Principal Officers v2

of 52 /52
Principal Officers Page 1 imperial college union. org Principal Officers 2011/12 Edition

Embed Size (px)


Principal Officers training

Transcript of Principal Officers v2

Page 1: Principal Officers v2

Principal OfficersPage 1

Principal Officers2011/12 Edition

Page 2: Principal Officers v2

Principal OfficersPage


Contents 2

Introduction 3

Key Contacts 4

Organisation 8

Management Group Meetings 13

CSB & RWB 14

Running your Club, Society or Project 15

Other training 19

Membership 21

Required Information 23

Online Services 24

Storage & Equipment 29

Safety 34

Insurance 39

Intellectual Property 45

Reporting & Reviewing 46

Handover, Elections & AGMs 47

Appendix 1 - Management Group Contacts 49

Appendix 2 - Useful websites 50

Appendix 3 - Common acronyms 51

© 2011 Imperial College UnionVersion 2.0 - 01 June 2011

Page 3: Principal Officers v2

Principal OfficersPage 3


This booklet is your guide as the Principal Officer of a Club, Society or Project. This booklet provides the information that is specifically intended for you as the person in charge.

Various other training booklets exist, which can also be found online at These are recommended reading. Between them they cover all aspects of leading and running student groups within Imperial College Union. Depending on the nature of your activities some will be of more use than others.

Of particular importance is the booklet on Finance Overview – this is considered compulsory reading. As the Principal Officer of a Club, Society or Project you are also financially responsible for the your group’s activities.

Important Contacts

If you need help with anything related to what is containted in this booklet, you can get in contact with your Management Group Chair or Treasurer see Appendix 1.

For Clubs, Societies & Projects enquiries you can contact the Deputy President (Clubs & Societies). General enquires can be directed to the Student Activities Centre at [email protected].

Monya ZardDeputy President (Clubs & Societies)E: [email protected]: 020 7594 1763, extension: 41763

Page 4: Principal Officers v2

Principal OfficersPage

Key contacts and supporters

Clubs, Societies and Projects form an integral part of Imperial College Union, and the Principal Officers of these groups are a key part of making things actually happen. Clubs, Societies and Projects are collectively part of the Student Activities Programme.

Sabbatical Officers

The Union is run by students, for students. Every year, a campus-wide election takes place where every full member of the Union (i.e. a full-time UG/PG student) votes for who will be running their Union for the next year; those elected are known as the Sabbatical Officers.

The Sabbatical Officers are:• President Ultimately responsible for

everything in the Union. As a Club, Society or Project officer, you should hopefully not be in contact with them too frequently.

• Deputy President (Finance & Services) Responsible for the Union’s money. If you ever have any financial queries which your Management Group Treasurer cannot answer, they are the one to ask. The Deputy President (Finance & Services) also oversees the annual Summer Ball.

• Deputy President (Clubs & Societies) Responsible for looking after and representing all the Clubs, Societies & Porjects in the Union. They also organise Freshers’ Fair. This is the Sabbatical to whom you should address

Page 5: Principal Officers v2

Principal OfficersPage 5

all your Club, Society or Project-related queries, unless they are specifically finance things.

• Deputy President (Welfare) Responsible for looking after all welfare related activities the Union undertakes. This is the Sabbatical with whom you should discuss any activity ideas which have a welfare theme or focus to them.

• Deputy President (Education) Responsible for all the academic representation the Union carries out, you will rarely need to contact them on Club, Society or Project matters.

There are also two other officers on sabbatical who work for the Union for a year:• Felix Editor Responsible for ensuring

that Felix – the student newspaper, is written and printed every week. As a publication which is read by nearly everyone in the College, this is an

excellent place to advertise your Club, Society or Project if you want to raise your profile.

• ICSMSU President Responsible for running the Imperial College School of Medicine Students’ Union.

Page 6: Principal Officers v2

Principal OfficersPage

Key contacts and supporters cont...

Sabbatical Officer contact details

Management Groups

Each Club, Society or Project is part of a Management Group. The role of Management Groups is discussed in the next section on Organisation. The people who run the management groups are volunteer student officers, they have an important role in representing the interests of Clubs, Societies & Projects, as well as dealing with considerable amounts of administration to key everything running. Each Management Group has a Chair/President, a Treasurer and other elected officers depending on their specific role.

Union Staff

The Union employs a number of staff members, some of who are work directly on aiding the work of Clubs, Societies & Projects; others who can lend their professional expert knowledge to specific queries and pieces of work being undertaken. The key staff members for Clubs, Societies & Projects, their role and contact details are included on the next page.

Scott HeathUnion President

[email protected] 7594 8060, extension 58061

Monya ZardDeputy President (Clubs & Societies)

[email protected] 7594 1763, extension 41763

Michael FosterDeputy President (Finance & Services)

[email protected] 7594 8060, extension 58062

Nicolas MassieDeputy President (Welfare)

[email protected] 7594 8060, extension 58064

Jason ParmarDeputy President (Education)

[email protected] 7594 5646, extension 45646

Matthew ColvinFelix Editor

[email protected] 7594 8072, extension 48072

Suzanne RaynerICSMSU President

[email protected] 7594 8079, extension 48079

Page 7: Principal Officers v2

Principal OfficersPage 7

Key contacts and supporters cont...Olle Å[email protected] Activities Coordinator

Olle is the point of contact for all general Club, Society & Project questions and queries; he is also the person to talk to about minibuses

Aziz Bilgrami[email protected] & Socities Finance Officer

Aziz is responsible for administering the finances of student groups. Most questions are answered in Finance Overview and Finance Operations training

Hannah Bla[email protected] Partnership Administrator

Hannah is the contact for all sports fixtures, BUCS competition entries and facilitiy booking requests. Look at Sports Management training for details

Phil [email protected] Services Manager

Phil is ultimately responsible for all the support provided to Clubs, Societies & Projects. Speak to him if you have a complex query or no one else can help!

Rob O[email protected] & Marketing Coordinator

Speak to Rob if you need help with your communciation plans or technical help producing publicity materials

Alistair [email protected] Coordinator

Alistair is responsible for eActivities, speak to him if you discover an error after reading the eActivities booklet or if the system is not working for you

Alex [email protected] Services Manager

Alex is responsible for the Union’s buildings and Workbench. Many of your workbench questions may be answered by reading Operating Workbench

Jim [email protected] Coordinator

Jim is responsible for operating the Union’s function business. Have a read of the Requesting Spaces training to see what help he can provide

Malcolm [email protected] Manager

Malcolm is in charge of the Union’s Ents team, get in touch with him if you are hosting an event in Metric or you are running a We Are Metric night

[email protected] System Administrators

The system administrators look after the Union’s webserver where Club, Society & Project websites are hosted. More details are in Publicity training

Rebecca [email protected] Coordinator

Rebecca administers all of the Union’s committees, get in touch with her if you need to raise an issue or require an up to date version of Union policy

Mayuri [email protected] of Finance

Mayuri is in charge of the Union’s finance, complex queries can be directed to her. Read the Finance Overview and Finance Operations training though

Robin [email protected] Manager

Robin is in charge of the Union’s staff - any issues surrounding staff performanace should be directed to Robin or the Union President

Page 8: Principal Officers v2

Principal OfficersPage


Each Club, Society or Project is allocated to a Management Group, through which their operations are controlled and various services offered, for example much of the financial operations. The allocation to a Management Group is based on the type of activity the Club, Society or Project undertakes and is in some cases historic.

Clubs and Societies are managed via one of the Clubs & Societies Committees (CSCs), Campus Union (in the case of Silwood Park), the Graduate Students’ Association (GSA) or Faculty Unions (FU). Projects are managed via the Community Action Group (CAG) or Raising & Giving (RAG). The CSCs, Campus Union, GSA, FUs, RAG and CAG are collectively known as Management Groups.

