Pilgrimage Jan 2009
Embed Size (px)
Transcript of Pilgrimage Jan 2009
2. Pilgrimage Fr. Simon Rundell SCP S. Thomas the Apostle, Elson 3. Outline
- Why make pilgrimage?
- What happens?
- Why it is special for me.
4. Official Story of Walsingham 5. The way we told it 6. Pilgrimage
- Secular Pilgrimage
8. Think for a moment of special locations for you what made them special? 9. Pilgrimage is associated with the sacredness of space 10. Sacred Space 11. Incarnation
- Christianity is concerned with incarnation God made flesh
12. Sacraments An outward physical sign of an inward spiritual grace 13. Major Sites of Christian Pilgrimage
- Way of the Cross orVia Dolorosa
14. Major Sites of Christian Pilgrimage
- Santiago de Compostela
15. and of course
16. The Shrine of Our Lady of Walsingham
- From March to October, Parishes and Individuals travel to North Norfolk
- Major events include:
- Youth Pilgrimage (12-18s)
- Childrens Pilgrimage (7-11s)
- National Pilgrimage
17. Shrine of Our Lady of Walsingham 18. What happens in Pilgrimage?
- The journey is as important as the destination
- Time out of usual activities
- Rest and recuperation
- Socialising and relaxing
- Prayer and Meditation
- Recall ChaucersCanterbury Tales
Archbishop Rowan Williams speaking on Walsingham 19. 20. 21. A Paradoxical Experience
- Communal and yet Private
- Balance of Corporate Worship and Private Devotion
- Balance of Religious and Secular Life
- More than simply a holiday
- Stations of the Cross
- Mass at the Holy House
- Healing & Annointing
23. What do I get out of Pilgrimage?
- Christianity is both an interior and exterior faith (St Theresa of Avila)
- External works (such as social action) are the outpouring of internal faith
- By their fruits they will be known
- Matthew 7:16
24. Fruits of the Spirit(Galatians 5:22-23) 25. Why Pilgrimage?
- By deepening my inner journey
- I am better equipped
- to build the Kingdom of God
26. What is the point of being a Christian? Jesus said, God's Spirit is on me;he's chosen me to preach themessage of good news to the poor,Sent me to announce pardon to prisoners andrecovery of sight to the blind,To set the burdened and battered free,to announce, "This is God's year to act!"Luke 4:18-19 27.
- It is through Gods love, that we seek to make the world a better place
What is the point of being a Christian? 28. Questions 29. Thank you