REST Easy with Deployd
Embed Size (px)
Transcript of REST Easy with Deployd
- 2. What is Deployd?In a nutshellDeployd allows you to design, build and scaleAPIs for web and mobile apps in minutes.Its free, and open source.
- 3. It even comes with a full dashboard system toallow you to create and manage your collectionAPIs, create Events and insert/edit datarecords.Its built on top of Node.JS and MongoDB soyou know its going to be fast, and scalable.
- 4. Create RESTful APIsthrough designDeployd is built around a series of REST callsthat lets you create CRUD collections(GET, DEL, PUT, POST).
- 5. The Deployd Dashboard
- 6. Scripted Logic throughEventsIt uses Events for each of the REST methodsto allow you to intercept calls and inject yourown business logic code.
- 7. Events Logic Screen
- 8. Access OtherCollections & JoinResultsYou can use the built-in DPD library to accessother collections in your Deployd database andscript business logic based on those queries
- 9. Accessing Collections viaDPD
- 10. Full User login, logoutand creation support outof the boxYou can use the built-in user collection type toautomatically manage your systemlogins, logouts and user creations.
- 11. You can restrict accessto certain REST calls bythrowing cancel
- 12. As well as throwingerrors, determining if aproperty has changed &moreprotect() = dont allow updates for this propertyprevious() = object containing previous item valueschanged() = informs if a property item was updatedhide() = hides a property in your REST responseerror() / errorif() = adds an error message to theresponse
- 13. Use Modules to performtasks that Deployddoesnt already do..Theres a number of Deployd modules alreadyavailable for sending e-mail and get files fromAmazon S3, amongst other things.Theyre based on Node Packages, so you can re-use any Node.JS package with NPM!
- 14. So, what is it good for?A Case StudySmarter Learn Education Portal & Analytics Enginewww.smarterlearn.com
- 15. Smarter Learn
- 16. The BriefBuild a system that was:Able to create APIs on the flyHighly scalable with high availabilityCould easily be integrated into both web and mobileAnd above all, cheap!
- 17. How we did itCloud servers are amazing.Built on top of Linux Cloud servers via RackspaceExternal MongoDB connectionWe can scale as required (e.g. on launch of a newgame)Allows us to easily install Load BalancingAnalytics get stored long term into a MySQL Cloudserver
- 18. Overcoming obstaclesNothing is perfect.We built a custom token-based authentication system,We extended Forever scripts to ensure better up-time,Long running API calls can use significant temporarymemory dont run Deployd without at least 1GB+ RAM.IE 8.Node modules allow you to easily overcome any obstacles!
- 19. The end resultThousands of API calls per hourEasily built into a Responsive Website and an appto come using DeploydsAppcelerator Titanium Module
- 20. The end result
- 21. The end result
- 22. Even if its not your firstchoice for productionIt is an amazing quick and easy way to build outAPIs for websites, mobile apps or justprototyping ideas.
- 23. Theres a tonne ofexamples atDeployd.comTheres plenty of sample apps at Deployd.com thatshow what you can do with the system, includingintegration with AngularJS and other Node.JS basedsystems.GitHub Sourcehttp://github.com/deployd
- 24. Super Awesome FastPrototype Time