Ours will be the healthiest community in BC Okanagan Similkameen Healthy Living Coalition.
Embed Size (px)
Transcript of Ours will be the healthiest community in BC Okanagan Similkameen Healthy Living Coalition.
- Slide 1
- Ours will be the healthiest community in BC Okanagan Similkameen Healthy Living Coalition
- Slide 2
- Who we are Regional authorities: Municipalities (7) SDs (3) Indian Bands (2) RDOS Interior Health OS Healthy Living Society convenor UBCO Okanagan College Community working groups
- Slide 3
- May 2013 Regional Forum
- Slide 4
- Structure Community-driven, bottom up planning and delivery Enabling and supportive governance: Constellation Model Community Groups: Identify assets, gaps, opportunities, champions Spawn constellations Hub: Develop community capacity and competency Knowledge Transfer, Knowledge Exchange, Worldview Set scope; quality standards; grant writing support, project management, evaluation, data management, seed grants
- Slide 5
- Constellation Model
- Slide 6
- Our Approach Move beyond harm avoidance to reward pursuit: paradigm shift Health behavior determinants are complex, interactive and non-linear To be sustainable, healthy lifestyles must become a new norm Strategy for cultural change, not just a strategy for individual lifestyle change Success will be achieved through multipronged and simultaneous community-level interventions that reach a critical mass Social marketing will be key to success.
- Slide 7
- A Couple of Old Nuggets: Every system is perfectly designed to achieve exactly the results it gets. - W. Edwards Demming Culture eats strategy for breakfast - Peter Drucker
- Slide 8
- Success Lies in the Community Capacity (Quantitative) The number of people with the will and motivation to bring about change Competency (Qualitative) The knowledge and skills community champions bring to the task Understand and address the health challenge Understand and address the cultural challenge Understand and address complexity Capacity + Competency = Empowerment
- Slide 9
- Choices Make the healthy choice the easy choice Awareness Accessible Affordable Attractive
- Slide 10
- Choices Make the healthy choice the preferred choice Perceived reward Social norm Personal norm
- Slide 11
- Knowledge Classroom Coaching Internet Skills Demonstration Coaching Practice Confidence Coaching Mentoring Validation Reward Physical (satiety) Psychological (satisfaction) Social (belonging) Access Location Affordability Capacity Preferred Choice A Model For Mediators of Lifestyle Choice
- Slide 12
- Conclusion Emergence of sustainable healthy lifestyles is a challenge in personal and cultural NORMS Norms are based on authentic values, satisfaction and reward Personal norms are strongly influenced by community norms: the culture we live in and belong to Health and change management professionals dont have the cure: this rests with the individual and community Our role is to help them figure it out for themselves. We need to develop a curriculum for empowerment that recognizes complexity.
- Slide 13
- May 2013 Regional Forum