SDR â€“ SOFTWARE DEFINED RADIO - SDR â€“ SOFTWARE DEFINED RADIO SDR RECEIVER DEMO Andy,...
Embed Size (px)
Transcript of SDR â€“ SOFTWARE DEFINED RADIO - SDR â€“ SOFTWARE DEFINED RADIO SDR RECEIVER DEMO Andy,...
SDR – SOFTWARE DEFINED RADIO
SDR RECEIVER DEMO Andy, VE3FYA Chip, VA3KGB
Kingston Amateur Radio Club 7 Jan 2015
WHAT IS SDR?
• SDR – Software Defined Radio • Hardware is used to receive/transmit a
signal • Software is used to process the signal • The computer does all the hard work so
the radio can be of simpler design
• Upgrades or features can be added or expanded through software/firmware updates
• Hardware of the radio in most cases does not need to be changed unless going outside the original design specs
• Software upgrade will access newer features
• For example: – A radio’s hardware is designed to work certain
bands including future bands that are currently not available.
– The initial software/firmware release would not allow transmitting on the future bands
– When future bands become legal software/firmware upgrade would allow transmit function
• Flex Radio series of transceivers: – Expensive but very versatile
• SDR Receivers – Dedicated SDR Receivers costing up to
$1,000 or more, for example Perseus • SDR USB Dongle Receivers
– Based on R820T – Cheap $10 up – Does not receive HF without an Upconverter
• 100KHz-1.7GHz • R820T+8232 • Built in upconverter
for HF • USB for power and
connection • 2 antenna
connectors • $60 Cdn
• Variety of FREE software • Examples:
– SDR# (SDRSharp) – HDSDR – Gqrx SDR – SeeDeR – SDR Touch (Android) – Requires OTG cable – And others
• Windows Driver: Zadig
• READ and FOLLOW the instructions for the software you are using especially the Zadig driver installation.
• Turn up the RF Gain or you will not receive anything!
• For HF you need to use the “Q” parameter • See RTL-SDR.com Quick Start User
Guide • “Run as Administrator” for Win 7/8
SDR# (SDR Sharp)
HAM USES of SDR RCVR • General purpose receiver to listen to signals • Panoramic display of frequencies to see where
other stations are – can also be tapped into IF of your transceiver, kits
available for some radios • Connect to other software to decode various
modes such as CW, PSK31, APRS, ACARS, SSTV, etc – Requires a virtual cable software such as:
• VB-Cable (Free, max sample rate of 96k) • Virtual Audio Cable ( $25+, max sample rate of 192k)
• SDR# (SDRSharp) - www.sdrsharp.com • HDSDR – www.hdsdr.de • Gqrx SDR – www.gqrx.dk • SeeDeR -
www.southernstars.com/skycube/seeder.html • SDR Touch (Android)- www.sdrtouch.com • Windows Driver: Zadig if not provided with
SDR program download: http://zadig.akeo.ie/
LINKS • VB-Cable –
http://vb-audio.pagesperso-orange.fr/Cable/ • Virtual Cable –
http://software.muzychenko.net/eng/vac.htm • Panoramic Adaptor Tap Board –
http://g4hup.com/PAT.htm • RTL-SDR USB Tuner Receiver –
- type rtl-sdr usb tuner receiver: – www.ebay.ca – www.google.ca
• In the true spirit of Amateur Radio, on this cold night of -30 with the wind chill, an expedient antenna has been deployed!
• And now for the SDR live demo.