Relax To The Max
Embed Size (px)
Transcript of Relax To The Max
- 1.7 Keys to Improve Your Health by Reducing Stress Relax to the Max PAIGE RENNEKAMP, CNHP DEB KITT, CNHP, TRADITIONAL N.D. WWW.NATURALHEALTHANSWERS.COMWWW.DEBKITT.COM PAIGE@MYNSP.COM[email_address] 303-757-8673303-678-5444 DISCLAIMER: THE FOLLOWING PRESENTATION IS NOT MEANT TO DIAGNOSE, CURE OR PRESCRIBE.
2. Definition of Stress
- A mentally or emotionally disruptive or upsetting condition occurring in response to adverse external influences and capable of affecting physical health, usually characterized by increased heart rate, a rise in blood pressure, muscular tension, irritability, and depression.
- Stress Begins with Perception
- Stress chemicals are released whenever the brain perceives a stressful experience (whether real or imaginary)
- Change your perception and you change your stress level
3. There are 3 Stagesof Stress
- Stage One: Alarm Phase
- Stage Two: Resistance Stage
- Stage Three: Exhaustion Stage
4. Alarm Phase
- Medulla in brain triggers the sympathetic nervous system
- Hypothalamus and pituitary release ACTH to stimulated the brain cortex
5. Resistance Stage
- Person resists causes of stress
- Nutrients start to become depleted, glands weaken
- Person feels chronically stressed, starts to tire
6. Exhaustion Stage
- Nutrients become depleted
- Adrenals become exhausted resulting in low levels of DHEA and cortisol
- Person feels burned-out
7. Stress is Regulated by Chemical Messengers from the Nervous And Glandular Systems
- The Nervous System Creates the initial, but short-lived reactions to stress
- The Glandular System creates the longer lasting reactions to stress
8. Seven Keysto Stress-Less
- Breathe Deeply
- Avoid Caffeine and Other Stimulants
- Avoid Sugar and Other Simple Carbs
- Exercise Regularly
- Feed Your Nerves
- Supplement with Adaptagens and Nervines
- Practice the Relaxation Response
9. Stress-Less Key #1 Breathe Deeply
- The diaphragm is the only muscle in the body that is under both conscious and unconscious control
- Learn to pay attention to your breath and you can learn to soothe your own nervousness, fears, anxieties, etc.
- Breathing Pattern for Relaxation is Slow Deep and Even
10. Benefits of Deep Breathing
- Relieves pain and reduces inflammation
- Alkalizes the pH
- Centers the emotions
- Calms the sympathetic and activates parasympathetic nerves
- Pumps the lymphatics
11. Stress-Less Key #2 Avoid Caffeine and Other Stimulants
- Adrenal Stimulants
- Cola drinks
- Constantly stimulating the adrenal glands causes faster nutrient depletion
- Creates an acid pH environment
- Coffee alone can cause adrenal exhaustion
12. Stress-Less Key #3 Avoid Sugar and Other Simple Carbs
- Why are Simple Carbs Bad
- for the Adrenals?
- Adrenals perceive low blood sugar as a threat and kick into gear to bring up blood sugar
- When blood sugar spikes as a result of simple carbs, it falls just as rapidly
- The adrenals kick into gear to bring blood sugar back up
- If this happens in the middle of the night you may get a surge of adrenaline which wakes you up and keeps you up making it difficult to fall asleep again
13. Stress-Less Key #4 Exercise Regularly
- What are Stress Hormones For?
- They are designed to gear the body up to take physical action
- Thats part of the problem with modern society we arent always able to physically act in stressful situations
- Moderate exercise helps us burn off stress hormones and unwind from stress
14. Stress-Less Key #5 Feed Your Nerves and Adrenal Glands
- Nutrients Needed by the Nerves and Adrenals
- B-Complex vitamins
- Vitamin C
- Cholesterol & EFAs
15. Supplements for the Nerves and Adrenals
- Cellular Energy
- Pantothenic Acid
- Adrenal Support
- Distress Remedy
16. Stress-Less Key #6 Supplement with Adaptagensand Nervines
- Nervines help calm the sympathetic
- and activate the parasympathetic nerves
- - Nervine Herbs
- Kava Kava
- Passion Flower
- Adaptagens reduce the output of ACTH from the
- pituitary and help to reduce the output of stress
- hormones from the adrenal glands
- Eleuthero Root
- Korean Ginseng
- American Ginseng
- Gotu Kola
18. Specific Products to Help You Stress-Less
- Chinese Stress Relief
- Mood Elevator
- Herbal Sleep
- Nerve Eight
- Nervous Fatigue Formula
- Suma Combination
- Natures Cortisol
- Adrenal Support
19. Stress-Less Key #7 Practice the Relaxation Response
- Methods of Relaxation
- Deep Breathing
- Tai Chi
20. Creating The Relaxation Response
- Sit or lay down in a comfortable position
- Starting at your toes tense and then relax the various muscles in your body, working your way towards the head
- Once you have relaxed your body start breathing slowly and deeply
- Create a single focus for your verbal mind, such as counting your breath or repeating a single word ( such as one) or phrase over and over again
- This bores the logical (verbal) part of the brain and causes it to quiet down, allowing the intuitive (non-verbal) part of the brain to become more active
- This changes brainwave patterns and activates the parasympathetic nerves
- *Developed by Herbert Benson, MD President, Mind Body Medical Institute and Mind Body Medical Institute Associate Professor of Medicine, Harvard Medical School
21. Benefits of Meditation
- Decreases respiratory rate.
- It increases blood flow and slows the heart rate.
- Leads to a deeper level of relaxation.
- Good for people with high blood pressure as it brings the B.P. to normal.
- Reduces anxiety attacks by lowering the levels of blood lactate.
- Decreases muscle tension (any pain due to tension) and headaches.
- Builds self-confidence.
- Increases serotonin production which influences mood and behavior. Low levels of serotonin are associated with depression, obesity, insomnia and headaches.
- Helps in chronic diseases like allergies , arthritis etc.
- Helps in post-operative healing.
- Enhances the immune system.
- Research has revealed that meditation increases activity of 'natural-killer cells', which kill bacteria and cancer cells.
- Also reduces activity of viruses and emotional distress.
22. Essential Oil Recipes for Relaxation
- Bath Salts
- 4 drops Lavender
- 2 drops Geranium
- 1 drop Chamomile
- Mix into 1/3 cup Epsom Salts
- 5 drops Bergamot
- 3 drops Marjoram
- 3 drops Lavender
- Mix into 1/3 cup Epsom Salts
Adrenal Remedy 4 drops pine 2 drops lavender 1 drop Roman chamomile Combine with a couple drops ofoil and rub into adrenal reflex points (back) 23. Essential Oil Recipe
- Cinnamon-Spice Holiday Mist
- 2 oz. Natures Fresh
- 2 droppers Distress Remedy
- 6 drops Cinnamon
- 2 drops Clove
- 2 drops Chamomile, Roman
- 5 Drops Lavender
- 4 drops Red Mandarin
- 3 drops Lemon
- Combine essential oils and Distress Remedy into a 2 oz.
- amber glass bottle. Next, add in the Natures Fresh and
- shake well before using.
- This formula is great to relieve holiday stress, support the
- adrenals, nervous and