Embed Size (px)
Transcript of Publication workshop
- 1.Publication Workshop : Developing your work for (journal) publication Frances Bell Co-editor Research in Learning Technologyhttp://www.tandf.co.uk/journals/titles/09687769.asp Moira Mc Loughlin University of Salford
- An interactive session designed to help develop your skills and knowledge in relation to writing for publication in a journal
- Opportunity to ask questions, review drafts
3. Gestation or Night in
- Close colleagues:
- Presentation/ feedback
- Local peer review
- Presentation/ feedback
Personal network: Blogging and comments Journal: Read content Check audience Offer to review Submit , and resubmit No such thing as failure 4. Who is your audience? Where should you publish?
- Looking at possible journals helps you imagine their audience better
- Thinking about your audience helps you choose a journal outlet
- Research research!
5. Common Problems
- So what?
6. Coherence Abstract 7. Title
- One approach is:
- Does it do what it says on the tin?
- Rachael Jacobs. Aesthetic development in pre-service teacher education: An interdisciplinary dialogue
- Search engine optimisation
- Alternative approach:
- Catchy title
- Flying not flapping: a strategic framework for e-learning and pedagogical innovation in higher education institutions
- Check here including the word Facebook seems to be quite a good ideahttp://top25.sciencedirect.com/subject/social-sciences/23/archive/33/
8. Write about
- what interestsyou
- Whilst making sure you are likely toattract an audience
Blogging Au Plein Air ,after Jean-Baptiste-Camille Corot by Mike Licht, NotionsCapital Man using iPadbyC. Regina 9. A few practical tips or dont annoy the editor!
- If you are not sure if your work fits the journal, can email abstract to editor
- Follow style and structure guidelines word length, Headings, etc., citations, references
- Check images (resolution, etc.)
- Proof read before sending
- - identify a research question, objective
- - write a title (5 minutes)
- - share with your neighbour, question, clarify, improve (5 minutes)
- - write an abstract (10 mins) - see handout
- - swap with your neighbour,
- read and feedback (10 mins)
- Thanks to Rhona Sharpe for this exercise
1-2-3 - the ten minute abstract 11.
- Informal consultation..
And now! 12. Resources
- Emerald How to write effectively
- We used todayhttp://www.emeraldinsight.com/authors/guides/write/abstracts.htm
- Oxford University PressACS Style Guide
- Reviewing a Manuscript for PublicationAllen S. Lee