The CSCs and Silwood Campus Union report to the Union’s Clubs & Societies Board, as do the Faculty Unions and GSA in respect of Club & Society activities. CAG and RAG report to the Representation & Welfare Board, because their activities can be classed as outreach and community engagement which fall within the Welfare portfolio. The Faculty Unions and GSA also report to the Representation & Welfare Board in respect of welfare and academic issues as well as the Union’s Representation system.

Each of the Management Groups are run by elected students, their role is:• To represent the interests of your Club,

Society or Project within the Union and in the College.

• A first source of information, advice and support.

• Where you get cheques written, purchase orders approved and receive advice and support with your Club, Society or Project finances.

• Where budgets for your Club, Society or Project are set.

• Where contingency funds are awarded.• There to represent you at either the

Clubs & Societies or Representation & Welfare Boards, Health & Safety Committee, Union Council and some College Committees.

• Organise social events and activities.

Page 9: Principal Officers v2

Principal OfficersPage 9

Each of the Management Groups will have a Chair and Treasurer who should be your first port of call for Club, Society & Project related issues; they will be the experts in the type of potential challenges likely to affect your group and should always be ready to offer advice and guidance. A list of their contacts can be found in Appendix 1.

Clubs & Societies Committees (CSC)

The CSCs are:• Athletic Clubs Committee (ACC)

looks after all competitive sports and martial arts Clubs.

• Social Clubs Committee (SCC) looks after all common interest Societies (including religious, political and discussion based ones).

• Recreational Clubs Committee (RCC) looks after all recreational type sport, activity and skill focused Clubs &

Societies.• Arts and Entertainments Board

(A&E) looks after all arts and entertainments type Societies.

• Overseas Societies Committee (OSC) looks after all the overseas Societies.

• Media Group looks after all the media Clubs & Societies.

• Royal School of Mines Committee (RSMC) looks after all the Departmental Societies as well as the sports and interest Clubs & Societies within the former Royal School of Mines.

There is also a Campus Union which operates as a Clubs & Societies Committee; the Silwood Park Union.

Clubs & Societies Committees provide similar interest Clubs & Societies with simple and readily accessible management with a wide knowledge

Organisation cont...

Page 10: Principal Officers v2

Principal OfficersPage

base. This knowledge base can be considered as a forum for sharing ideas and refining best-practice.

Faculty Unions (FUs)

Imperial College Union has three Faculty Unions. These student organisations are a fundamental component of the Union’s welfare and representation provision. Each Union represents the undergraduate students within that Faculty:• Royal College of Science Union

(RCSU) represents student scientists.• City and Guilds College Union

(CGCU) represents student engineers and students in the Business School.

• Imperial College School of Medicine

Students’ Union (ICSMSU) represents medical students.

The central aim of each Faculty Union is to advance the education of its members and to meet the social, cultural and sporting needs of their students. In order to pursue this goal, Faculty Unionsrepresent the interests of their members to Imperial College, Imperial College Union and to external organisations.

There are four main roles of the Faculty Unions:1. Educational representation to the

Faculty.2. Welfare.3. Clubs & Societies.4. Social activities.

Organisation cont...

Page 11: Principal Officers v2

Principal OfficersPage 11

The Faculty Unions are democratic organisations lead by a student President and run by student officers. Almost all the officers in these organisations are fulltime students, although as a sabbatical officer the ICSMSU President is a notable exception. These organisations are run according to the procedures andregulations outlined in their own constitutions. These constitutions are bound by the Imperial College Unionconstitution and regulations.

In general, these organisations have a General Committee and an Executive Committee.• The General Committee is the

governing body dictating the policy and directions of the Faculty Union.

• The Executive Committee is the administrative body and is the body responsible for policy, management issues and facilities. Both committees have the power to create and dissolve sub-committees. Typically, Club & Society issues are discussed in specific Club & Society meetings or within the context of general meetings. This is important as it determines when

specific issues facing your Club or Society can be aired. These bodies have representatives on various Union and College committees in order to co-ordinate the Union’s response to welfare and academic issues affecting Imperial students.

In addition to their roles in representation and welfare, Faculty Unions also support Clubs & Societies where the majority of members are likely to come from theirFaculty, although all Faculty Union Clubs & Societies are open to all members of the Union, regardless of their department.

These Clubs & Societies play a vital role in helping the Faculty Unions achieve their aims and objectives. Common Faculty Union Clubs & Societies includethe Departmental Societies, Sports Clubs and Motor Clubs. Departmental Societies also provide a link to the representation and welfare provision, along withopportunities for social activities.

Graduate Students’ Association (GSA)

The Graduate Students’ Association exists to represent the interests of Postgraduate students in an academic sense, as well as facilitate social activities and some Clubs & Societies. The Clubs & Societies that the GSA look after are either social in theme and located at Postgraduate campuses, or

Page 12: Principal Officers v2

Principal OfficersPage

are departmental societies for exclusively Postgraduate courses. Postgraduates are an important and growing part of Imperial’s student population, accounting for around half the new students every October, so the GSA forms a key role in the Union’s mission to support this group of students.

Raising & Giving (RAG)

The RAG Committee look after charity fundraising activities for the Union, whether those are events organised centrally, or through Projects particularly dedicated for the purpose of raising money for specific causes. RAG can also advise any student group wishing to carry out a fundraising activity. More information on arranging a charity collection can be found in the Charity Collections booklet.

Community Action Group (CAG)

The CAG Committee oversee groups carrying out volunteering, in the local community, nationally and internationally. Everything from soup runs for the homeless in central London, to building bridges in Malawi.

Organisation cont...

Page 13: Principal Officers v2

Principal OfficersPage 13

Management Group Meetings

Management Group meetings are run by your Management Group Chair. Each Club, Society or Project in a Management Group is represented in these meetings and they are a chance for all the Groups in your Management Group to meetand discuss things relevant to your Group. Your Management Group Chair and Treasurer will use these meetings to pass on important information from the Union, let you know about deadlines, any policy changes and big events going on which may interest your Group. This is the place to air any particular problems affecting your Group which need to be addressed by the Union. Other things which happen are:• Budget appeals.• Approval of any changes in a Club,

Society or Project’s Constitution.• Contingency claims. The Sabbatical

Officers may well also attend these meetings, so it is a good chance to raise matters for them to address.


Once a month. You will be notified of the date, time and location of the meeting two weeks in advance.

Who Attends

Every Club, Society or Project in the Management Group is required to send one representative. This is usually the Chair; however, other Committee members can attend in their place. More than one person from a Group can attend

if they want to.

Important: It is the ‘Group’ not the Group’s Officer who is a member of the Management Group. Therefore, if more than one representative from a Group attends, there will still be one vote per Group. Any member of the Union can attend a Management Group meeting and observe.

Page 14: Principal Officers v2

Principal OfficersPage


Clubs & Societies Board (CSB)

The Clubs & Societies Board looks after all Club, Society & Project related matters, from funding to setting policy for approval by Council. CSB is also the route for any appeals by Clubs, Societies & Projects from their own Management Group. The Committee may decide upon any of the following:• The validity of a Tour proposal as a valid

tour.• Subsidy rates for tours.• Management Group funding for the

forthcoming academic year.• Budget appeals.• New Club, Society or Project appeals.• Contingency claims to CSB.• Amendments to Club, Society or

Project-related policy.


The committee meet once every three weeks. A list of the upcoming CSB meetings can be found at

Who Attends

The meeting is chaired by the Deputy President (Club & Societies). All the other sabbaticals, FU Presidents and CSC Chairs. Union meetings are open and transparent, so any member of the Union may attend CSB and observe.

