one of the largest. What product is it? a)Oil b)Water c)Bauxite
- Slide 10
- Who lives in Singapore? Approx 4.86 million people Singapore is highly diverse; Chinese people form an ethnic majority, along with large populations of Malay, Indian and other people. Official Languages are: English, Malay, Tamil, and Chinese
- Slide 11
- Singapore is an entrepot port Entrepot: an intermediary center of trade and transshipment. An entrept (from the French "warehouse") is a trading post where merchandise can be imported and exported without paying import duties, often at a profit.
- Slide 12
- Goods like circuits, computer, or communication equipment are imported to Singapore, and they are immediately re-exported to other countries Why do it? Reluctance of ships to travel the entire length of a long trading route, so they sell to the entrept instead. The entrept then sells at a higher price to ships travelling the other segment of the route. Singapore is an entrepot port
- Slide 13
- $$$ Working in Singapore $$$ Fourth largest foreign exchange trading centre in the world after London, New York City and Tokyo. Singapore is considered to be one of the top centers of finance in the world and throughout the region. Singapore has been rated as the most business-friendly economy in the world with thousands of foreign expatriates working in multi-national corporations.