SEO Success Factors 2014
Embed Size (px)
SMX Advanced 2014 Session #SMX #11A - The Periodic Table Of SEO Ranking Factors: 2014 Edition - SEO Success Factors 2014 By Matthew Brown @Matthewjbrown Of Moz For more on SEO visit http://searchengineland.com
Transcript of SEO Success Factors 2014
- Cool SERP, bro!
- SERPs arent as easy to backsolve
- 5 Hummingbird its a new engine
- So how do we interpret studies like this? Does this mean rankings are all about getting Google +1s?
- These are hints. Not ranking factors. Read: Correlation does not equal causation Correlation does not imply causation Edward Tufte says this is better: "Correlation is not causation but it sure is a hint."
- Cyrus has a great ranking factors deck: http://www.slideshare.net/cyrusshepard
- "I think backlinks still have many, many years left in them," he said. "But inevitably what we're trying to do is figure out how an expert user would say this particular page matched their information needs. And sometimes backlinks matter for that." Links = very much alive.* http://searchenginewatch.com/article/2343363/Matt-Cutts-Google-Wont-Devalue-Links-
- External Anchor Text http://moz.com/rand/imec-lab/ Competitive phrases are tougher to move, but still hold up in testing.
- Internal Anchor Text http://www.greenlaneseo.com/blog/2014/01/old-school-seo-tests-action/
- Keyword strings in titles, METAs, etc.
- Mark up ALL THE THINGS?
- Absolute Rankings Rankings are part of my reporting, but near the back now Rankings will be dead within one year I still report rankings, but as a composite metric. Not individual rankings.
- Entity-based optimization
- http://www.seobythesea.com/2014/01/entity- associations-websites-related-entities/
- http://www.blindfiveyearold.com/knowledge- graph-optimization
- Localized organic results
- Takeaway: All the search engines are building for the mobile future.
- Googles move to Local KG
- Takeaway: Hummingbird requires us to test SEO assumptions. http://webmeup.com/blog/seo-experiments.html
- Takeaway: Optimize content around entities and relationships.
- Takeaway: Every site has its own set of success factors