Representation & Welfare Board (RWB)

The Representation & Welfare Board looks after academic and welfare issues.

Additionally they also look after some aspects of Departmental Societies, particularly with regard to welcoming Freshers. RWB oversees some FU and GSA funding and setting relevant policies for approval by Council.


The committee meet once every three weeks. A list of the upcoming RWB meetings can be found at

Who Attends

The meetings are alternately chaired by the Deputy President (Welfare) and the Deputy President (Education). All the other sabbaticals, FU Presidents, GSA President, Academic Affairs Officers, and Welfare Officers.

As with CSB, any member of the Union may attend RWB and observe.

Page 15: Principal Officers v2

Principal OfficersPage 15

Running your Club, Society or Project

Responsibilities of the Club, Society or Project Chair/President

The person in charge (i.e. Principal Officer) of the Club, Society or Project has some specific duties:• Ensure the Group Constitution and any

policies of the Club, Society or Project are followed. The Constitution outlines the aims and objectives of the Group, members of the committee, election procedures etc. The Club or Society may have standing policies which should be followed, e.g. how activities are operated.

• The Chair, while not necessarily getting involved in the day-to-day operation of the Group’s finances should have a reasonable knowledge of what is going on.

• While the Chair has been elected to

be in overall charge of the Group it should be run as a democracy, not a dictatorship. There are other committee members for a reason. Make sure they are involved in the running of the Group.

• Ensure all activities stay within the Law and the rules of Imperial College and Imperial College Union. The Union has relatively few rules governing how Clubs, Societies & Projects are run and what they can and cannot do compared to most other universities. Be sensible to help ensure that this situation remains as it is.

• Keep your members safe in everything that your Group does. Do sensible things and make sensible decisions.

• Ensure your Group offers activities for ALL members of your Group. These include activities at different times/days

Page 16: Principal Officers v2

Principal OfficersPage

Running your Club, Society or Project

and for different levels of experience and skill. Remember also that not everyone drinks alcohol!

• Ensure regular committee meetings happen and are effective.

• Represent the Club, Society or Project at Management Group Committee meetings.


Imperial College Union believes that the best people to run Clubs, Societies & Projects at Imperial are ImperialStudents, not College or Union Staff members. A vast amount of trust is placed in Group Officers at Imperial, far more so than at many other universities in the UK. However with this comesresponsibilities for the actions of your Group.

Each Group is an intrinsic part of bothImperial College Union and Imperial College London – not a separate entity acting alone.

1. You and your Group members are ambassadors for Imperial College Union AND Imperial College London. You are responsible for what your Group does and says. This includes conduct at all Club, Society & Project events and what is published in the media and on the web.

2. You, as a Club, Society or Project Officer, will be expected to act in the best interests of your Group. You have

authority, within the remit of your role, over your Club, Society or Project.

3. You are accountable to the members of your Club, Society or Project for what happens, this includes if nothing happens at all.

4. You are also accountable to the Union and the College for the actions of your Club, Society or Project, and the collective and individual actions of the members whilst undertaking your Group activity. Aside from this accountability there is a level of liability which you as a Club, Society or Project Officer undertake.Club, Society or Project Officers found responsible for breaching Union or College rules and regulations, as well as the Law, may be subject to Union and/or College Disciplinary Proceedings. These proceedings may result in varying levels of punishment as well as an entry possibly being placed on your permanent College record. For medical students this may affect your Fitness to Practice. Disciplinary action resulting from Club & Society activities can include Bringing The College Into Disrepute. Imperial College Union is prepared to refer conduct of Club & Society Officers to the Police if it sees fit.

Page 17: Principal Officers v2

Principal OfficersPage 17

Holding Meetings

All Groups will need to run committeemeetings regularly in order to keep up-to-date with what needs doing and to ensure that the Group runs smoothly and carries out successful events & activities for members. Most committee meetings which are held during the year are called‘Ordinary Committee Meetings’, unless it is the ‘Annual General Meeting’ (AGM). For more info on AGMs, please see the Runing a Club, Society or Project Election booklet and the Handover Information checklist.


Most Club, Society & Project committees meet once a week during term time. If there is a big event coming up, you may need to meet more frequently.

Who Attends

The Club, Society or Project committee –

all Clubs, Societies & Projects must have at least a Chair, Treasurer and a Secretary to form their Club & Society committee. Projects may have all of these or a combination of these as approved by their Management Group. Many Groups will have more positions than just these. It is at the Chair’s discretion to allow certain members of a committee to miss a meeting, e.g. if there is a large sub-committee in charge of a large event, usually only the ‘Chair’ of the sub-committee will be required to come to Group committee meetings.

All members of the Union can attend any Group committee meeting and observe.

Who Does What

The Club, Society or Project Chair will normally run the meeting. The Chair is responsible for:

• letting everyone on the committee

Page 18: Principal Officers v2

Principal OfficersPage

Running your Club, Society or Project

know the date, time and location of the meeting well in advance (at least a week is advised).

• reminding people to send the Secretary any apologies and items for the agenda.

• taking votes on matters during the meeting.

• ensuring that everyone at the meeting contributes something and is listened to.

• assigning, along with the rest of the committee, action points to the appropriate committee member and ensuring that that person is clear in what they must do.

• keeping the meeting in order.• setting the date of the next meeting.

The Secretary is responsible for:• compiling the agenda for the meeting

and circulating it to all committee members in advance.

• taking minutes during the meeting.• writing up the minutes from the

meeting and circulating them to all committee members soon after the meeting.

• Minuting who received action points in the meeting, and what needs to be reported back to the next meeting.

• Remember: if something is not minuted, it did not officially happen – this includes anything which was voted on. Minutes also serve the vital function of reminding people what they agreed to do before the next meeting

Sample Meeting Agenda

• Apologies (those unable to attend the meeting).

• Minutes of last meeting.• Matters arising from the minutes.• Chair’s Business.• Treasurer’s Report.• Matters for discussion (this is the main

bulk of the meeting, e.g. any events or trips you may be running).

• Date of next meeting.

Page 19: Principal Officers v2

Principal OfficersPage 19

Other training

Various other training is available on a large range of subjects for those involve in running Clubs, Societies & Projects. Full information is available online at

All volunteers

Key Information eLearning must be undertaken by everyone who has a committee position within a Club, Society or Project.


Finance Overview eLearning must be completed by Principal Officers and Treasuers of Clubs, Societies & Projects. This is an overview of the financial arrangements; the detailed procedures are contained within Finance Operations eLearning, which must be completed by Treasurers, though others are encouraged to do it as well. Other booklets support the finance arena: Event Budgeting, Sponsorship, Charity Collections and eActivities for Finance.

Use of spaces on Imperial Campuses

The Requesting Spaces training contains all the information about holding events on Imperial College campuses, the various rules, procedures and policies which are in place. This training is mandatory for anyone wishing to request a space for a Club, Society or Project event. This is available as eLearning.

Page 20: Principal Officers v2

Principal OfficersPage

Trips and tours away from campus

The Trips & Tours booklet contains all the information you’ll need for organising an event away from an Imperial campus, particularly long distances away and overseas.


The Marshalling eLeaning must be completed by those who are nominated to marshall large events taking place within College premises.

Online Services

Booklets are available which outline usage of the main online services the Union and College provide to help administer your Club, Society or Project: Operating Workbench, eActivities for Administration and Use of Mailman Lists.


The booklet on Publicity contains all the various rules regarding publicising events, both through posters and flyers, but also online and via advertising stunts. It also contains information about building Club, Society or Project websites.


This is the only piece of training for Clubs, Societies & Projects which is run as a group session, supported by the Sports Management booklet. It is mandatory for those who are sports team captains and fixtures secretaries.

