Simple present and present continuous
Embed Size (px)
Transcript of Simple present and present continuous
- 1. Simple Present vs. Present Continuous When do we use each tense?
2. Remember :
- Grammar hasmeaning!
- Different grammar tenses are used in different situations or contexts and they carry different meanings.
- For example . . .
- Use thesimple presentfor:
- 1) action that happens repeatedly (habitual action)
- 2) general or permanent situations
- 3) facts
- Use thepresent continuousfor:
- Something that is happening now or close to the time of speaking
- 2) A temporary situation
Examples . . . 4.
- Simple Present (Examples)
- 1) Habitual Action:
- Tomgoesfishing every week.
- I usuallyworkuntil 2:00 p.m.
- My familycomesto visit me every year.
- *Frequency adverbs: these adverbs are commonly used with simple present:
- Always, never, usually, rarely, sometimes, often, etc.
- Simple Present (More Examples)
- 2) General or Permanent Situations:
- My familylivesfar away.
- Jackdoesnt workon Saturday.
- Beth and Toanworkat ECC.
- 3) Facts:
- The Earthisround.
- Waterboilsat 100 degrees Celsius.
- The Eiffel Towerisin Paris.
- Present Continuous (Examples)
- 1) Action happening now or close to time of speaking:
- Wheres Tom? He s playingsoccer.
- Dont bother the kids. Theyare doingtheir homework.
- 2) Temporary situations:
- Martha and her husbandare travelingaround Europe for two weeks.
- Lisais livingwith friends until she finds an apartment.
- Present Continuous . . .
- We often use the present continuous (and not simple present) when action continues over a period of time.
- this week, this semester, this year
- I m working50 hours this week.
- She s takingan Italian class this semester.
- This year, I m trying
- to cut back on junk food.
- Grammar Structure:
- Here are some reminders about how tomakethe simple present and present continuous:
9. Simple Present:
- The most important thing to remember about this tense is . . .
- 3 rdperson singular (he, she, it)
- We say :
work 10. Simple Present:
- But for 3 rdperson singular, we say . . .
work s 11. The verb BE
- Remember the forms of verb BE for the simple present tense:
- I AM
- He, She, It IS
- They, We, You ARE
12. Simple Present (Negative)
- For all verbs (EXCEPTbe ), use:
doesn't don't simple form of VERB + Examples . . . 13.
- 1) Sara works on Sunday. Saradoesnt workon Sunday. 2) They have a big house. Theydont havea big house. 3) Sam takes classes at night. Samdoesnt takeclasses at night. 4) I have a lot of free time. Idont havea lot of free time.
- VERB BE(Negative)
- For this verb ONLY,never use doesnt or dont .Simple ADD the wordNOTafter the verb.
- I am tired. I amNOTtired.
- She is rich. She isNOTrich.
- They are here. They areNOThere.
15. Present Continuous:
- Dont forget that VERB BE is part of this structure.
- You, We, They ARE
- He, She, It IS
verb -ING + 16.
- Everyoneis studyinghard.
- Theyare celebratingtheir 40 thanniversary today.
- Iam cleaningmy house this week.
- Present Continuous(Negative)
- For this tense, simply ADD the wordNOTafter the verb BE.
- They are working today.
- They areNOTworking today.
- She is taking a Math class.
- She isNOTtaking a Math class.
- Important Note about
- Present Continuous!
- Some verbs are NOT typically used in the present continuous tense.Instead, we prefer to use these verbs in the simple present.
- These verbs are calledSTATIVE(or non-action) verbs. Here are some examples:
- want like love hate
- know need see hear
- believe understand have (possession)
- forget remember belong
- NOT: I am liking Rome.
- Shehasa big house.
- NOT: She is having a big house.
- Ipreferto have coffee.
- NOT: I am preferring to have coffee.
_____________ _____________ _____________ 20.
- Do these exercises with your class.
- Choose the simple present or present continuous and discusswhyeach is correct.
- 1. On Tuesdays, I ________ (go) to the gym.
- 2. Karen ________ (paint) her apartment this week.
- 3. This room __________ (be) very large.
- 4. He _________ (have) a headache right now.
- 5. It ________ (rain) really hard right now.
- 6. Where is John? He _______ (work).
- 7. I ________ (meet) my friend in a few minutes.
- 8. My family ________ (come) to San Diego often.
- 1.On Tuesdays , Igoto the gym.
- 2. Karenis paintingher apartmentthis week .
- 3. This roomisvery large.(fact)
- 4. Hehasa headache right now.(stative)
- 5. Itis rainingreally hardright now .
- 6. Where is John? Heis working .(right now)
- 7. Iam meetingmy friendin a few minutes .
- 8. My familycomesto San Diegooften .
- For more practice . . .
- 1) Go to ourclass website :
- 2) On the right side, click onGrammar Site .Then click on330 .
- 3) Click onGrammar , and then go down the page toVerbs .Click on theSimple Present or Present Continuous?for explanation and practice.
- And . . .
- Remember to ask your teacher or another classmate if you need help.
- Your teacher can give you more explanation, examples, and exercises if you need them.