Pdms surface tension
Embed Size (px)
Transcript of Pdms surface tension
- 1. Contact Angle Measurement How does surface roughness affect the contact angle? M D Mali
- 2. Contact Angle: The angle at which liquid/vapor interface meets solid surface, measure of the ability of a liquid on a surface. Whenever the adhesive forces are stronger than the cohesive forces between the surfaces, the contact angle is acute. The reverse case gives obtuse contact angles. Contact angle depends on factors like temperature, humidity, solid surface roughness and static electricity etc. Physical properties of interaction between solids and liquid like wettability, affinity, adhesiveness and repellency can be studied. Being an aquatic plant and living in muddy habitats Lotus plants stay dirt-free without using detergent and expending energy.
- 3. Designing And Procedure To find a surface-dependence of contact angle, we used different surfaces of objects such as Iron sheet, aluminium foil, marble tile, sprite can, TLC and leaves of different plants. Used PDMS to get the patterns of surface ; we transfer red patterns used technique of Lithographic patterning of two dimensional structures. By doing so, we avoided material dependence of contact angle. Measured the contact angle of water droplet with the PDMS patterned surface. Water droplets of around 5L were used. Images of the different patterns were taken using Goniometer. Images of the surfaces were also taken at 10X resolution using microscope.
- 4. Results obtainedObject Contact AngleIron Sheet 103.218 HydrophobicAluminium Foil 99.930 HydrophobicTLC 81.174 HydrophilicMarble Tile 90.029 -Sprite Can 81.516 HydrophilicLeaf 1 65.692 HydrophilicLeaf 2 85.052 HydrophilicGlass Slide 65.824 hydrophilic
- 5. An attempt to establish a relation between surface roughness and contact angle is a verytricky one. But here we are! In general, the hydrophobic surface has a more rough surface in the sense that the distance between two consecutive peaks are small. We suspect that this is smaller than the size of the water droplet, which is hence unable to sit on the surface. The hydrophilic substances have larger interstitial spaces where the water droplets can fit comfortably. Glass slide TLC (Aluminium) Leaf Sprite Can
- 6. PDMS, in its most general form, is hydrophobic. The observed surface trendsmight change if we use a more hydrophilic substance in our experiment. Future ApplicationWater-proof paintsBetter understanding of wettability can help improve efficiency of fuel cellsConstruction of sticky surfacesDesign hydrophobic substances to improve food-packagingDetermine cleanliness of solid surfaces
- 7. REFERENCESWikipediaAsknature.orgKandlikar and SteinkeVinaykumar Konduru Thankyou