Other training cont...

Page 21: Principal Officers v2

Principal OfficersPage 21


Anyone who would like to join a Club, Society or Project must first be (or become) a member of Imperial College Union. The three types of membership are:

• Full Members All registered students of Imperial College are automatically Full Members of the Union.

• Associate Members College or Union staff, or any Further or Higher Education student over the age of eighteen.

• Life Members Someone is entitled to become a Life Member of the Union if they have been: a Full or Associate Member of the Union for at least one academic year; a Research or Teaching Assistant for at least two academic years; a member of the full time Union staff for at least two years, or a member of Imperial College London staff for at least two years.

Membership is only available to people who fit into these categories because we are a private establishment, and here to serve our members. Furthermore, we only allocate our resources for the use of our members. Groups should not invite people who do not fall into any of these categories to join them, as they will not be covered by insurance and they could potentially be taking opportunities and resources away from our other members that we are here to serve.

Purchasing Associate/Life Membership

1. Associate Membership: costs £4/month. This can be purchased in person from the SAC. You will need to provide proof of staff/student status.

2. Royal College of Music/ Royal College of Art Associate Membership: because these institutions are our close neighbours, Associate Membership for these students costs an annual fee of £5. This can be purchased in person from the SAC or at the beginning of the academic year at their institution. They will need to provide their student ID.

3. Life Membership: costs £50 as a one-off payment. This can be purchased online.

Page 22: Principal Officers v2

Principal OfficersPage

External individuals engaged as instructors (whether paid or otherwise) are not required to become members of the Club, Society or Project, provided theservices they are providing is on a purely instructional basis. If an Instructor is engaging in the general recreational activities of a Club, Society or Project, rather than merely instructing then they must become a member.

Note: For individuals who are Associate or Life Members, apart from online, it is also possible to join a Club, Society or Project by using a paper membership form. This form is clearly labelled for associate/life members, and requires their membership number. This is to ensure the necessary levels of information are collected, especially with respect to contacts and Next of Kin details.

Every Club & Society has its own ‘Shop’ page which can be found on the Imperial College Union website Club & Society A-Z list, where people can purchase memberships online.

Membership data and money will go directly into the Club, Society or Project’s account. This is an improved service and is quick, easy to use and secure. If potential members have any queries about the service, there are four levels of security to safeguard against fraud.

All students should have a UK bank account that is compatible within the first few weeks of their arrival. Any other questions should be directed to Union via [email protected].

Membership of Clubs cont...

Page 23: Principal Officers v2

Principal OfficersPage 23

Required Information from Groups

The following information must be submitted online via eActivities through the course of the year. Details of how to do this are contained within the eActivities for Administration booklet. Failure to do so will usually result in the Club, Society or Project accounts being frozen.

Info Required Description & Deadline for 2011/12

Financial Responsibility

Form signed by the Chair and Treasurer to indicate their financial responsibility for the Club, Society or Project and state that they will adhere to the duties of Clubs, Societies & Projects.


Contact Details Contact details of the current committee 01/08/2011

Naughty Officers

All Club & Society officers must be members of their Club, Society or Project by this date. 01/11/2011

Risk Assessment Evaluates Club, Society or Project activities for potential risks and outlines prevention measures to avoid them. For more information see the Safety section.


Instructor Registration

Provides details of any instructors used by the Club, Society or Project. 01/11/2011

Affiliations Indicates external organisations to which the Club, Society or Project is affiliated. 01/11/2011

Inventory List of all items owned by the Club, Society or Project whose combined worth is £200 or more. 23/03/2012

Code of Conduct Outlines the expected behaviour of a Club, Society or Project on Safety issues with regards to the Risk Assessment. See the Safety section for more info.


Constitution This outlines the structure of a Club, Society or Project and the way in which it is run. It defines the aims and objectives, membership, committee structure, officer duties, electoral procedures and policies of the group.


Next Year Committee Details

Filled out after the AGM to indicate the contact details of the committee for next academic year. 23/03/2012

Profile Short promotional abstract about your Club, Society or Project’s activities for promotional material for the next academic year.


Specific information about each document will be issued in the lead up to the respective deadline.

Page 24: Principal Officers v2

Principal OfficersPage

Online Services

There are a number of online services available to Clubs, Societies & Projects that utilise web based products and portals or are services offered by the College which groups can use for free.

It is vitally important that during your handover logins and passwords for these services are exchanged where appropriate.

Each Club, Society & Project should have an Imperial College login and email address (e.g. [email protected]). This login allows you to access your Club, Society or Project email, as well as login to Workbench.

The main Union website at has a Clubs,Societies and Project interface, called Workbench which you can use to administer and organise your group and use the online shop facilities.

To access Workbench you need your Club, Society or Project login. Details regarding the use of Workbench are contained within the Operating Workbench booklet available online at

Much of the information required by the Union about your Club, Society or Project, together with new features for administering finance is submitted using an online portal called eActivities.

Information about eActivities for Club, Society or Project administration can be found in the eActivities for Administration booklet; information regarding how eActivities is used for finances can be found in eActivities for Finance.

The Union operates a webserver at which hosts websites which Clubs, Societies & Projects have built themselves. See the booklet on Publicity for more information about this.

You can use mailman mailing lists provided by ICT which enable you and your committee to communicate with each other, and with your members, information about this is contained within the Using Mailman Lists booklet.

Other sites such as facebook, Flickr and YouTube are also useful tools, information is in the Publicity booklet.

Page 25: Principal Officers v2

Principal OfficersPage 25

Email and Logins Each Club, Society & Project is allocated one College ICT account for use by its committee. These include an email address and some storage space on the College file servers. The main login is also used to gain access to the Club, Society or Project’s Workbench on – see the Workbench section.

If your Club, Society & Project has lost the password to the account, or if you are uncertain as to whether you have a login, the Chair should log this by emailing [email protected]

All Club, Society & Project contact email addresses must end, email addresses provided by external organisations are not permitted.

Using the ICT login

This is the account allocated to your Club, Society or Project, and can be used in the same way as your personal ICT account. Make sure you keep the password safe, and remember that the Chair or President can be held responsible for any emails sent from it.

NB: Please remember to pass on details of the login and password to the subsequent Chair or President.


Workbench is an application based within the Union website at that enables Officers to use advanced features to manage their Clubs, Societies & Projects.

Each group has a username and password for Workbench, this is the same as your Club, Society or Project login.

The membership fee is set at the start of the year and cannot be changed on Workbench. If you think it might be necessary to change this, you should contact your Management Group Chair who will guide you through the process of changing it. Having been set in the

Online Services cont...

Page 26: Principal Officers v2

Principal OfficersPage

previous year’s budgeting round, it will automatically be set up as a product on the website so people can buy it from 01 August.

For full details on how to use Workbench, please refer to the Operating Workbench booklet.

Workbench Functions

In addition to letting your members purchase their membership online. Workbench allow you to:

• See and download an up-to-date list of all Club, Society or Project members.

• Add new online shop products for sale via the Website; with the exception of membership items, products must be more than £5 in value.

• See and download up-to-date sales reports for all your online products.

• Quickly email all the members of your Club or Society.

• Add items to the Union’s What’s On calendar at• Add, edit and amend pages in

your Club or Society’s section of

• Easily register all your Club & Society Activities online for our records eg. trips or tours.


Much of the information required by the Union about your Group is submitted using an online portal called eActivities.

The information collected via eActivities is generally information your predessors would have provided on paper documents – the advantage of this online system is that information is now stored from previous years, meaning all you are required to do is update it.

