What does it take to execute an effective social media campaign? How does it dovetail with traditional media strategies, and what tools are specifically helpful to the faith community? Meg Biallas from the nonprofit Shepherding the Next Generation will outline characteristics of a social media campaign using examples from the Blue Sunday campaign, which mobilized churches to recognize a national day of prayer for abused and neglected children.
1. Religion Communicators Council DC Chapter November 14, 2012 #RCCsocmed
2. WELCOME! IM MEG.Communications Associate @ Shepherding the NextGeneration.Nonprofit Social Media Consultant.Brand Ambassador.
3. TRY THIS: Write your organizations mission in 140 characters or less.
4. DEFINE: SOCIAL MEDIA CAMPAIGN-> Drives audience to a defined action-> Leverages social media channels-> Engages users in a two-way conversation
5. SOCIAL MEDIA WILL NOTSAVE YOUR ORGANIZATION (OR YOUR SOUL).
6. CASE STUDY: BLUE SUNDAY 2012
7. IDENTIFY GOAL.Use S.M.A.R.T. method.Goal: Raise awareness of child abuse prevention efforts. -> Get churches to sign up to participate in Blue Sunday. -> Pass benchmark of 100 Facebook fans. -> Host audio news conference for religion reporters -> Place op-ed on Crosswalk.com. -> Earned media coverage in Christian outlets http://www.bethkanter.org/25-smart/
8. ASSESS YOUR CURRENT ABILITIES.Borrowed from Beths Blog and Barnraisers LLC http://ow.ly/eKsrU
10. CREATE A LISTENING DASHBOARD. Blogs Twitter Facebook Comments Google Alerts Online news sites
11. LEARN FROM ALLIES.Learn from your allies --- those who will helpspread your message. These are your keyinfluencers.
12. LEARN FROM ROLE MODELS.
13. ENGAGE.Dont be afraid of the two-way conversation.Ask allies to share online.Tweet religion reporters.Create a Media Corner.Say thanks.Ask a question.
14. CALL TO ACTION. http://www.shepherdingthenextgeneration.org/blog/social-media-a-catalyst-for-change
15. EXECUTE.CREATE DESIRABLE, SHAREABLE CONTENT. Calendar of content. Photos each day. Tweets each day. Weekly blog posts. Promo video. Facebook banners.
16. MEASURE.But I went into communications so I DIDNT have to domath!
17. MEASURE. Start small After-Action Reviews Blue Sundays top content: 20% of traffic during campaign went to landing page Should guide future campaigns http://www.bethkanter.org/aar/
18. ANALYZE.GOAL: To raise awareness of child abuse preventionefforts. -> Churches signed up for Blue Sunday: 500. -> Surpass 100 Facebook fans: 120. -> Place op-ed on Crosswalk.com: Yes. -> Earned media coverage: Christian Post, Christianity Today, Moody Radio.