Embed Size (px)
Transcript of Presentation Greenwashing
- 1.Greenwashing What? Why? Why not? And how to avoid it
2. What is Greenwashing? 3.
- Greenwash (grn'wsh', -wsh')verb: the act of misleading consumers regarding practices of a company or the environmental benefits of a product or service.
- 1 Greenwash ismisleadingthe public by stressing environmental credentials of a person, a product or an organization when these are unfounded or irrelevant
- 2 Greenwash is an environmental claim which is unsubstantiated (a fib) or irrelevant (a distraction)
- 3Its greenwashing when a company or organization spends more time and money claiming to be green through advertising and marketing than actually implementing business practices that minimize environmental impact.
7. Why doesgreenwashing happen? 8. It depends on how you look at it, But reasons are positive 9.
- 1 changing buying patterns in consumer markets
- CFC FREE | ORGANIC | FREE RANGE | CRUELTY FREE | BIO | DOPLPHIN FRIENDLY | NON TOXIC | BIODEGRADABLE | RECYCLABLE | ECO | CARBON NEUTRAL | FSC | AGAINST ANIMAL TESTING | VEGAN | FAIRTRADE | LOCAL | OZONE FRIENDLY | CARBON OFFSET
- CULTURAL CREATIVES | LOHAS | NEW WORLDS | BLUE GREENS ...
- They are all high-educated, involved, active, merely urban, double income, early-adapting, ...And marketers are starving to get them
13. Green is anew sort of good manners 14. Green isfashionable, delivers cool and social status 15. 16. 17. There is greenwashing, becauseweve passed a tipping point.Which is good 18.
- 2 Our education: were motivated to tell the storyin the most beautiful way
19. Isnt this how you would think of advertising milk? 20. The risk is that same can happenwith greenvertising. Sometimes we cannot blame ourselves Making things look nice is our nature 21. 22. Why all the fuss? Why is that so bad? 23.
- More complaints against advertising
- Undermining confidence in advertising
- Sabotage of environmental movement in business
- HonestlyIt is simply annoying
- Bad press attention
- And last but not least
- You dont want this kind of circus
- on your doorstep
25. 26. 2 ways you canavoid greenwashing 27.
- 1 Stick to the MAIN PRINCIPLE of Greenvertising:
- Green Marketing is not about making
- normal things seem green (greenwashing),
- it is about making green stuff seem normal
- 2 Be aware of the
- seven sins of Greenwashing:
30. Cut out and keep
- The sin of suggestive pictures
- The sin of the hidden trade off
- The sin of no proof
- The sin of vagueness
- The sin of irrelevance
- The sin of lesser of two evils
- The sin of fibbing
31. 1 The sin of suggestive pictures:
- Green images that indicate a (un-justified) green impact,
- like flowers blooming from exhaust pipes
32. 2The sin of the hidden trade off:
- Suggestion of being Green, based on a single environmental attribute, while blurring all other parameters which are maybe more important,like a Hummer that is claiming that it is a Hybrid
33. 3 The sin of no proof
- Claims that could be right, but are not supported by any evidence, or by any reliable third-
- party certification,like Household lamps that promote their energy efficiency without any supporting figures or certification.
34. 4The sin of vagueness
- Claims that are expressed with fluffy language with no clear meaning ,
- like planet-friendly packaging
35. 5The sin of irrelevance
- environmental claims that are redundantand unimportant for customers
- seeking environmentally preferable products. It
- is irrelevant and therefore distracts the
- consumer from finding a truly greener option.
- Like unleaded fuel (all fuel in Europe is unleaded
36. 6 The sin of lesser of two evils
- These are green claims that may be true within
- the product category, but that risk
- distracting the consumer from the greater
- Health- or other negative
- impacts of the category as a whole
- Like organic cigarettes
37. 7 The sin of fibbing
- out-right lying, and produce
- totally fabricated claims or data
- Like driving climate neutral
- Lets get to practice:
- Find me 5 sins of Greenwashing in this ad
- Find me 5 good practices in this ad
- Sources/ Interesting reads:
- JOHN GRANT; The Green Marketing Manifesto
- BOB WILLARD; The next sustainability wave
- -The Greenwash Guide: terrachoice.com
- Inspiration for Direct
- Marketing: check
- You dont have to be
- perfect to do good
- Thanks for your attention!
- Mail me:
- Read my Green Marketing blog:
- http:// cause-encounters.blogspot.com