Information about eActivities and

Page 27: Principal Officers v2

Principal OfficersPage 27

how to use it can be found in the specific booklets: eActivities for Administration for the administrative aspects and eActivities for Finance for the finance parts.


The Union operates a webserver at where Clubs, Societies & Projects can build their own websites, as an addition to their pages on

Technical information about the services provided can be found in the Publicity booklet. Any enquires about the webserver can be directed to the server’s System Administrators, [email protected]

Please note that any Club, Society or Project websites which are created must be hosted on the Union’s webserver, and

be actively maintained throughout the year and from year to year.

Mailing Lists

A Club, Society or Project can have one or more mailman mailing lists to allow Club Officers to contact members by email easily, or to facilitate discussion among members. These are provided by the College’s ICT Department. Full information about mailman lists is contained within the Using Mailman Lists booklet.

Setting up a mailman list

If you want to have a mailing list set up for your Club, Society or Project, first check to see if one exists already. You can do this by visiting and searching for your Club, Society or Project name.

Online Services cont...

Page 28: Principal Officers v2

Principal OfficersPage

Online Services cont...

If you find a list, but don’t know the Administrator password, you’ll need to email [email protected] and ask to have the password reset. If there is no existing list, you’ll need to fill in a request form online at

Administering a mailman list

Once your list has been set up, you can change its settings by visiting the List Administration Overview,

From here you can add or remove members, specify who is allowed to send email to the list, deal with pending requests and much more. Queries and questions relating to mailing lists should be directed to [email protected].

This service is provided by ICT, not by the Union. The membership of these lists should be current and maintained. You will not be able to set up another list if an existing one has been poorly maintained. For more information about the mailman lists please refer to the Using Mailman Lists booklet.


Sites such as facebook, YouTube and

Flickr provide useful tools in running your Club, Society or Project – communicating with your members and sharing information and experiences.

Make sure you set up official groups if you are using these sites, and make your members aware of these groups. It is important to ensure that passwords and permissions for these groups are passed on to your successors so they can be administered into the future. Remember, new students are likely to look at these sites to get an idea of the type of activities your group is undertaking.

While these sites are external to Imperial, you are still responsible for the content being published on them. Make sure what is posted is sensible and does not risk bringing the College into disrepute. Further guidance is contained within the Publicity booklet.

Page 29: Principal Officers v2

Principal OfficersPage 29


Many Groups own a large selection ofequipment for members to use during activities; this kit is stored away for most of the week. Storage space is at a premium on Union premises as there is a limited amount of room available. As a result, many groups share dedicated store cupboard spaces, with Groups being allocated storage according to what can be found that is big enough for the items. Access to these store rooms are given by key list.

Key Lists

A key for each storage space is keptwith the Security Office of the area (e.g. Beit Security Lodge for Beit-based storage) and is identified with a number and a name (e.g. East Basement StorageRoom 3 is Key 7). Access to the store is gained by visiting the Security Office andrequesting to sign out the correct key after showing ID (ie. College swipe card). The key needs to be signed back in after each use.

Each key is shared by all groups allocatedto that storage space, and has an associated list with it, identifying the group(s) which have access to that storage space and a list of all the members who are allowed to sign out the key. Generally only the committee or

responsible Club & Society members are listed on each key to prevent over-access to valuable equipment. Also, because these stores contain Union owned equipment, people who are not full members of the Union cannot have access to stores.

Updating the Key list

Updating the key list is done online through eActivities. This needs to be done at the beginning of each academic year, but it can also be amended throughout the year. This can only be done by the club Chair/President,

Storage & Equipment

Page 30: Principal Officers v2

Principal OfficersPage

Treasurer or Secretary. Details of how to do this are contained within the eActivities for Administration booklet.

Key List Rules

There may be times when several Groups need access to the stores on thesame day, which can lead to situations where the key is not in the Security Office. Being on a key list means complying to the following rules in order to prevent this situation:• If the room will be in use for long

periods, it is advisable to return the key as soon as it has been used.

• All Club, Society & Project store users should know who the key is with should another Group need it.

• The key should always stay in the vicinity of the store when signed out.

• If another group requires access immediately following your Club, Society or Project, it is helpful to hand over the key directly to the next Group. However, contact should be made with Security to let them know who it has gone from and to, otherwise the first users will still be held accountable for anything that happens subsequently.

• Security maintains a record of who signed out the key so the Union can trace and charge the Group who lost the key or was responsible for any damage.

• Keys should NEVER be taken home, or off campus!

Security is manned around the clock; however there may be times when the Security Officer is on patrol. In these cases, wait a few minutes for them to return. There is the option of telephoning central Sherfield Security on Ext. 58900 to radio the Officer to return early from patrol. If returning the key, it is acceptable to drop the key through the letterbox rather than summon the Security Officer back. If these rules are not followed your group will be punished.

Make sure during handover that the location of equipment and store rooms is passed on to the next committee.

How to Obtain/increase Storage Space

Clubs, Societies or Projects who wish to obtain storage space should contact the Deputy President (Clubs & Societies) in the first instance who will try and find a suitable storage space. Please be aware that there is very little storage space available and this should be a major factor when considering whether to purchase new equipment. If a request is made, it is helpful in the process to describe what the items are, and approximately the amount of cubic metres required. There may also be smaller lockers available.

Storage & Equipment cont...

Page 31: Principal Officers v2

Principal OfficersPage 31


All Clubs, Societies & Projects are given access to Union laundry machines which are located in Beit Wing West Basement (entrance next to Metric) and are provided free of charge. The key list number is 30 and anyone with a valid College ID card can gain access. This facility is of particular importance to sports clubs who use the machines to wash team kit each week.


There are several key things to remember about equipment:• All Club, Society and Project equipment

is and remains the property of Imperial College Union.

• All groups are required to annually submit an Inventory to the Student Activities Centre – see Required Information. This is so the Union can compile its asset register and also helps Clubs, Societies & Projects to keep abreast of the value and life expectancy of their equipment.

• Any external sale, loan or discard of Club, Society or Project assets must be approved by the Deputy President (Finance & Services).

• Equipment which belongs to your Group should only be used by your

members. If another Club, Society, Project or an external wishes to use your equipment, an agreement should be drawn up between them detailing any payment and conditions of hire. Hiring out Club, Society or Project equipment out is a good way for groups to make some money, as long as the procedure is clear in the event that the items get lost, stolen or broken.

• Equipment insurance – replacing the loss or damage of Club, Society or Project equipment worth less than £10,000 is normally covered by the relevant Management Group Contingency Fund, whilst anything over £10,000 in value is covered by Union

• Insurance – see the Insurance section in this booklet on insurance for more details.

Storage & Equipment cont...

Page 32: Principal Officers v2

Principal OfficersPage

Storage & Equipment cont...

Store room maintenance issues

Your Club, Society or Project may be lucky enough to have its own store room or other space. The Union is responsible for these spaces, and accountable to the College for their care and maintenance. It is important that you treat the space you have been allocated with respect.

Do not under any circumstances attempt to carry out maintenance work within your space. This includes fixing things to the walls, changing light bulbs or altering the wiring.

Maintenance issues for your space fall in to two categories - defects and minor works. Defects are things which should be in normal operation in the space, for example the lights working, or the door lock functioning correcting. Minor works are new pieces of work which can be carried out to enhance the space, for example fixing shelves to the walls.

If the space you are responsible for has a defect or you need minor work carrying out please contact the Union’s Central Services Manager, Alex Mckee, [email protected].

The Union will arrange for defects to be resolved and minor works to be carried out. Minor works may incur a change to your group.

PAT Testing

Portable appliance testing is necessary for all appliances being used on Imperial College campuses by Clubs, Societies & Projects. The test should be carried out annually. If you group owns equipment which requires testing please contact the Union’s Central Services Manager to arrange this.

