Portrait photography task
Embed Size (px)
Transcript of Portrait photography task
- 1. Unit 57: Photography andPhotographic PracticeResearch of otherphotographers work
- 2. Linda McCartney I am researching Linda McCartney, whowas a portrait photographer and marriedto Paul McCartney. She was born inSeptember 21st1941, and died on April17th1998. I smell She previously had onlystudied the photographing of Horses shewent on to photograph people such asJanis Joplin, Aretha Franklin and EricClapton.
- 3. Examples of photographs
- 4. This is one of Linda McCartneys photosof Mick Jagger and Keith Richards, withKeith seeming to be asleep whereasMick is in the middle of taking off hisglasses looking at something off thecamera. This photo would have beentaken early in their career around I think the main feature of thisphotograph is Mick and Keith with morefocus being on Mick as he is doingsomething in the image.
- 5. CompositionIf Linda McCartney had taken the picture from further away this photo would have includedother people, as you can see someones hand in the background, you would have also beenable to see they are on some kind of boat as there is water outside the window.
- 6. Techniques UsedI think the shutter speed would have been fast for this photo to get the photo asCrisp and as clear as he could. He used the rule of thirds so that the dome was to theLeft of the image.In this image he again would have used a fastShutter speed and also the rule of thirds to makeThe image more interesting and also because ofHow close he is to the man the size of himCompared to the rest of the image is a way ofShowing that he is the focus. And also that in everyImage that he does it is in black and white this beingAnsel Adams signature style.
- 7. Strengths and WeaknessesWhat I like is his use of black and white colour relying on the actual content insteadOf the colours to draw peoples attention, and also his use of the rule of three whichI think he uses in a way that because of the size of the focus of the image makes theImage even more interesting. I think a weakness though would be that sometimes theBlack and white is not so effective in some of his images and I think if I tried to do mostOf mine in black and white I would lose the effect I was trying to create.
- 8. Timothy AllenTimothy Allen is a photographer who has worked for the BBC and is a freelancePhotographer who focuses his work around Indonesia after a pivotal moment in hisLife when he went there to study, meeting an indigenous forest tribe. He alsoBecame part of the BBC Human Planet team being the first photographer to be soHe was to journey round with them shadowing them and taking photos.
- 9. Photo AnalysisThis is one of Timothy Allens photosHe uses lighting to make the imageMore vibrant and also to bring out theSmoke, which in essence I believeMakes the image what it is. For exampleHe ignore s the rule of three to get theImage he is going for and alsoBecause of the lack of light in theBackground I think that it makes youFocus more on the central image.
- 10. CompositionI think that if he had zoomed out we would have seen nothing else because of theFact it was pitch black this being the aim of the image in general so therefore thereIs nothing to see other than the man and the smoke. The message being conveyedWas the central focus on the man.
- 11. Techniques UsedI think the techniques used in this would have to be a fast shutter speed to catchThe smoke as it is rising, and a low ISO to capture the effect he has.
- 12. Strengths and WeaknessesI think the strengths of his photos is that he uses a fast shutter speed to get aCrispness to the image and also that he incorporates vibrant colours throughThe image and also uses a lot of people in his images mainly as they are the mainFocus and source of his images. I think the weaknesses though is that becauseSometimes in his photos he has multiple people it takes away a focus meaning thatYou cannot appreciate the image as you are too busy trying to look at everything.
- 13. Pascal MeunierPascal Meunier is a Paris based photojournalist andDocumentary photographer. He works mainly in the arabAnd Muslim world, reporting on culturally different placesSuch as Yemen, Iran, Libya and Egypt.
- 14. Photo AnalysisThis is one of Pascal Meuniers photos, IThink that he uses light and the lack of itEffectively here to bring out the coloursAnd where he wants to focus yourAttention, furthermore the colours that heFocuses on are the lights, walls and water.The man being the first thing that isBrought to your attention. And he is stoodWhere the center of the photo is based.He uses the rule of three in this photoAlso.
- 15. CompositionWith the composition of the photo if he had zoomed out or showed more what weWould have seen would have been the rest of the bath house, furthermore I think thatIf he had zoomed out though it may not have been as good as a photo as it was asThe rest of the building may not have been suited to the photo and by focusing on thatPoint it made the image more engrossing. Instead of making you look at everythingElse.
- 16. Techniques UsedThe techniques used in this would have been a quick shutter speed, the rule of threeAnd he has also used a cold colour to make the little colour there is stand out more,Through the use of colour balancing.
- 17. Strengths and WeaknessesI think using the colour balancing to get the effect of hot and cold colours and alsoThis would be useful in getting the mood of the photo but I also think that this dependsOn the style of the photo they would want to have taken.