Optical illusions: Why we see ghosts
Embed Size (px)
Transcript of Optical illusions: Why we see ghosts
- 1.OPTICAL ILLUSIONS (and why we see ghosts)
- Is your Reason Sleeping?
The following mental experiments have been collated by Professor Vittorio Premuda of the Altman Institute. He is a world renowned neurologist - and what he wants to show you may seem quite disturbing. I have collected many famous experiments and assembled them here to help you to realize that what you are sure is the rational world - may in fact not be. Every day you take for granted that what you see with your own eyes is the truth and reality - well in fact it may not be. Through simple demonstration I will show you that for good reason you should not trust in what you see - but you must look deeper. Press SPACE to advance through the slides>> 3. Experiment 1
- The first demonstration will show you that your mind runs on autopilot. Your subconscious is actually running more of your life than you think.
- Read the following text and see if it is your conscious or subconscious that is functioning.
4. Msot pleope fnid it hrad to blveiee taht tehy can aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht tehy are rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid! Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer inwaht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig? But it dmsnoretaets taht your sucbnousicos is aulctlay in cornotl. 5. Experiment 2
- This next demonstration shows clearly how your eyes can be deceived. Every day, people around the world report strange phenomenon - but are they sure they can trust the evidence given to them by their own eyes. Do you trust your eyes? If you saw a ghost could you be sure?
- Look at the following picture and tell me - are the lines parallel or not.
6. 7. Experiment 3,4,5,6
- It is clear that static images can play strange tricks on our eyes. But people often say they have seen strange phenomenon that actually moved. My question is - is it possible that our eyes could actually create movement from nothing?
- The following pictures are static. Nothing is moving
8. 9. 10. 11. 12. Experiment 7
- So now we know that people seeing static images are deceived and often see movement when there is no movement. So how does the human mind react to movement? Is it possible that our mind can actually change aspects such as colour?
- The next experiment demonstrates clearly that everyday objects can easily be transformed by the human mind
13. Concentrate on the cross in the middle, after a while you will notice that this moving purple dot will turn green Look at the cross a bit longer and youll notice that all dots except the green one will disappear. 14. Experiment 8
- By now you will be starting to realize that you cannot simply trust in what you see. It is only when we add a second sense such as touch, can we start to rationalize what our mind is telling us. But how can one touch for example - a ghost
- For the next image, I want you to simply look at the picture and decide if you are seeing circles or a single coil?
- When you have done this, take you finger and trace one of the shapes to check
15. 16. Experiment 9
- So now we know that our eyes lie. I will now challenge your mind further. Many people report seeing ghosts, but based on the same principle as the last experiments, shapes can be seen when they dont really exist
- The following picture was taken in Croatia in 2006. People claim to see a small child in the image - just near one of the chairs Do you see the child - or are you seeing the effect of the straight lines of the radiator casting a human form by complex reflections from a shiny floor
17. 18. Experiment 10
- By now I hope you can see how your brain starts to make what it wants of shapes - ghosts - departed loved ones - UFOs Not convinced?
- Then follow the instructions of this last image and see what you brain presents to you
19. * Follow the instruction below.* 1) Stareat the 4 little dots on the middle of the picture for 30 seconds * 2) then look at a wall near you* 3) a bright spot will appear* 4) twinkle a few times and youll see a figure* 5) What do you see? Or even WHO do you see? 20.
- Is your Reason Sleeping?
In this series of short experiments I hope to have demonstrated that the mind is a complex object. People see what they want to see, and interpret the world as they wish to see it. You may have seen moving shapes in static images, dots that change colour, ghosts that do not exits and even a religious experience. I would suggest that following these experiments you visit the site http://www.thesleepofreason.com Take with you these experiences and then use your rationality to determine if what you see there is what it seems to be I think you will see the evidence with new eyes. Prof. V. Premuda Altmaninstitute.com