Fire Extinguishers

Any space you are responsible for should have appropriate types and numbers of fire extinguishers installed. These fire extinguishers requiring testing annually. If you think you need a fire extinguishers in your space, or they require testing please contact the Central Services Manager.


There may be a situation where a maintenance emergency occurs, for example water flooding into your store room. If this occurs during office hours please contact the Student Activities Centre immediately.

If this occurs out of hours you will need to contact the Facilities Management Customer Services Centre. Their phone number is 020 7594 8000. Be sure to let the Union’s Central Services Manager know about the issue and what action you have taken.

Page 33: Principal Officers v2

Principal OfficersPage 33

Storage & Equipment cont...

Maintenance issues for other areas

There may be maintenance issues for spaces which you are using such as rooms or lecture theatres. It is important that these are reported, even if the issue was not caused by you. Be sure to take photographs of areas where damage or faulty equipment is in place to demonstrate you didn’t cause the issue.

General issues in College spacesFor issues in rooms you are using such as broken light bulbs please contact the Student Activities Centre. They will pass this on to the relevant department to resolve. It is important to note that the Student Activities Centre can’t actually resolve these issues, so it may take a bit of time.

IT issues

If the IT equipment in a lecture theatre is not functioning correctly then follow the instructions on the equipment. This may say to contact the ICT Helpdesk, or may give you a person in the relevant department to contact. Do not attempt to fix the equipment yourself.

Union spaces

If there is a maintance, IT or cleaning issue with a space in the Union Building please contact the Union’s Central Services Manager.

Waste disposal

Disposal of waste is a very important consideration when organising an event. Items cannot simply be binned - everything which can be recycled must be recycled. Items should also be reused where possible.

RecyclingMany items can be recycled through the College waste system, take a look at the waste directory website for details, If you have large amounts of recycling please contact the Union’s Central Services Manager to arrange a pickup.

Landfill waste

Items which cannot be recycled must be disposed of. Do not simply place large amounts of landfill waste into the bins around campus. Contact the Union’s Central Services Manager to arrange a suitable collection. Your group may be required to pay for this, so please remember to include it in your budget for an event.

Page 34: Principal Officers v2

Principal OfficersPage


Each Club, Society & Project has a responsibility to ensure the safety of their members while they are participating in activities. Undertake sensible activities and make sensible decisions.

Clubs, Societies & Projects generally have an excellent safety record - we would like to keep it this way. Incidents and accidents do however occur - there are a number of procedures in place to manage these incidents and ensure the correct reporting is carried out.

Activity Registrations

Registration of activities is mandatory for all Clubs, Societies & Projects. The information provided will help the Union and the College in the case of an

Increased Risk Activities

Other Activities

On Campus None None

Off Campus but within M25 Part A & Part B Part A

Beyond M25 Part A & Part B Part A & Part B

Residential Activities Part A & Part B Part A & Part B

emergency involving members while away from campus. The registration must be done online using Workbench (See the Operating Workbench booklet for details). It will literally take two or three minutes. The information required falls into two parts, namely:

• Part A: Details of where, when & what the activity is, who is in charge, as well as departure and arrival places and times.

• Part B: Details of who is participating, their names & CID numbers.

Depending on the activity being undertaken, the information summarised in the table below will need to be provided.

Page 35: Principal Officers v2

Principal OfficersPage 35

The list of Increased Risk Activities is: • Airsoft • Basketball • Caving • Canoeing • Clay Pigeon & Rifle Shooting • Climbing • Cross Country • Cycling • Football • Free running • Gliding • Hill walking • Hockey • Ice Hockey • In-line Hockey • Kickboxing • Kite Surfing • Lacrosse • Martial Arts (all types)• Motorsport • Mountaineering • Orienteering • Parkour • Paintballing • Parachuting • Polo • Riding • Rugby • Rowing • Sailing • Skiing • Snowboarding • Squash • Surfing • Wakeboarding • Water polo • Waterskiing • Windsurfing • Yachting

Safety cont...

NB: The level of information required is relative to the activity being undertaken rather than the Club or Society undertaking it.

For example the Yoga Club, who usually do their activities in a room on Campus, generally would not be required to register their yoga sessions. However, if the Yoga club decide to go on a sailing trip then they would need to register that activity. Conversely, the Sailing Club must register each of their trips sailing, but if they decide to have an evening of Yoga on campus then they would not need to register that activity. The only exception to this registration scheme is for regular sports training, such as the Hockey Club training at Harlington on a Monday evening, or the Boat Club training on the River Thames each morning.

Accident Reporting

If an accident or dangerous occurrence (i.e. an event that could have resulted in an accident) happens, you must fill out an Accident Report Form. Paper copies are available from the Student Activities Centre, electronic copies online at You should ensure you take some paper copies away with you on trips or to sports matches.

Page 36: Principal Officers v2

Principal OfficersPage

Accident Report forms must be returned to the Student Activities Centre within 48 hours of an incident occurring.

Minor injuries and dangerous occurrences, as well as major incidents must be reported. Imperial College is required by Law to submit details of accidents and provide accident statistics. This is not a piece of bureaucracy that is applied only to Clubs, Societies & Projects - every College department and employee is required to report accidents and dangerous occurrences in the same way.

The objective of accident reporting is to stop identical accidents reoccurring in the future if possible. A Club, Society or Project will not get into trouble for reporting accidents, nor will your activities be stopped, save under severe circumstances. Accident reports will be reviewed and advice to review risk assessments may be provided by the Union Health & Safety Committee.

Unplanned Incidents & Emergencies

Normally all Club, Society & Project activities pass without incident. Very occasionally though, something unplanned happens. The level of response from your Club, Society or Project very much depends on your activities - for example the wind getting stronger very quickly could mean

serious issues when mountaineering or SCUBA diving, but might provide an excellent day’s activity when sailing or windsurfing. You have responsibility for thinking and responding sensibly and safely when planning for and responding to unplanned incidents.

Each Club, Society or Project needs to be aware of what to do when unplanned things happen and establish a clear procedure for dealing with them. This should be outlined in the Club & Society Code of Conduct. It is important that everyone involved in organising a trip is aware of what is written in the Code of Conduct so that they know what to do.

The three different levels of incidents and response needed is detailed below:

1) Simple Unexpected IncidentSimple things that do not adversely affect the overall operation of the event, trip or activity. Such things may include a coach or bus turning up late, forgeting to pack some of the necessary equipment, a disagreement over how to cook dinner.

What to do: • Do what is necessary at the time to

resolve this incident. • Learn from the experience and enjoy

the rest of the activity. • Try to ensure something like this does

not happen again in the future.

Safety cont...

Page 37: Principal Officers v2

Principal OfficersPage 37

2) General Unplanned IncidentSituations that are unplanned for and are likely to have an impact on the overall activity, for everyone involved. For example a vehicle breaking down, a participant needing to be taken to A&E for a simple injury, forgetting the keys to the accommodation.

What to do: • Deal with the incident on the ground at

the time. • Be aware if any of the circumstances

have turned (or are likely to turn) the incident into a critical incident (eg. press interest).

• If so, then follow the Critical Incident Procedure below.

• Call the Student Activities Centre, if necessary, to report the details of the incident.

• Complete an Accident Report Form on return from the activity if necessary.

• If any type of assistance is required or if in any doubt follow the critical incident process.

3) Critical IncidentSerious incidents which are likely to require professional staff at the Union and College to resolve. This would include:

• A death or multiple or serious injuries.• Participants missing, overdue or in

other immediate danger.• Serious illness or hospital admission.

• Arrest or detention by Police or other security services.• Participants being a victim of a criminal

incident.• Serious Road Traffic Accident• Any situation where the emergency

services are involved.• Any situation which is likely to bring the

College into disrepute. • Any situation where the media are

attending or may attend or have an interest in.

Also any situation in which the person in charge of the activity is not confident in dealing with appropriately is considered a critical incident. As experts in the activity the Club, Society or Project has undertaken, members present need to deal with the incident in the very first instance. This is why it is vital that organisers know the Club, Society or Projects’s Code of Conduct as this should outline what to do.

Safety cont...

Page 38: Principal Officers v2

Principal OfficersPage

What to do: • Call 999 for the emergency services if

necessary. • As soon as possible (when the situation

is under control), call Imperial College Security on 020 7589 1000 to report the incident.

• Calling the phone number and providing information about the incident will also allow a briefing to be given to the College Press Office - this is a very important consideration as there is generally a large amount of media interest in incidents involving students.

The staff who answer the phone and deal with the incident have extensive experience in this area. Most things have been seen before so do not be afraid of calling. The number is manned 24 hours, every day of the year.

Additionally a senior member of Union staff is always on duty to deal with Critical Incidents. Wallet-sized business cards detailing what to do in the event of a Critical Incident are available from the Student Activities Centre. Every person leading a Club, Society or Project activity should have a copy of this.

Things to Remember

1. Do not talk to the Press and certainly do not attempt to sell stories to the Press.

2. No Club, Society or Project member should admit liability for an incident.

3. Under no circumstances should any member of a Club, Society or Project contact the Next of Kin of a fellow participatnt. If Next of Kin need to be contacted call the Critical Incident phone number: 020 7589 1000.

4. Ensure you have a well-thought out Risk Assessment and Code of Conduct.

5. Ensure people organising the event/trip know what is on these.

6. Fill in an Accident Report Form if you have had an accident or a dangerous occurrence.

7. Keep calm.

Page 39: Principal Officers v2

Principal OfficersPage 39


Please note that all references to people covered by insurance in this section only apply to Members of Imperial College Union. Our insurance policies do notcover external people that may be engaged in Club, Society or Project activities, such as instructors. These people should have their own insurance, which is often provided by membership to their National Governing Body. If you have any queries about Insurance, please get in touch with the Membership Services Manager.

Liability Insurance

The Union is covered by the Imperial College Public Liability Insurance. Any member of a group acting in accordance with the rules and procedures of their Club, Society or Project (as set out in their Code of Conduct), Imperial College Union and Imperial College are covered by this policy. For example if a member of the public is injured by a Group member during a Club, Society or Project activity then they are covered by this policy. You can obtain a copy of the Union’s Insurance certificate from the Membership Services Manager.

Personal Accident Insurance

Club, Society or Project members are covered by Imperial College’s Personal

Accident Policy. This is an outlinePersonal Accident policy, covering the most serious of injuries only. Details of the policy can be found online at

It should be stressed that this policy is an outline policy only and does not cover many injuries or costs that may affect your studies. For example dental treatment, taxis to College after breaking an ankle or massage treatment for whiplash resulting from a road traffic accident are not covered.

For Liability and Personal Accident Insurance, if you are doing an activity other than your regular day to day

Page 40: Principal Officers v2

Principal OfficersPage

activities e.g. going on tour or trying something new not on campus, don’t forget to register your activity on eActivities so that the Union can notify College. College need to know who is at increased risk of requiring insurance cover at any time.

Travel Insurance

It is absolutely essential that anyone travelling outside of the UK on a Club, Society or Project activity has suitable travel insurance for the country they are visiting. The Club, Society or Project Officer in charge of a trip should ensure that

all participants are covered by suitable travel insurance, including search and rescue cover where appropriate. Organisers should check the Foreign & Commonwealth Office’s current travel advice before planning or embarking on an overseas trip, available online at

Some Club, Society or Project trips outside of the UK, which are of a representational nature, may be able to make use of the College’s Travel Insurance Policy.

Use of the College Travel Insurance is

Insurance cont...

Page 41: Principal Officers v2

Principal OfficersPage 41

subject to regular change, so please do not assume you are automatically covered. If you wish to make use ofthe College policy please contact the Membership Services Manager well in advance of your trip.

Details of the College’s Travel Insurance can be found online at

Groups wishing to make use of the policy should read the policy wording in detail to ascertain if the policy is suitable for their needs.

For Club, Society & Project trips the excess for personal property claims (such as mobile phones, cameras, iPods etc..) is £100. Participants are welcome to arrange independent cover for their personal possessions as they see fit.

Trip organisers need to be aware that the College’s Travel Insurance will be unlikely to respond to travel cancellation/disruption claims arising from a cause “which existed or the possibility of which existed and for which advance warning had been given before the date on which the Journey was booked”. It is likely that volcanic ash disruption and strikes will fall within this exclusion category.

Insurance cont...

Page 42: Principal Officers v2

Principal OfficersPage

Trip organisers are welcome to use whichever insurance provider they feel most suits their needs.

If there is a likelihood of foreseeable travel disruption over the time of a trip, organisers may conclude that it would be prudent to avoid incurring non-refundable expenditure until as close to departure date as is reasonably practicable, therefore reducing the likelihood and severity of any cancellation/curtailment claim arising.

Trip organisers are encouraged to look closely at the insurance policy they will be using for their trip and make participants aware of the details of that policy should the need for a claim arise. Queries can be directed to the Membership Services Manager.

Equipment Insurance

The Union has insurance for equipment under Imperial College’s Policy. It is important that your Club, Society or Project has an accurate Inventory of equipment to aid in any insurance claim.

The excess on this policy is £10,000 and it only covers pieces of equipment owned by the Union (this includes your Club, Society or Project). What the policy does not cover is equipment loaned to your Club, Society or Project, or property owned by individual members, even if

stored temporarily on Union premises. Insurance for items such as this should be arranged separately, preferably by the owner of the property.

To take account of possible claims for lost or damaged equipment which falls below the £10,000 excess value each Management Group holds a Contingency Fund to which Clubs, Societies & Projects may apply for small amounts. The Clubs & Societies

Insurance cont...

Page 43: Principal Officers v2

Principal OfficersPage 43

and Representation & Welfare Boards hold a larger contingency fund for more substantial claims.

Cancellation Insurance

If a Club, Society or Project is anticipating organising an event which has a reasonable possibility of being cancelled resulting in large irrecoverable costs then it would be advisable to take out some form of cancellation insurance. An example of such an event would be ashow with a large initial outlay on costumes, sets, venue etc.., where the audience are primarily external people.

A good example of such an event would be the Musical Theatre Society’s annual two week show which is hosted in Devon; the audience being made up of almost totally local people and holiday makers from Devon.

To arrange such insurance please contact the Membership Services Manager who can assist. Be aware that any insurance company are likely to need details of the activity being organised and the financial plans behind the activity, so its important to have a thorough itinerary and budget prepared.

Vehicle Insurance

Imperial College Union operates various vehicles including a fleet of minibuses. The Union makes use of the main Imperial College vehicle insurance policy, giving economies of scale when insuring vehicles. It is generally possible to arrange extra cover via our main insurers for other vehicles used by groups at very competitive rates, in some instancesfor nothing. These include vehicles lent or hired to a Club, Society or Project.

This includes vehicles being used in other countries, not just EU Countries. For details please contact the Membership

Insurance cont...

Page 44: Principal Officers v2

Principal OfficersPage

Services Manager in good time, and certainly before you accept a vehicleloan or arrange a hire.

Sport National Governing Bodies

National Governing Bodies (NGB) of various sports may offer some level of insurance as part of an affiliation fee. This affiliation fee may have to be paidindividually by the Group members (eg.BSAC for SCUBA diving) or by the group as a whole (eg. the RFU for Rugby Union). If any fees are payable by the Group as a whole it is very important that fees are paid on time as insurance may lapse. Any

insurance afforded by National Governing Body membership will be specific to each sport so it is important that the details are researched when paying the fees. For most sports this insurance is an added bonus, for some sports it is essential that members have this insurance in place before they participate, a particular example being Rugby.

External Instructors

Any person who is not a Club, Society or Project member and who is offering their services as an instructor (even if it is for free) is not covered by any of the Unionpolicies. It is vital that before engaging the services of an instructor it is clarified whether they have insurance, particularly liability insurance. Generally this will be provided by membership of theirrespective National Governing Body.


Imperial College Union also operates various other insurance policies. Examples include cover for boats,gliders and antique vehicles for which the respective Club, Society or Project is aware. If your Group has an insurance query or is doing something which doesnot fall into any of the categories above then please contact the Membership Services Manager.

Page 45: Principal Officers v2

Principal OfficersPage 45

Intellectual property

Intellectual property generated by students as part of their extra-curricular activities, such as activities undertaken through Clubs, Societies or Projects, may be owned by the students involved.

The Imperial College Intellectual Property Policy applies to extra-curricular activities undertaken by students, the policy is available online at The policy outlines circumstances in which students may not own IP generated from extra-curricular activities.

Members of Clubs, Societies & Projects who are staff members of the College are treated as College Employees within the Intellectual Property Policy.

Members of Clubs, Soceities & Projects who are neither current College students or staff members (such as former students or staff, current or former students from other institutions or others granted membership of Imperial College Union) are treated as Associates within the Intellectual Property Policy.

Any specific queries regarding intellectual property relating to extra-curricular activities should be directed to:

Dr Emma ToumiResearch Services DivisionLevel 1, Faculty [email protected]

Page 46: Principal Officers v2

Principal OfficersPage

Reporting & reviewing

Writing reports of your activities and conducting reviews are very important tasks, both to satisfy people who have helped you out and to make things better for next time.


For large events such as shows, major trips or tours you should write a report following the end of the activity. This may be a requirementment if you have received funding, particularly from the Union tours fund, the IC Trust or the Harlington Grants Committe.

A report can take many different forms. Generally a written account should be constructed which covers details of what the event was, who was responsible for running it, details of the location, preformances, travel arrangements and catering if appropriate. It should also include a financial breakdown of the events finances, together with a section detailing any difficulties encountered.

Most sponsors and donors will want to see a copy of the full report, so make sure it is accurate and well presented, as well as being written soon after the end of the event.

In addition to a full written report it is good to write a abbreviated version which can be used as a publicity tool to adverse your event and encourage more people to become involved in your Club, Society or Project. This type of

report can be sent to Felix for possible publication (contact the Felix Editor for details), included on your website or the Union or College website (contact the Central Services Manager for details). For more information about publishing reports see the Publicity training.


A part of your full report there should be a review of the activity. Ask yourself and the other organisers three broad questions:• What went well?• What didn’t go so well?• What improvements could be made?

The answers to these questions should give an idea of how a similar activity could be improved in the future. Make sure you write down your findings and pass them on to your successors. There is no point leaving them in a file somewhere.

Page 47: Principal Officers v2

Principal OfficersPage 47

Handover, Elections and AGMs

Before the end of the Spring Term each Club, Society & Project must have held a election to decide on who will run the Club, Society or Project during the next academic year. Usually the positions being elected are those on the committee of the Club, Society or Project, but the details will be contained within the Club, Society or Project’s constitution.

All Club, Society or Project elections must be conducted in accordance with Regulation 4 of the Union’s Constitution. The process of holding a Club, Society or Project election is about a three week process, so proper planning is required.

A Returning Officer must be appointed who is not standing as a candidate in the election. They are responsible for the fair conduct of the election. Guidance is available in the Running a Club, Society or Project Election booklet.

Specific details of who can stand for election to committee and other positions will be contained within your Club, Society or Project Constitution. It is important that everyone who can stand for a position has the opportunity to do so; make sure that all elections are well advertised and run well.


All voting during elections conducted at Imperial College Union, including those of Clubs, Societies & Projects is by Single Transferable Vote (STV). This cannot be negotiated, so it is important this rule is applied properly. Not conducting elections by STV may lead to appeals being lodged and the election being rerun by a different Returning Officer.

Details of the voting process for elections is contained within the Running a Club, Society or Project Election booklet, together with links to the Electoral Reform Society website where there are instructions of how to count the votes for an election conducted by STV.

Page 48: Principal Officers v2

Principal OfficersPage

Handover, Elections and AGMs cont...

Help with Elections

If you need help with running your Club, Society or Project election you should contact your Management Group Chair in the first instance, they may also be willing to act as the Returning Officer.

Annual General Meetings (AGM)

Each Club, Society or Project is generally required to conduct an Annual General Meeting. This is where the elections for the new committee generally take place, and is almost always held within the Spring Term, before the Easter holidays.

The AGM is a chance for each of the current committee members to make a report of the activities they have been undertaking for the previous year, and allow for the members to question them and hold them to account. It should also be a celebration of what has happened so far during the year. Good AGMs are always followed by a social activity all the members can participate in.


Handover is a vitally important process, and one that is sometimes forgotten in the mists of exam season. Make sure you tell the person taking over from you how the Club, Society or Project operates, what has gone on during your year in office and what is planned for the future.

To aid in the handover process a list of prompt questions is available online from to assist in making sure that all the correct information is handed over. Also, as the Principal Officer you need to ensure that other members of the committee are handing over information connected to their roles, particularly the Treasurer.

Page 49: Principal Officers v2

Principal OfficersPage 49

Appendix 1 – Management Groups

These positions are held by students who volunteer their time to carry out these roles.

Group Chair TreasurerACC Henry Abbot

acc[email protected] [email protected]

A&E Chandana [email protected]

Henry [email protected]

[email protected] [email protected]

CGCU Tsz Shing [email protected]

Patrick [email protected]

[email protected] [email protected]

ICSMSU Florence Chamberlain (Clubs & Societies Officer) [email protected]

Peter [email protected]

Media Charles [email protected]

Frank [email protected]

OSC Wenjun [email protected]

Theodoros [email protected]

[email protected] [email protected]

RCC Joakim [email protected]

Gareth [email protected]

RCSU Luke [email protected]

Karmen [email protected]

RSMU Richard [email protected]

Alexander [email protected]

SCC Kajann [email protected]

Rebecca [email protected]

Silw[email protected] [email protected]

Page 50: Principal Officers v2

Principal OfficersPage

Appendix 2 – Useful websites

Area Website address

British Universities & Colleges Sport (BUCS)

Fixtures Live

University of London Union Sports

Sport Imperial

Arts Imperial

FCO Travel Advice

College Waste Directory

International Office

Student Homepage

Page 51: Principal Officers v2

Principal OfficersPage 51

Appendix 3 – Common acronyms

BUCS – British Universities & Colleges Sport

CGCU - City & Guilds College Union

CSB - Clubs & Societies Board

DPCS – Deputy President (Clubs & Societies)

DPFS - Deputy President (Finance & Services)

ICSMSU – Imperial College School of Medicine Students’ Union

ICU – Imperial College Union

NGB – National Governing Body

RCA - Royal College of Art

RCM - Royal College of Music

RCSU - Royal College of Science Union

RSMU - Royal School of Mines Union

SAC – Student Activities Centre

ULU – University of London Union

Page 52: Principal Officers v2

Imperial College UnionBeit QuadranglePrince Consort RoadLondon SW7 2BB

Tel: 020 7594 8060Fax: 020 7594 8065Email: [email protected]: